Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Hgouck
  • 3 Post By Distorted Loop
  • 3 Post By skatergirl
  • 1 Post By doogald
  • 1 Post By Hgouck
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upgrade but what's out there?

I'm coming up on Maxx upgrade having had it since it came out but I'm curious what's out there really better than it?

It seems VZW in particular is stagnating in mobile offerings & Samsung's "choose your own adventure" spins on the same basic phone are taking hold.

I'm not going to waste a subsidize upgrade on another Maxx but this is by far the longest I've gone on the same phone and don't think there's one out there for me that's any better.

Is the Maxx with lenovo take over pretty much dead? I've not seen rumors on a new variant etc..

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Upgrade but what's out there?

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. If the Maxx is fulfilling your needs and your happy with it. Save your upgrade for a time you will need it. JMO

Posted using my thumbs
    skatergirl and FastKatt like this.

I looked at sg5 and HTC m8. Sg5 I have never had any luck with Samsung because of the radios so I passed. HTC m8 seemed nice but very big phone because of the speakers which I would never use so I passed. Now I'm waiting on the LG G3. If that doesn't pan out I will keep waiting. Maxx has been I good phone so far really no complaints.

Nothing beats the Maxx.
    This phone doesn't even need to be rooted to be just about perfect unless you are unlimited data and need tethering hacks.

LG G3 looks interesting, but to beat the Maxx in overall user experience a phone would need all the cool Motorola features like always listening and the notifications.

I'm in no rush to replace mine, and like many others this is the longest I've used a phone as my primary device in many years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Rocka210, Cos54 and FastKatt like this.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I'm anxiously waiting to see the LG G3, but I'm spoiled by the Maxx's battery and wonder if the G3 will just be too big. Active notifications is handy, but I think I'd be happy enough with a color controlled LED if I could get it to work properly. I briefly owned the G2 and loved knock on and the no side buttons, but ultimately went for the larger battery.

I really want the Sony Xperia Z2 to come out on VZW - that would be the only thing I'd consider upgrading to.
    Lovin' My Phone

I have had my Maxx since early September and I have no desire at all to switch phones. Generally I find something I really don't like about a phone within three months, but not with the Maxx. It's by far the best phone I have ever had and I have had a bunch.
    polar135, Hgouck and fuddster like this.

I am waiting on what specs are in the motox +1 the LG g3 would be a nice upgrade to me if they throw the snap dragon 805 in it like they are saying they will. They released some specs for the moto x+1 but the key for me is processor and ram. If it has a good processor and three gigs of ram that will be my next phone.

Posted via my DROID MAXX

I'm more looking forward to what Android Silver devices may be coming, whether that truly means that updates will be coming directly from Google rather than through carriers, and what sort of Silver devices will be coming. I'm more than a year away from upgrading, unless something happens to my phone, of course.
    skatergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin29311 View Post
    I really want the Sony Xperia Z2 to come out on VZW - that would be the only thing I'd consider upgrading to.
    I heard mid summer for that

Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I'm more looking forward to what Android Silver devices may be coming, whether that truly means that updates will be coming directly from Google rather than through carriers, and what sort of Silver devices will be coming. I'm more than a year away from upgrading, unless something happens to my phone, of course.
    I had not heard of the Silver devices. I hope Verizon allows them into its lineup.

Android Silver: everything you need to know about Google’s upcoming range of premium smartphones | Stuff

At least wait until after Google I/O to see if there are any major launches. But I agree - if I had to buy a phone right now, it'd probably be another MAXX.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Glad I'm not alone ... I agree no need to replace if I like it and I do ... Its just a new paradigm shift for me to like a phone this long ... Makes me wonder if we've not started a new phase of smartphone development in that not much else out there is "awe-inspiring" and Samsung's 32 flavors of the same general design is garnishing deserved criticism.

It worries me a little because I can foresee carriers now not updating OS on devices as quickly, waiting for their self imposed two-year eoa/eol on devices ... And then now we will be forced to buy an almost identical device just to get newer firmware/OS if we don't want to go the rooted route.

It was bound to evolve to this ... And perhaps there are too many OEMS out there and someday it may just be Samsung and Google branded devices.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxWeather View Post
    Glad I'm not alone ... I agree no need to replace if I like it and I do ... Its just a new paradigm shift for me to like a phone this long ... Makes me wonder if we've not started a new phase of smartphone development in that not much else out there is "awe-inspiring" and Samsung's 32 flavors of the same general design is garnishing deserved criticism.

It worries me a little because I can foresee carriers now not updating OS on devices as quickly, waiting for their self imposed two-year eoa/eol on devices ... And then now we will be forced to buy an almost identical device just to get newer firmware/OS if we don't want to go the rooted route.

It was bound to evolve to this ... And perhaps there are too many OEMS out there and someday it may just be Samsung and Google branded devices.

Yeah, new phones a few years ago were one revolution in design, features, and performance after another. It was exciting to watch new devices come out & see what they could do that was new. Now it's well into evolutionary changes, and they're more & more ho-hum changes. I think the same is true for OS upgrades - we're seeing less frequent updates to Android, and each change seems more minor than the last. At some point, the motivation to upgrade frequently will wane, and people will actually hold onto the same phone for several years, because there just won't be motivation to upgrade. I'm sure there will be something else new & shiny to keep us shelling out our cash, though.

There would have to be a significant upgrade in design or functionality to make me want to give up my Maxx. This phone satisfies my needs and offers quit a bit of leading edge software even though it is about a year old. Put me in the satisfied customers category.

JimBen73 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Hgouck View Post
    There would have to be a significant upgrade in design or functionality to make me want to give up my Maxx. This phone satisfies my needs and offers quit a bit of leading edge software even though it is about a year old. Put me in the satisfied customers category.

That's the rationale behind the problem I see emerging, and carriers aren't deaf to it. Take the 4.4.2-4.4.3-4.4.4 update issues ... VZW knows Maxx and Droid line users won't upgrade any time soon ... So why bother updating software to "keep them" satistified.

That's the rationale behind the problem I see emerging, and carriers aren't deaf to it. Take the 4.4.2-4.4.3-4.4.4 update issues ... VZW knows Maxx and Droid line users won't upgrade any time soon ... So why bother updating software to "keep them" satistified.

They might to upgrade to keep their customers secure so they have the latest security updates and patches. Honestly, it's too bad the timing was crappy about the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 updates, but I'm hopeful for the future based on the fact that Verizon updated the 2012 Droids to Kitkat. There seems to be better support than for past Droids now.

If the software upgrade brings stability and functionality improvements then it would be in the carrier's interest to upgrade it so they would have less problems calls from their customers . I believe the gist of this thread was what phone is available that would be worth upgrading to at this point. Except for cosmetic and minor graphics in my opinion there is none worth using an upgrade for.JMO

Global Posts
    1,885 Global Posts

Moto x+1 seems the next logical move if you're getting the itch.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
    Moto x+1 seems the next logical move if you're getting the itch.
    I don't want a mid-range phone though. I'd want to upgrade to another flagship device. And it only has a 2900mah battery.