Default Messaging app always shows a '1' unread count

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Droid MAXX is having an issue with the default Messaging app. It always shows a '1' unread count on the app icon. I've tried clearing the app data, the cache, soft rebooting (holding the power and volume up buttons at the same time), and that '1' count doesn't go away. Anyone else seeing this issue, or maybe has a solution to this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try wiping the system cache partition: https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/93895/p/30,6720,8697/kw/cache/action/auth

Another thing you could try is to clear the cache from the Launcher app. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Launcher (it might also be called Homescreen), and Clear Cache. If that doesn't work, you could also try Clear Data, but this would reset your homescreens, and you'd have to set them back up again from scratch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The number that is placed on the icon is actually placed by an app called "Badger". You can't clear data from that app, but if you go into settings / apps and choose Badger, look to see if show notifications is unchecked. You could also try force stopping the app and restarting the phone.

One other thing to try is to go into settings / more (under "wireless and networks") and messaging and make Hangouts the default messaging app. Open Hangouts and see if there are any unread messages. You can then switch back to Messaging as the default messaging client. Again, you can't wipe data from that "app", but you can try force stopping and restarting the phone.

Wiping data for the Messaging app (I don't think) helps much. That's just a client - messages are actually stored in an app called Phone/Messaging Storage.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same thing. Also ever since the last update my messaging app has been all kinds of messed up with force closes and not receiving a lot of messages, even though I would receive some of the messages on my Pebble. Wasn't sure if it was from that or 1 of 2 app updates, Pebble app or the new Motorola app they put into the Play store for updates. Uninstalled updates or apps if i could, wiped cache and still had problems. Got fed up and just switched to Textra for now. The rest of the phone has been working fine. Just the stock messaging had problems

adamsro

May 29, 2014
Visit site
After reading many forums and trying many things, the suggestion to switch to Hangouts then switch back worked to clear my notification. Hangouts displayed a message that the default app did not. I believe this started when I turned my phone on, was receiving a new text and an Android update interrupted me at the same time.
Thanks!

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm switching the default messaging app to Hangouts to see if there's any hidden messages worked. There was a text (MMS) that was registered as an Unknown Sender, but in reality it was an MMS text from my wife's dad that somehow slipped through the cracks. I was able to delete it, and all is well

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue but my specific issue was some new text messages or group messages weren't pushed to the top of the list. I would have to scroll down the list of text groups until somewhere near the bottom was a new unread text.

If it happens again make sure there isn't an unread text lower in your lists of conversations.

On a side note I couldn't find a fix since my most used group text would not bump to the top when I got a new text I just switched over to hangouts.

Posted via Android Central App

BaseballTed

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I have had this problem for a while with my droid mini, which is basically the same phone, and every time, this app fixes it. It is called reset unread SMS in the play store... Good luck!

alex-online

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Most probably, the cause and the solution is very easy. You just deleted (archived) unread message. Go to Archived messages (three dots on the right-top) and read/delete it.

fastreplies

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I could solve the similar issue by installing and choosing Google Messenger as default messaging app.Google messenger found the unread message.

Joy francisco

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
My wife's Droid MAXX is having an issue with the default Messaging app. It always shows a '1' unread count on the app icon. I've tried clearing the app data, the cache, soft rebooting (holding the power and volume up buttons at the same time), and that '1' count doesn't go away. Anyone else seeing this issue, or maybe has a solution to this problem?

GH-plasma

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
This worked for me. When I switched to Hangouts as the default for messages, I didn't see any unread SMS message per se, but the process of switching back to Google Messenger may have forced some kind of reinitialization of the unread message count, and now everything works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel