Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Has anyone else had extremely high Android OS usage today? For some odd reason, my battery is draining much faster today than it usually does and it appears as though Android OS is the culprit. I'd appreciate anyone's help on if they know of any Android bugs that might be causing this. I did not download any new apps or anything, so that should not be the issue.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    It happens to a lot of people occasionally. I'd reboot my phone and not worry about it. That usually does it for me
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    One quick thing to look at is settings, scroll down under accounts and choose "google", and see if you have a sync issue with one of your Google accounts. There should be a green circle if sync is good, and red if there is an issue. A bad sync will keep retrying and can drain the battery fast.
    Thanked by 2:
    ::Montgomery:: likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    I have checked everything and for whatever reason my Android OS is continuing to take up more resources than it was before and I am not sure why. I checked all of my accounts set to sync and there are no issues with any of them. Could it be a bug in one of my app's updates?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    I have checked everything and for whatever reason my Android OS is continuing to take up more resources than it was before and I am not sure why. I checked all of my accounts set to sync and there are no issues with any of them. Could it be a bug in one of my app's updates?
    Just wondering... Why does this bother you?

    Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Maxx
    4.4.4

    US Navy CPO Ret
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post
    Just wondering... Why does this bother you?

    Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    In some instances it causes unusual battery drain.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    I have checked everything and for whatever reason my Android OS is continuing to take up more resources than it was before and I am not sure why. I checked all of my accounts set to sync and there are no issues with any of them. Could it be a bug in one of my app's updates?
    I've found that sometimes it just randomly happens. Download GSam battery monitor and see if there's any unusual app usage.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Aha I missed the part about his battery in his ORIGINAL post. FWIW my Android OS is always at the top of my list, however, my battery is doing just fine.
    Droid Maxx
    4.4.4

    US Navy CPO Ret
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Exactly - the issue was that the Android OS usage was draining my battery at over twice the usual rate. The awake battery life seemed about the same, but the standby tanked. It's too bad we don't have some way to determine what is keeping our phones from going into deep sleep with KitKat, at least not that I have found.
  9. #9  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    Exactly - the issue was that the Android OS usage was draining my battery at over twice the usual rate. The awake battery life seemed about the same, but the standby tanked. It's too bad we don't have some way to determine what is keeping our phones from going into deep sleep with KitKat, at least not that I have found.
    Wakelock Detector doesn't work without root as far as I know, but GSam will still tell you what apps are using the most battery.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Wakelock Detector doesn't work without root as far as I know, but GSam will still tell you what apps are using the most battery.
    Unfortunately, they will not break down what is using battery from the Android OS amount. It still says "Kernel (Android OS)". It lists all of the processes but not which process is consuming the most battery.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Just curious. Are you still getting a full day out of your phone without having to put on a charger?

    Posted using my thumbs
  12. #12  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Unfortunately, they will not break down what is using battery from the Android OS amount. It still says "Kernel (Android OS)". It lists all of the processes but not which process is consuming the most battery.
    Sorry for the late reply. Not sure what else you could try. I have had Android OS issues before and a reboot usually fixed it, and in the cases where it didn't I'd just turn off location reporting. Do you have that on?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    All, my issue is the phone idle is eating battery. My os level seems about the same. Google sync is good to go.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    I did a full factory reset. It was the first time I had done so since I bought the phone in late September 2013. It seems to have worked as my the Android OS usage, and consequently my battery life, is back to what it had been.
  15. #15  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    I did a full factory reset. It was the first time I had done so since I bought the phone in late September 2013. It seems to have worked as my the Android OS usage, and consequently my battery life, is back to what it had been.
    Awesome. Glad it's working again

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Similar Threads

  1. Black text on dark grey background, Android 4.2, Jiayu G5
    By jarabmx in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM
  2. Rooted HTC One, no OS... no TWRP...
    By J0shie in forum HTC One Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 07:42 AM
  4. Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Contacts App goes to top of list on movement
    By mihlenburg in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 04:11 AM
  5. Google now cards stopped on Galaxy S4(Android 4.4.2)
    By Rade Jovanovski in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Posting Permissions