Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DASHAUS
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Maps Question

I recently made a trip and needed to use Google Maps to get to my destination. When it was time to leave, I set up driving directions for the trip home. For unknown reasons, Google Maps decided to route me to my home via what I considered a longer route. When I used my computer and went to Google Maps and typed in the address I left from and the address I was going to. What I found was that the suggested route was not the same as the one that Google Maps suggested on my phone. I'm wondering why Google Maps online is providing different directions than the Google Maps app installed on my phone.

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: Google Maps Question

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    I recently made a trip and needed to use Google Maps to get to my destination. When it was time to leave, I set up driving directions for the trip home. For unknown reasons, Google Maps decided to route me to my home via what I considered a longer route. When I used my computer and went to Google Maps and typed in the address I left from and the address I was going to. What I found was that the suggested route was not the same as the one that Google Maps suggested on my phone. I'm wondering why Google Maps online is providing different directions than the Google Maps app installed on my phone.
    It may have been that it did not calculate your location correctly. I believe you are able to sync routes from your PC to your phone via your gmail account if that helps.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

It also may have noticed a ton of traffic and routed you around it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by DASHAUS View Post
    It also may have noticed a ton of traffic and routed you around it.

Nice! Didn't think of that one.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I suppose the traffic could be one solution, but if that was the case, it would have displayed a prompt indicating a new route was XX minutes faster and given the opportunity to either select it or continue on the existing route.

The route that I took coming home was not the same route that Google Maps provided when I was going to my destination. The thing is though, I recognized a destination point on an exit sign and was tempted to go that way but instead I relied on the directions that were showing on the phone. Just trying to figure out why it would provide one set of directions for going to a destination and then provide a different route going back.

Wouldn't you get better answers in a Google discussion group dedicated to maps? . I'm sure this is not unique to the Maxx...

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    I suppose the traffic could be one solution, but if that was the case, it would have displayed a prompt indicating a new route was XX minutes faster and given the opportunity to either select it or continue on the existing route.
    Not on the phone, I think. Just for an anecdote, a few months ago I drove somewhere where I knew the beginning of the route but wasn't so sure of the last steps, so I decided to use Maps on my phone. As the trip started it kept asking me to turn away from what I knew to be the quickest route (remember - I know the start very well, including all of the detours.) I spent the first 20 minutes ignoring it's recommended route and merged onto the highway - to find myself in a four mile stop and go. If I had followed directions from the start, I would have avoided all of the traffic and saved myself a ton of time.

I'll also point out that the when you first get directions when you use maps on the phone, you get the following notice: "Google Maps Navigation is in beta. Use caution." It goes on to say that data is not real-time, could be inaccurate, etc. So, Google makes no promises that the directions are accurate, etc. Some of that is CYA, I am sure.

From what I understand.....
    Google bought WAZE (great free app) so it now uses WAZE user reports with other traffic info it gathers to help you avoid traffic issues. It has saved me hours of sitting in traffic by re-directing me.
    Droid MAXX 32GB
    OS- 4.4.4 KK
    Waiting for Lollipop!

RIP-GNEX-you were fun to hack and install AOKP ROMS,but your time is over.