Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default caller ID?

    so new to the Droid Maxx and for the first few days when I got the phone, when the phone rang it would show then name (if available) of the caller (not a stored number) but I no longer get the caller ID when the pone rings.
    I see a setting in ringer but it reads out the name/number than rings.
    I would like to have it ring and just show the name if available of the number calling me.

    Thanks,
    Droid MAXX 32GB
    OS- 4.4 KK

    RIP- GNEX- you were fun to hack and install AOKP ROMS, but your time is over.
  2. #2  
    LabRat's Avatar

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    I use the app "Caller Name ID".
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanth269 View Post
    so new to the Droid Maxx and for the first few days when I got the phone, when the phone rang it would show then name (if available) of the caller (not a stored number) but I no longer get the caller ID when the pone rings.
    I see a setting in ringer but it reads out the name/number than rings.
    I would like to have it ring and just show the name if available of the number calling me.

    Thanks,
    At least on Verizon, when you get a new smartphone, they give you a free trial of "Caller Name ID". This shows up in your My Account web page as a feature. After the trial expires, you can pay $2.99/mo on your Verizon account to continue it. I don't know how it works for other providers.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-15-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    LabRat's Avatar

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    I was wrong, the app that I use is Current Caller ID.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I was wrong, the app that I use is Current Caller ID.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Best app out there for this. You can not disable it from popping up on contacts you have in your phone book. Free and reliable.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Best app out there for this. You can not disable it from popping up on contacts you have in your phone book. Free and reliable.
    How does Current Caller ID work? The stock app uses name information sent by the provider during call setup along with the caller id number, and the provider won't send that info unless you pay them to. This is also how it it works with landline caller name/id. OTOH, I think third-party apps on smartphones do a network lookup on the number to get the name, which can be different from the name provided by the provider.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    How does Current Caller ID work? The stock app uses name information sent by the provider during call setup along with the caller id number, and the provider won't send that info unless you pay them to. This is also how it it works with landline caller name/id. OTOH, I think third-party apps on smartphones do a network lookup on the number to get the name, which can be different from the name provided by the provider.
    Current Caller ID is owned by White Pages and the info is sent through their service.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  8. #8  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,345 Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Here is the link for the Current Caller ID.

    I love it. Works great.


    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...callerid&hl=en
    ~Janet~
  9. #9  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Just wondering if there is any lag with Current Caller ID. With the stock app, the name pops up instantly, since the name is sent by the system along with the number as part of the voice call setup protocol.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: caller ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Just wondering if there is any lag with Current Caller ID. With the stock app, the name pops up instantly, since the name is sent by the system along with the number as part of the voice call setup protocol.
    Nope, its real quick.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Thanked by:
    RivertonPaul likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
  2. **URGENT** Callers cant hear my voice on call
    By Sanjay Singh7 in forum AT&T HTC One
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
  3. Galaxy S5: Incoming caller read out
    By smilein in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 01:21 PM
  4. Caller ID picture
    By newtda513 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 07:59 AM
  5. Remove Verizon Caller Name ID... HELP!
    By smd4usc in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions