Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?

Installed the update yesteray morning and phone immediately started losing battery at a higher rate then I have ever seen on The Maxx. I bought this phone for the battery and have loved it the past six months, I got 2 days on it all the time. Now im seeing not even 24 hours. Cleared cache but that didnt help. Hoping it might return to normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?-image.jpg  

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default re: Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron John View Post
    Installed the update yesteray morning and phone immediately started losing battery at a higher rate then I have ever seen on The Maxx. I bought this phone for the battery and have loved it the past six months, I got 2 days on it all the time. Now im seeing not even 24 hours. Cleared cache but that didnt help. Hoping it might return to normal.
    Nothing seems out of the ordinary with your battery stats. Are you using the phone in the same places (No change in signal strength?) and using the it the same amount of time?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Using it exactly the same as I have been and at the same places. With About 2:45 of screen on time. Except the day before I downloaded the update i would have been at 35 hours of usage time to be at 15% and now just 20 hours. Wondering if maybe it will settle down and get back to normal after a full re charge from 0% to 100%. I really hope so bacause this phone is the best i have ever used.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Using it exactly the same as I have been and at the same places. With About 2:45 of screen on time. Except the day before I downloaded the update i would have been at 35 hours of usage time to be at 15% and now just 20 hours. Wondering if maybe it will settle down and get back to normal after a full re charge from 0% to 100%. I really hope so bacause this phone is the best i have ever used.
    I'd give it a few days, as an OS upgrade can take a while to "settle in." If the issue persists then I'd be worried.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

You should tap the graph at the top of the battery stats screen and see if the phone has a lot of awake time with the screen off. You may have, coincidentally, had an app update that is not working right, keeping the phone awake.

Also, 2:45 of screen on time in 21 hours having that much battery use? I would never have that high a battery use for the screen in 2:45 over 21 hours (screen is almost always second or third on my list.) Is there a chance that the brightness is pegged all of the way up, rather than set to automatic or less bright?

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    You should tap the graph at the top of the battery stats screen and see if the phone has a lot of awake time with the screen off. You may have, coincidentally, had an app update that is not working right, keeping the phone awake.

Also, 2:45 of screen on time in 21 hours having that much battery use? I would never have that high a battery use for the screen in 2:45 over 21 hours (screen is almost always second or third on my list.) Is there a chance that the brightness is pegged all of the way up, rather than set to automatic or less bright?
    I've never found that to be accurate. For my phone, screen is always first with usage being around 60% and that's with more than 14+ hours of up time. Some screenshots of the Note 3 I have seen, on the other hand, have screen at 20-40% even with 6+ hours of screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I've never found that to be accurate. For my phone, screen is always first with usage being around 60% and that's with more than 14+ hours of up time. Some screenshots of the Note 3 I have seen, on the other hand, have screen at 20-40% even with 6+ hours of screen time.
    I get you, but I'm going by what I have seen on my Maxx in 9 months now (and 5 months with 4.4). I know that not everybody has the same background processes, etc., but a huge difference in battery in one day, with screen being the highest on the list, when the screen was on only 7 minutes per hour of up time - it's just one of the first things that came to mind...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I checked to make sure and the screen is on automatic brightness now, but i certainly could have had it on max brightness yesterday for a while as i used it outside in some bright NYC sun. But only for an hour perhaps. I also checked the "awake time" and it lined up in order with "screen on" time. But i'll do some checking to see if I have a runaway app in the back somewhere just to be sure. I appreciate your ideas guys, much thanks. Im thinking maybe the update just threw the battery process' into a temporary mess and a full over night re-charge from 0% will get things back to normal tomorrow.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock

Yes my life took a dive after this new update. Thinking about factory resetting. Google Play services skyrocketed on my stat menu. I know in past updates for other phones Google would separate different stats that we may have been compiled into another, for example Android OS would include Google services before they separated and made it standalone.

So far I've tried clearing Play Service cache and it hasn't helped. Going to clear system cache in recovery if I can before I reset.

I've noticed that the awake time has increase as well. Here are some screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?-19292.jpg   Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?-19293.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    Yes my life took a dive after this new update. Thinking about factory resetting. Google Play services skyrocketed on my stat menu. I know in past updates for other phones Google would separate different stats that we may have been compiled into another, for example Android OS would include Google services before they separated and made it standalone.
    Yes, Play Services has been high for me a lot lately, but it was the same before the OTA.

There is a new update to Google Play Services that's been rolling out - 4.4.52, from 4.3.something last week. Unfortunately, you can't force the update; it comes when it comes. (Well, I guess you can sideload it if you get the .apk.) I don't check it every day, but I know it updated pretty recently, and maybe coincident with the OTA. Right now I don't have "Google Play Services" on my list, but I do have a "Google Services". It's at only 5%, though it's kept the phone awake 36 minutes in 5 hours 40 minutes.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock

Yes, Play Services has been high for me a lot lately, but it was the same before the OTA.

There is a new update to Google Play Services that's been rolling out - 4.4.52, from 4.3.something last week. Unfortunately, you can't force the update; it comes when it comes. (Well, I guess you can sideload it if you get the .apk.) I don't check it every day, but I know it updated pretty recently, and maybe coincident with the OTA. Right now I don't have "Google Play Services" on my list, but I do have a "Google Services". It's at only 5%, though it's kept the phone awake 36 minutes in 5 hours 40 minutes.
    I've sideloaded the update for Google Play Services. Im unsure yet weather the new system update is displaying awake usage more correct now, or if my phone is more awake now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?-19294.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    I've sideloaded the update for Google Play Services. Im unsure yet weather the new system update is displaying awake usage more correct now, or if my phone is more awake now.
    One more thing, and I can't believe I didn't mention it in my last post, because the story just came out yesterday: apparently there is a battery use issue with Hangouts 2.1, but it may be only if you use the app for SMS (and especially if you have a lot of stored messages.) I was using it for SMS, though I don't have many messages stored, because I did a factory reset a few weeks ago. I switched back to Messaging temporarily yesterday when I read about this. Actually, battery does seem slightly better today, but it's probably too early to tell if it really is different.
    Thanked by 2:

Very normal to see battery life fluctuate after update. Best to clear cache, backup and delete mms, and always always always reboot once a week

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

I'm going to look this up. I use Hangouts as my sms as well. I work where my service is horrible so battery life is sure to take a hit. But since I bought this last August, my average battery life is just below 12 hours. Fat from that advertised 48 hours! Still love this phone though.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I've been reading the reviews on the latest google play services and people are complaining that it's draining their battery severely, so I'm not updating it until they fix it.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by mspace81 View Post
    I've been reading the reviews on the latest google play services and people are complaining that it's draining their battery severely, so I'm not updating it until they fix it.

Far more people don't have the issue, than those that do. It's just that the people who have it are likely to be more vocal.
    Pretty sure that you can't use Google Now, YouTube or any of Google's apps without the updated services.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Well I let the battery get to zero and did a full re-charge over night. Unfortunately the phone is performing exactly as it has since the update getting me about half the time as it used to. 2 hours on with almost no usage and at 91%. Very upsetting to say the least. I can find no reason for it, nothing seems to be running in the background. Im thinking maybe a factory reset will possibly return it to proper functionality but i really have no idea if thats a legit solution. Cant put into words how pissed i am at verizon right now for forcing this update on me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Maxx Battery Time cut in half after May update! Anybody else?-image.jpg  

Have you tried booting into safe mode?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Trying that now actually. Before a factory reset, and then i guess heading to verizon and asking for a replacement phone.

I'm sure nothing is wrong with your phone man. As has been stated on theses forums multiple times, give it several days after an update to "settle in". Try the safe mode, and after a few more days if it is still not improving, do a FDR. You could also try clearing data in some apps such as google play services, framework, motocare etc. before doing the FDR. It's probably either a system glitch or simply the phone needing to calibrate to the update which is making the drain seem excessive.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I guess i just cant stand waiting around hoping it will just work itself out. Down to 76% in 3 1/2 hours now. Thats incredibly bad on this phone. The fact that verizon has stopped or is about to stop shipping the 32 gb Maxx and only the 16gb is perhaps making me more anxious to get this sorted out so i dont wind up with a replacement 16gb in a week. Maybe its just time i throw caution to the wind and go back to my old Treo 600, great battery life and a dope stylus.

Trying that now actually. Before a factory reset, and then i guess heading to verizon and asking for a replacement phone.
    I can't believe that there is anything wrong with the actual phone. I'd try a factory reset, if all else fails, before getting a factory refurbished phone.

I do know that one of the points in the change log for the Moto X when it went from 4.4 to 4.4.2 was fixing a problem that caused battery drain in some phones, so it may be worth waiting through another month or two (hopefully) and see if an update fixes it.

I've realized that I'm hardly using Google Now anymore for anything useful, so I'm going to see if turning it off completely, and turning off location tracking and history, will cut back a bit on battery drain.

And, again, if you are using Hangouts for text messaging, you may want to switch temporarily back to Messaging while Google works out the battery drain issues with Hangouts 2.1 as an SMS client.

My awake time is 100%. How do I trace that to what is keeping it awake?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My battery is approximately half of what it was before the update and my awake time is also 100%. I've made no other changes to phone. How do you do a factor reset?

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I cleared my cache partition and now my battery life is back to approximately where it was. Not sure if that helped, or whether it was merely coincidental, but you may want to think about trying that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast