What is the purpose of "Groups" in people? It doesn't work for messaging!

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Am I not using "groups" correctly?

I want to create a group that consist of people that I text as a group on a regular basis. Yes...I can group message but I have to type in each individual's name each time I want to text each time I want to text them. I would have thought that the "Group" function in people would allow me to message members of the group by now.

I really don't want to use a 3rd party app for this. I like the gui of the stock messaging app

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It was not well thought-out by Motorola. Groups exist on Google Contacts on the web, so I think that's why the People app shows the groups as well. It is a good way to restrict which contacts show up in People - that's one use for them (I have some groups of contacts that I don't need to see on my phone, so I have them so that they don't show up.) In the People app, when looking at All Contacts, it's the menu / Contacts to display / Customize.

Even Hangouts as an SMS client cannot send message to defined groups - though you can send messages to Google+ circles (though I assume that they are Hangouts messages rather than SMS messages - I've not tried it, since I don't use G+ circled for much of anything.)

I've read before that Google contacts are a hack that Google quickly put together when they were creating Gmail ten years ago, and I don't think that Google has paid much attention to contacts since then, either. I know that you can email to groups on the GMail web client, but I just tried it on the Android client and it is equally clueless that they exist. If you type the name of the group in the "To:" field it just does a search of individual contacts.

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Perkdog65....does GroupU work around the issue of only messaging 20 people at a time regardless of how many people are in the group?

I tried a different third-party app earlier that only sent my message to 20 people in my group... Even though there are 28 people in the group.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Perkdog65....does GroupU work around the issue of only messaging 20 people at a time regardless of how many people are in the group?

I tried a different third-party app earlier that only sent my message to 20 people in my group... Even though there are 28 people in the group.
I don't have a group that big to give it a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21