Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Lovin' My Phone

Question Screen suddenly black and then would not start up

Ok, so this happened to my fiancé's Droid Maxx a few months ago and it happened to me yesterday.

I had been using my phone as I normally would and I put it down. I went to check on a return text and the screen had gone dark. I pressed to wake up the phone and nothing. I held down the power button thinking it somehow turned itself off (which it seems it did) and it would not power back up. I put it on the charger, thinking that perhaps I didn't notice the battery had drained to zero and it still would not turn back on.

Finally, after continually holding the power button down to turn it, it came back to life.

What the heck? Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Also, so I don't have to call Verizon, does anyone know how to trigger a battery pull since we can't pull these batteries.

Thanks!!
    ~Janet~

Default Re: Screen suddenly black and then would not start up

No, I don't know why it happens. I suspect that it's just something critical that has crashed, and can probably be best managed by restarting the phone regularly. It happened to me once, a few weeks ago, and it worried me a lot (and prompted the decision to go through a factory reset.)

You do the equivalent of a battery pull by holding the power button for 7-10 seconds. See https://motorola-global-portal.custh...w/unresponsive
    Thanked by:

Same thing happened to my Galaxy s4. A battery pull did do the trick for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    No, I don't know why it happens. I suspect that it's just something critical that has crashed, and can probably be best managed by restarting the phone regularly. It happened to me once, a few weeks ago, and it worried me a lot (and prompted the decision to go through a factory reset.)

You do the equivalent of a battery pull by holding the power button for 7-10 seconds. See https://motorola-global-portal.custh...w/unresponsive

Thank you. I probably did not hold the power button down long enough.
    ~Janet~

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post

This has happened to my husbands Maxx twice. First time he was at home and it went black and wouldn't come back up. He gave it to me to see if I could power it back on and I plugged it in and held the power button down for about 15 seconds and it came back. It happened to him at work a couple of weeks later and he called me because he had held the power button down for about the same amount of time and it wouldn't come back on. I told him to press it and keep holding for as long as it took and don't let up. He did that and it took about 20 to 30 seconds but it came on. That was about 3 months ago and it hasn't happened since. (He didn't have a low battery either time.) Don't know what causes it, but it's never happened with my Ultra......so far. :-/
    Thanked by:

I've also experienced this on my Note 2014
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post

I know when this happened to me I was really worried when nothing seemed to happen as I held down power (at the time I wasn't sure of what the battery pull equivalent procedure was, so I started with the long-press power.) It sure seemed like it took a long time before I saw that Motorola logo when it restarted, finally. As I said, it's been fine since (and, as I said, a few days later I did a long-planned factory reset and reinstall from scratch.)
    skatergirl likes this.

At one stage I thought I had traced it to a bug in Aquamail, which was responsible for sudden excessive battery drain.The bug in this excellent app has now been fixed, and I've had no further instances of this.....touch wood!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...te-2014-a.html....
    more info here.
    Since the Aquamail update, it's not happened again, but this admittedly is a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Law View Post
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...te-2014-a.html....
    more info here.
    Since the Aquamail update, it's not happened again, but this admittedly is a longshot.
    That definitely wasn't my problem. The phone was just unresponsive. I had pulled it from power about an hour before it happened to me, and the battery was normal, in the 90s still, when it restarted.