Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking of switching to the Droid Maxx from iPhone 5s

So I have been thinking for a few days now about going to pick up the Droid Maxx from Verizon and getting rid of my iPhone 5s. I like Apple and I think they make some great products but I really need something that has better battery life. I've owned a couple Droid's in the past and they have proven to have better battery life.

I wanted to see what everyone thought of this particular device, considering it is being offered for free through Verizon right now.

Thanks,
    Nick

Default Re: Thinking of switching to the Droid Maxx from iPhone 5s

Plugging it in every 2-3 days is great. Bigger screen that the Iphone and its not made by Apple. What else do you need?

It's all about the battery. There are a lot of phones out there which may have more phone sex appeal right now, but it all comes back to the battery for me. My first Android was the Samsung Charge. It was usually dead by mid-afternoon and I was looking for an outlet. My RAZR MAXX solved that problem and I got crazy 1 1/2 - 2 day life and I was hooked on Motorola. When the Droid MAXX came out it kept the same battery life and added touchless controls. I find I use that ability daily. I'm waiting for the next generation of Motorola phones to see what they bring.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It is free right now, but be aware that it is only 16 GB of storage, with about 10 to 11 GB available when you first turn it on (maybe less?) The last I looked, Amazon was still selling the 32 GB model for $50 on contract.

I think I'd suggest that you hang on for a couple of months and see if there are new Droid models introduced later this summer (these came out 10 months ago, in late August) or see if the update to the Moto X has a bigger battery. The Moto X is getting faster Android updates than the Droids are, and you're probably buying iPhone 5 level hardware right now (i.e., two year old specs.) Also, the camera is pretty mediocre in anything but the best light. Outdoors it is pretty good; indoors, it can be pretty bad. Going from an iPhone 5s is a definite step-down.

If you really want something now, the LG G2 may be worth a look. It's also free, with better specs and 32 GB. Go to a store and try it out, though.
    frag06 likes this.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick DeJohn Jr View Post
    So I have been thinking for a few days now about going to pick up the Droid Maxx from Verizon and getting rid of my iPhone 5s. I like Apple and I think they make some great products but I really need something that has better battery life. I've owned a couple Droid's in the past and they have proven to have better battery life.

I wanted to see what everyone thought of this particular device, considering it is being offered for free through Verizon right now.

Thanks,
    Nick
    I agree with what doogald said.

The G2 is a great phone, and has great battery life. The only downside is that you probably aren't going to get timely software updates, and we don't know how long LG will support the G2. But this could be fixed, at least somewhat, by using a custom ROM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I also looked at the LG as well (at least online for now). I think I will stop by the store on my way home and look at them both. The LG accompanies a good battery life as well (3000mAh). I can live with that. What I can't have anymore is having to charge my iPhone 5s 2-3 times a day. The only information that is stored on my actual device is music and apps. All of my documents and misc. information is store on my Google Drive account so I can have access to it where ever I go. I use GMail for all my contacts and calendar events.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

I also looked at the LG as well (at least online for now). I think I will stop by the store on my way home and look at them both. The LG accompanies a good battery life as well (3000mAh). I can live with that. What I can't have anymore is having to charge my iPhone 5s 2-3 times a day. The only information that is stored on my actual device is music and apps. All of my documents and misc. information is store on my Google Drive account so I can have access to it where ever I go. I use GMail for all my contacts and calendar events.
    If you're having to charge your iPhone two or three times a day, you may have a bad battery. The iPhone doesn't have the best battery life, but you shouldn't have to charge it three times a day.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I would classify my usage on the moderate to heavy side. I do alot of email receiving and send, checking of facebook, utilization of the internet, alot of phone use and alot of texting, so I am not totally convinced its a battery issue. I think my usage vs. the capacity of the battery just don't jive together.

Quote Originally Posted by frag06 View Post
    If you're having to charge your iPhone two or three times a day, you may have a bad battery. The iPhone doesn't have the best battery life, but you shouldn't have to charge it three times a day.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

I would classify my usage on the moderate to heavy side. I do alot of email receiving and send, checking of facebook, utilization of the internet, alot of phone use and alot of texting, so I am not totally convinced its a battery issue. I think my usage vs. the capacity of the battery just don't jive together.
    Even with heavy use, you shouldn't have to charge it three times a day.

Using an 8 AM to 8 PM cycle for example, you should have it charged and ready to go in the morning, and you should possibly have to recharge it sometime later in the day (100% to 20 - 30%). This should last you through the rest of the day, assuming you recharge it back to 100%.

The battery capacity of the iPhone 5s is 1570 mAh, which may seem small, but it isn't for the iPhone. Apple's hardware combined with iOS gives you a very efficient iPhone. The iPhone doesn't need a huge battery for good battery life and comparing battery size to an Android phone will do you no good. But unless you have the screen on all day, you should be seeing better battery life.

Also, if you have Facebook or Email set to constantly poll for updates, this could be seriously wasting battery life.

Anyway, if battery life really is that bad for you, you would almost certainly be much more happy with a G2!

Global Posts
    1,810 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I owned both the G2 and Maxx for a few weeks while I decided. Here's a comparison I did between them

My comparison between the Droid Maxx and G2

If the G2 had the battery of the Maxx I likely would have kept it. The battery on the Maxx is amazing.