Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CoftheU
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Set up emergency contacts

How do I define emergency contacts on my contact list. I would like to simply mark existing people rather than make a new ICE contact (although I don't know how to do the ICE thing either).

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Set up emergency contacts

Not sure if it is the same for you, but On my note 3, I can add them to the ice group.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yea that makes sense and I believe I was able to do that on a previous phone but I cannot seem to determine how to do it with this one. How would one create an "ice group"?

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jglazer63 View Post
    Yea that makes sense and I believe I was able to do that on a previous phone but I cannot seem to determine how to do it with this one. How would one create an "ice group"?
    What I did in lieu of an actual ICE entry is made four entries and started them all with two asterisks and said...

**ICE 1: Call XXX
    **ICE 2: Call YYY

And so on and so forth (I do two asterisks in case a number like *211 is saved on your phone.) When someone opens up the ICE contact I put specific notes in (no number) to scroll down to their entry for their number(s) and any other pertinent info that may help, such as " She works M-F 8-5 so try work number if cell unsuccessful" or something like that.

It's not perfect but hopefully, while I don't ever want to have it used, it would work if needed.

When I crashed on my bike and was flown by a helicopter to a hospital neither cops, nor fire fighters, nor EMT, nor hospital stuff even tried to look for "ICE". Additionally, in order for the "ICE" notion to be even theoretically possible - a phone has to stay unlocked, which is not a good practice and advised against by most tech sites. So, that "ICE" thing is almost an urban myth. The first thing cops or EMT do when they find someone unconscious is: get the driver license or other ID and punch that info into their computer - that's it!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

There is a setting on the phone to display emergency contacts on the locked screen. I simply don't know how to set that up.

There is a setting on the phone to display emergency contacts on the locked screen. I simply don't know how to set that up.
    But you've seen the setting? Where is it? I'll play with it.

Settings / Security & Screen lock / Owner info. That's what I use for pseudo-ICE because it's likely my phone would be pin locked anyway if something happened to me.

There are ICE apps that can replace the lock screen in the Play Store if I'm not mistaken.

Touch the orange Contacts icon then the Groups icon that looks like two heads. A list of groups you can assign your contacts to will come up. Touch ICE - emergency contacts, then the plus sign and then either Create Contact or Add Existing Contact. To test it, the next time your screen locks touch Emergency Call and then the icon in the lower left that looks like a person and a police light/siren. 911 and your Personal Emergency Contacts that you just added should be there.
    Thanked by 2:
    shortwave8669 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CoftheU View Post
    Touch the orange Contacts icon then the Groups icon that looks like two heads. A list of groups you can assign your contacts to will come up. Touch ICE - emergency contacts, then the plus sign and then either Create Contact or Add Existing Contact. To test it, the next time your screen locks touch Emergency Call and then the icon in the lower left that looks like a person and a police light/siren. 911 and your Personal Emergency Contacts that you just added should be there.
    Are you talking about the Droid Maxx or a different phone? Because I don't see on the Maxx what you're describing.