| || |
Re: Droid Maxx Virus
One gets that message for one reason only. Usually trying to view sites that can be illegal. The Trojan Malware will download like "Droid Porn." And if you install it, it may lock out your phone altogether, until you pay money to unlock it. There is nothing you can do but destroy the phone. Another type of message from the FBI doesn't lock out your phone but the message locks out your browser. The only way to get that off your phone, is to reset your phone. Otherwise, you can't browse the Internet. A couple people I know had that problem.
Originally Posted by wisdom
This is correct there are 2 different types. I have had this occur for me on a news site. It is a virus/ Trojan and it is a browser highjacker from what I understand. It downloaded itself onto my android device with the usual pay fbi message. If you open the download then you are screwed and am not sure how to remove it other than safe mode. To prevent this from happening make sure you do not allow downloads from third party sites in your device settings.
It is a Sofisticated scam run by fraudsters. DO NOT PAY THE MONEY! It will not unlock your device. They have imitated fbi credentials etc and it is a scare scam.
The way I removed the browser highjacker was actually simple enough in my case.
1. As I opened my browser (chrome for android) I closed tab, you have to be quick before the page completely loads
2. Dl and run Malwarebytes which should pick up the Trojan and remove
3. Go into device 'downloads' and delete the apk so it is completely removed from device
4. Smile because you should be back in business
5. If not....turn off device and restart in safe mode. ....then do as above.
6. If on PC it is a good idea in addition to virus protection to dl softwares Malwarebytes and hitman pro. MB will scan and remove or quarantine Malware and viruses (freeversion) and hitman will do a deep register scan and routinely finds threats, bloatware and nasties that even the best security misses. Once you identify the threat you can go into your registry and easily manually remove it.
7.You should also do a delete cookies....then go through your browser history and blacklist the site you got the virus. To blacklist type 127.0.0.1 (space) then www. (Site).com
Hope this helps