Upset I can't make my own ringtones!!!

Elizabeth Margoshes

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ugh, just replaced my Motorola Bionic with a Droid Maxx. I am upset because, apparently because of OS update (?) it's not possible to put your own ringtones on there -- something I love to do. I've used Ringdroid and another app and both wind up making a single "clunk" sound, even though the actual ringtone plays fine in the Ringdroid app. I've googled this and a number of other people are having this same experience.

On my Bionic I had no trouble with this. I would download ("favorite") a song in my Dropbox, it would automatically go into WinAmp (now DEAD), and WinAmp gave me a "Set Ringtone" option. I wonder if there's a way to transfer the WinAmp app from the Bionic to the Maxx (not having an SD card in the Maxx is not so helpful either!) -- however I have a feeling that, even if saved in that manner, the Maxx will not allow me to make it a ringtone.

Has anyone here had any success with making your own ringtones with this latest version of whatever the silly name is for this OS (I forget, -- so many silly names to remember!) and can bypass this stupid flaw? Making my own ringtones is one of the joys of my simple life.

Also I'm not finding that the battery life of the Maxx is as wonderful as touted, and I'm reading that this latest OS version may be responsible for that too. Should I return this phone to Verizon and go back to my battery-flawed Bionic? thanks

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you already have the ringtones created (and it sounds like you do in dropbox), store them in a folder called "Ringtones" anywhere on the storage of the phone. So, in the Dropbox app, tap the small control on the right side of the name of the file. That will pop up a menu - choose "more", then "Export". Choose the top option, "Save to SD card" - this should put you in internal storage, with a list of folders and maybe some files. If you see a folder called "Ringtones", tap that, and then tap the green "Export" button. If you don't see a folder called "Ringtones" already, tap the control on the top right (which looks like a folder with a "+" in it). It will ask you to name the folder - call it "Ringtones", without the quotes, and the "s" at the end is important - then export the file there. Once you have one file there, you can export as many as you want there.

If you want them to be notification ringtones, call the folder "Notifications". If you want it to be an alarm, call the folder "Alarms". Any music files that are in a folder called "Ringtones", "Notifications", or "Alarms" will then show up in the respective picker for each item.

I have never used Ringdroid myself, but, to be honest, I thought that this app sort of automated all of that for you. It doesn't matter - you can do it right from the Dropbox app on the phone. If you have set up your computer to be able to copy files over when you connect it to the phone via USB, you can do the same thing from the computer - create those folders, if they don't already exist, and drop any music file (MP3, iTunes AAC, or Ogg Vorbis files I know all work) into that folder and the phone will show those items in the ringtone/notification/alarm picker.

Elizabeth Margoshes

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I didn't give you a complete picture before. I have actually made the ringtones and the Ringdroid app easily put them on the Ringtone list. But when I play them they go "Clunk" ( basic notification sound) rather than play them the way they were saved -- the phone converts each one to this "clunk." So I'm not asking you how to save ringtones on this phone -- I'm asking you how to override this awful BUG that seems to be a function of this operating system of the phone that is ruining my perfectly competent ways of saving these ringtones!

One question: is there any way for me to access the internal storage of this thing without going from e.g. Dropbox? I did Export from Dropbox in the way that you said and I hit "SD card" (which was a nice hint, since I had previously ignored that since there is no SD card!) ,and it saved it to the internal storage, and there is a Ringtones folder, but I can't seem to get a new ringtone I just made (I'm still experimenting) to get into that Ringtones folder. Can you give me any more help here?

I hate it when we're supposed to be "blind" about our phones. And thank you again.

Elizabeth Margoshes

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh my god, I rebooted and my ringtones are working!!!!!

I always forget that the first line of defense is a REBOOT!!!

thank you anyway. It would be useful to figure out something more about the guts of this phone.

Last edited:

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
For whatever reason, today my battery life has probably been the best I've ever gotten. And this is about a week and a half after receiving the update.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1401077350794.jpg
    1401077350794.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1401077363362.jpg
    1401077363362.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member