Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Global Roaming DROID MAXX (and iphone 5) unlocked in Europe.

FY I - my wife and I are in Ireland (we live in Chicago). Iast Friday I went into a carphone shop and replaced our verizon cellular service with service from "3" (british wireless provider). We swapped out the vzw sim cards for the "3" sim cards. Phones work great. I have a Droid Ultra MAXX and my wife has an iphone 5.

The plan is called the "3" pre-pay plan. I handed over two 20 euro notes (one for each phone) and for 30 days we receive: unlimited data, unlimited text - including text to other services, and unlimited calling within ireland - which doesn't matter because we can use google hangouts to talk to other folks in the US or use cheap skype minutes for phone calls.

It works great, and right now I'm writing this note on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition using my Droid MAXX as a wifi access point.

Before we left, at the beginning of last week I called VZW international support to make sure my phone was unlocked outside of the USA. The VZW representative kept trying to sell me international activation and provisioning which is really expensive - 10 days in Italy last year for two devices cost us about $250. I finally just said, rather sternly, I didn'w want VZW international service that what I wanted to know was that our phones were unlocked for use with other wireless service providers when traveling outside of the USA. He reluctantly admitted they were - He was right.

Jim Capraro

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk
    FastKatt and Andy88488 like this.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Default Re: Global Roaming DROID MAXX (and iphone 5) unlocked in Europe.

Yupe...you could have simply come on here and asked up, to be honest. I've currently stationed in Germany...I have Verizon service in the US and have German service while here. Our phones are global...they are great.

Default Re: Global Roaming DROID MAXX (and iphone 5) unlocked in Europe.

I too did something similar with my Droid MAXX in Belgium on Proximus. They had some trouble getting a nano SIM (apparently in Europe only iPhone 5s have nano SIMs and they were convinced I didn't have one...until I pulled my VZW one out) but otherwise it was smooth sailing.
    doogald likes this.