Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Very High Android OS Usage Today?

Has anyone else had extremely high Android OS usage today? For some odd reason, my battery is draining much faster today than it usually does and it appears as though Android OS is the culprit. I'd appreciate anyone's help on if they know of any Android bugs that might be causing this. I did not download any new apps or anything, so that should not be the issue.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Very High Android OS Usage Today?

It happens to a lot of people occasionally. I'd reboot my phone and not worry about it. That usually does it for me
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

One quick thing to look at is settings, scroll down under accounts and choose "google", and see if you have a sync issue with one of your Google accounts. There should be a green circle if sync is good, and red if there is an issue. A bad sync will keep retrying and can drain the battery fast.
    Thanked by 2:
    ::Montgomery:: likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have checked everything and for whatever reason my Android OS is continuing to take up more resources than it was before and I am not sure why. I checked all of my accounts set to sync and there are no issues with any of them. Could it be a bug in one of my app's updates?

Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    I have checked everything and for whatever reason my Android OS is continuing to take up more resources than it was before and I am not sure why. I checked all of my accounts set to sync and there are no issues with any of them. Could it be a bug in one of my app's updates?
    Just wondering... Why does this bother you?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post
    Just wondering... Why does this bother you?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    In some instances it causes unusual battery drain.

- - - Updated - - -

I've found that sometimes it just randomly happens. Download GSam battery monitor and see if there's any unusual app usage.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Aha I missed the part about his battery in his ORIGINAL post. FWIW my Android OS is always at the top of my list, however, my battery is doing just fine.
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Exactly - the issue was that the Android OS usage was draining my battery at over twice the usual rate. The awake battery life seemed about the same, but the standby tanked. It's too bad we don't have some way to determine what is keeping our phones from going into deep sleep with KitKat, at least not that I have found.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Exactly - the issue was that the Android OS usage was draining my battery at over twice the usual rate. The awake battery life seemed about the same, but the standby tanked. It's too bad we don't have some way to determine what is keeping our phones from going into deep sleep with KitKat, at least not that I have found.
    Wakelock Detector doesn't work without root as far as I know, but GSam will still tell you what apps are using the most battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Wakelock Detector doesn't work without root as far as I know, but GSam will still tell you what apps are using the most battery.
    Unfortunately, they will not break down what is using battery from the Android OS amount. It still says "Kernel (Android OS)". It lists all of the processes but not which process is consuming the most battery.

Just curious. Are you still getting a full day out of your phone without having to put on a charger?

Posted using my thumbs

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Unfortunately, they will not break down what is using battery from the Android OS amount. It still says "Kernel (Android OS)". It lists all of the processes but not which process is consuming the most battery.
    Sorry for the late reply. Not sure what else you could try. I have had Android OS issues before and a reboot usually fixed it, and in the cases where it didn't I'd just turn off location reporting. Do you have that on?

All, my issue is the phone idle is eating battery. My os level seems about the same. Google sync is good to go.

Posted via Android Central App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I did a full factory reset. It was the first time I had done so since I bought the phone in late September 2013. It seems to have worked as my the Android OS usage, and consequently my battery life, is back to what it had been.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I did a full factory reset. It was the first time I had done so since I bought the phone in late September 2013. It seems to have worked as my the Android OS usage, and consequently my battery life, is back to what it had been.
    Awesome. Glad it's working again

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2