Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Installed the update yesteray morning and phone immediately started losing battery at a higher rate then I have ever seen on The Maxx. I bought this phone for the battery and have loved it the past six months, I got 2 days on it all the time. Now im seeing not even 24 hours. Cleared cache but that didnt help. Hoping it might return to normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 143

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Installed the update yesteray morning and phone immediately started losing battery at a higher rate then I have ever seen on The Maxx. I bought this phone for the battery and have loved it the past six months, I got 2 days on it all the time. Now im seeing not even 24 hours. Cleared cache but that didnt help. Hoping it might return to normal.
Nothing seems out of the ordinary with your battery stats. Are you using the phone in the same places (No change in signal strength?) and using the it the same amount of time?

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Using it exactly the same as I have been and at the same places. With About 2:45 of screen on time. Except the day before I downloaded the update i would have been at 35 hours of usage time to be at 15% and now just 20 hours. Wondering if maybe it will settle down and get back to normal after a full re charge from 0% to 100%. I really hope so bacause this phone is the best i have ever used.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Using it exactly the same as I have been and at the same places. With About 2:45 of screen on time. Except the day before I downloaded the update i would have been at 35 hours of usage time to be at 15% and now just 20 hours. Wondering if maybe it will settle down and get back to normal after a full re charge from 0% to 100%. I really hope so bacause this phone is the best i have ever used.

I'd give it a few days, as an OS upgrade can take a while to "settle in." If the issue persists then I'd be worried.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You should tap the graph at the top of the battery stats screen and see if the phone has a lot of awake time with the screen off. You may have, coincidentally, had an app update that is not working right, keeping the phone awake.

Also, 2:45 of screen on time in 21 hours having that much battery use? I would never have that high a battery use for the screen in 2:45 over 21 hours (screen is almost always second or third on my list.) Is there a chance that the brightness is pegged all of the way up, rather than set to automatic or less bright?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You should tap the graph at the top of the battery stats screen and see if the phone has a lot of awake time with the screen off. You may have, coincidentally, had an app update that is not working right, keeping the phone awake.

Also, 2:45 of screen on time in 21 hours having that much battery use? I would never have that high a battery use for the screen in 2:45 over 21 hours (screen is almost always second or third on my list.) Is there a chance that the brightness is pegged all of the way up, rather than set to automatic or less bright?
I've never found that to be accurate. For my phone, screen is always first with usage being around 60% and that's with more than 14+ hours of up time. Some screenshots of the Note 3 I have seen, on the other hand, have screen at 20-40% even with 6+ hours of screen time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've never found that to be accurate. For my phone, screen is always first with usage being around 60% and that's with more than 14+ hours of up time. Some screenshots of the Note 3 I have seen, on the other hand, have screen at 20-40% even with 6+ hours of screen time.

I get you, but I'm going by what I have seen on my Maxx in 9 months now (and 5 months with 4.4). I know that not everybody has the same background processes, etc., but a huge difference in battery in one day, with screen being the highest on the list, when the screen was on only 7 minutes per hour of up time - it's just one of the first things that came to mind...

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I checked to make sure and the screen is on automatic brightness now, but i certainly could have had it on max brightness yesterday for a while as i used it outside in some bright NYC sun. But only for an hour perhaps. I also checked the "awake time" and it lined up in order with "screen on" time. But i'll do some checking to see if I have a runaway app in the back somewhere just to be sure. I appreciate your ideas guys, much thanks. Im thinking maybe the update just threw the battery process' into a temporary mess and a full over night re-charge from 0% will get things back to normal tomorrow.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes my life took a dive after this new update. Thinking about factory resetting. Google Play services skyrocketed on my stat menu. I know in past updates for other phones Google would separate different stats that we may have been compiled into another, for example Android OS would include Google services before they separated and made it standalone.

So far I've tried clearing Play Service cache and it hasn't helped. Going to clear system cache in recovery if I can before I reset.

I've noticed that the awake time has increase as well. Here are some screenshot.

Attachments

• 19292.jpg
    19292.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 19293.jpg
    19293.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 305

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes my life took a dive after this new update. Thinking about factory resetting. Google Play services skyrocketed on my stat menu. I know in past updates for other phones Google would separate different stats that we may have been compiled into another, for example Android OS would include Google services before they separated and made it standalone.

Yes, Play Services has been high for me a lot lately, but it was the same before the OTA.

There is a new update to Google Play Services that's been rolling out - 4.4.52, from 4.3.something last week. Unfortunately, you can't force the update; it comes when it comes. (Well, I guess you can sideload it if you get the .apk.) I don't check it every day, but I know it updated pretty recently, and maybe coincident with the OTA. Right now I don't have "Google Play Services" on my list, but I do have a "Google Services". It's at only 5%, though it's kept the phone awake 36 minutes in 5 hours 40 minutes.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Play Services has been high for me a lot lately, but it was the same before the OTA.

There is a new update to Google Play Services that's been rolling out - 4.4.52, from 4.3.something last week. Unfortunately, you can't force the update; it comes when it comes. (Well, I guess you can sideload it if you get the .apk.) I don't check it every day, but I know it updated pretty recently, and maybe coincident with the OTA. Right now I don't have "Google Play Services" on my list, but I do have a "Google Services". It's at only 5%, though it's kept the phone awake 36 minutes in 5 hours 40 minutes.

I've sideloaded the update for Google Play Services. Im unsure yet weather the new system update is displaying awake usage more correct now, or if my phone is more awake now.

Attachments

• 19294.jpg
    19294.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 283

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've sideloaded the update for Google Play Services. Im unsure yet weather the new system update is displaying awake usage more correct now, or if my phone is more awake now.

One more thing, and I can't believe I didn't mention it in my last post, because the story just came out yesterday: apparently there is a battery use issue with Hangouts 2.1, but it may be only if you use the app for SMS (and especially if you have a lot of stored messages.) I was using it for SMS, though I don't have many messages stored, because I did a factory reset a few weeks ago. I switched back to Messaging temporarily yesterday when I read about this. Actually, battery does seem slightly better today, but it's probably too early to tell if it really is different.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Very normal to see battery life fluctuate after update. Best to clear cache, backup and delete mms, and always always always reboot once a week

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to look this up. I use Hangouts as my sms as well. I work where my service is horrible so battery life is sure to take a hit. But since I bought this last August, my average battery life is just below 12 hours. Fat from that advertised 48 hours! Still love this phone though.

Posted via Android Central App

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I've been reading the reviews on the latest google play services and people are complaining that it's draining their battery severely, so I'm not updating it until they fix it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading the reviews on the latest google play services and people are complaining that it's draining their battery severely, so I'm not updating it until they fix it.

Far more people don't have the issue, than those that do. It's just that the people who have it are likely to be more vocal.
Pretty sure that you can't use Google Now, YouTube or any of Google's apps without the updated services.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I let the battery get to zero and did a full re-charge over night. Unfortunately the phone is performing exactly as it has since the update getting me about half the time as it used to. 2 hours on with almost no usage and at 91%. Very upsetting to say the least. I can find no reason for it, nothing seems to be running in the background. Im thinking maybe a factory reset will possibly return it to proper functionality but i really have no idea if thats a legit solution. Cant put into words how pissed i am at verizon right now for forcing this update on me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 63

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure nothing is wrong with your phone man. As has been stated on theses forums multiple times, give it several days after an update to "settle in". Try the safe mode, and after a few more days if it is still not improving, do a FDR. You could also try clearing data in some apps such as google play services, framework, motocare etc. before doing the FDR. It's probably either a system glitch or simply the phone needing to calibrate to the update which is making the drain seem excessive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084