Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaptain75329
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 'enter' or 'return' key on Google keyboard in hangouts?

I know this question isn't about the MAXX specifically, but I'm using a MAXX so I thought I'd post here.

When I use the Google keyboard in hangouts there is no 'enter' or 'return' key. Where it would normally be is a button for using emojis. But this isn't necessary because there is an emoji button right next to the text input (see the pic attached).

This only seems to be an issue in hangouts. In every other app where I use the Google keyboard there is an 'enter' or 'return' key on the keyboard.

Anybody know how to press 'enter' on the Google keyboard in hangouts?

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'enter' or 'return' key on Google keyboard in hangouts?-23335.jpg  

Global Posts
    6,476 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: 'enter' or 'return' key on Google keyboard in hangouts?

When you have text or emojis inputted an option comes up to send comes up. As far as I know in that context there is not an "enter" to move to the next line option, although that option is available in other apps, depending on the type of input field.

I've found this annoying, but thankfully there's an easy fix.

If you want to use the enter key in Hangouts or any other chat program that restricts the key, simply hold down shift and the smiley key becomes the enter key.

If you're a fan of gesture typing as I am, then you need only drag from shift to enter in order to insert a new line.

=/\= Kaptain75329
    Thanked by 2:
    Sophos likes this.

I use the stock texting app. Is there any way to have the enter key become the default key instead of the emojis?

If you like, give swiftkey a try. It's free now. Plus you have the option of always having the enter key always show up. Just go into layout, and check the box. If you like using emojis, they have the colored ones as well...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by chubby22 View Post
    If you like, give swiftkey a try. It's free now. Plus you have the option of always having the enter key always show up. Just go into layout, and check the box. If you like using emojis, they have the colored ones as well...
    Yes, this, plus you can long-press the emoji keyboard key to do an enter if you don't change the setting.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain75329 View Post

If you want to use the enter key in Hangouts or any other chat program that restricts the key, simply hold down shift and the smiley key becomes the enter key.

If you're a fan of gesture typing as I am, then you need only drag from shift to enter in order to insert a new line.

=/\= Kaptain75329
    Thanks for the long press shift tip! Works great!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain75329 View Post

=/\= Kaptain75329
    Man! Thx so much for this! The lack of an enter key on hangouts keyboard has been bugging me forever.

I play with my food