Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By P-raggles
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is anyone considering the LG G3 over the Droid Maxx?

Anyone considering the switch to the G3?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Something Jelly

Default Re: Is anyone considering the LG G3 over the Droid Maxx?

I was just researching it before I came here. Seems like a really good phone, wish it was truly waterproof. The existence of the prime version with the snapdragon 805 would make me pause before purchasing the current g3. Most people describe the battery as "getting through the day with one charge most days." I don't know if I'm ready to give up the MAXX battery for something noticeably worse in that department.

I went to swappa to see what I could sell my MAXX for and it looks like the most people are getting for them now is $250. I will pay full retail for my new phone, so that leaves me paying a lot out of pocket. I don't see it as enough of an upgrade in my situation to justify the switch.

Edit: also, the US version not having qi charging is stupid. It wouldn't be a make or break feature for me, but I already have a wireless charger, I would like to be able to use it.

Thought about it for a minute...then settled down and asked myself some questions...
    Do websites need to load faster?.. No.
    Do calls need to be clearer or signal stronger?...no.
    Is display sharp enough and large enough for me?..yes
    Do I like clean android? Yes.
    Do I like Moto features Active notifications and moto assist? Yes.
    Do I like the battery life? Yes.
    Do I like the feel of this device? Yes.
    Is the Camera OK for me? Yes.
    Do I like QI charging? Yes.

So ask yourself the same and then decide why you would switch... Perhaps save money keep MAXX and buy some sweet sweet android gear. I try to resist making my device a fetish object. I will carry on with this device till I change my answers above.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 2:
    JimBen73 and Codger1212 like this.

No. Having the latest and greatest doesn't appeal to me. My MAXX does everything I need a phone to do. Text, Call, navigation, camera, etc.

BTW, the Swappa MAXX's are 16GB going for $250. The 32GB ones are going for around $300.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Something Jelly

Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    BTW, the Swappa MAXX's are 16GB going for $250. The 32GB ones are going for around $300.
    I didn't even know there was a 16GB version so I assumed they were incorrect. Thanks for the info.

We just upgraded a razr maxx. The only reasons why were the incentives. First, the razr maxx charging port was failing so we needed to upgrade. Second, Motorola trade up $100 account credit. Third, the phone was free except for the $30 upgrade fee. And lastly, Comcast offered me a $150 visa to upgrade online.

However we have five total lines, three are old feature phones. So essentially we have upgrades to burn and keep unlimited.

Don't get me wrong, the 3gbs of ram sounded nice. The battery seemed big but in reviews they said 4 hrs of screen time. No mention of multi day endurance like the maxx.

What I am excited for is the successor to the droid maxx. I mean honestly except for an even larger display and battery, it's already perfect.

Now if I took more low light photos I think I'd be less satisfied. But the reviews of the g3 even said low light was OK, not good or great.

My next phone may not be a carrier exclusive. Not enough accessories! Have you seen the Incipio collection for the galaxy s5!

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've thought about it, but I'm really not willing to go to a smaller battery after how much I've enjoyed the battery life of my Maxx. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Maxx successor has build and featurewise. Too bad there isn't even an inkling of a word about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    I've thought about it, but I'm really not willing to go to a smaller battery after how much I've enjoyed the battery life of my Maxx. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Maxx successor has build and featurewise. Too bad there isn't even an inkling of a word about it yet.
    Same here. I would never get a phone with a smaller battery. I'm happy with the Maxx anyways. I have the 2 year contract so I'll have to wait until Oct. 2015 to get a new phone anyways.

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P-raggles View Post
    Thought about it for a minute...then settled down and asked myself some questions...
    Do calls need to be clearer or signal stronger?...no.
    Is display sharp enough and large enough for me?..yes
    Do I like clean android? Yes.
    Do I like Moto features Active notifications and moto assist? Yes.
    Do I like the battery life? Yes.
    Do I like the feel of this device? Yes.
    Is the Camera OK for me? Yes.
    Do I like QI charging? Yes.

So ask yourself the same and then decide why you would switch... Perhaps save money keep MAXX and buy some sweet sweet android gear. I try to resist making my device a fetish object. I will carry on with this device till I change my answers above.

This . . exactly . . .

Posted via Android Central App

I've been more than satisfied with my Droid Razr Maxx from day one since it was released, so naturally I seriously considered the Droid Maxx ever since my contract came up for renewal back in April. Last week I decided to go with the LG G3 primarily because of the screen size and camera, and secondly because of the 3GB RAM and 2.5Ghz Snapdragon 801 SoC...these were the deciding factors for me personally. I pre-ordered it (the metallic black version) on the 10th, and received my shipping notice this morning indicating a Thursday delivery date. Having said that, I've thoroughly enjoyed my Razr Maxx over the past 2 years...Long Live Droid.
    • LG G3 [KitKat 4.4.2]
    • Asus Nexus 7 2013 [KitKat 4.4.4]
    • Motorola Droid Razr Maxx [JB 4.1.2]

Hope you enjoy...keep us posted on battery life as a former MAXX owner your review is worth a lot IMO. I have read very mixed reviews on G3. G2 was/is apparently better.

Quote Originally Posted by P-raggles View Post

I've noticed that website speed depends on the browser you are using. I've experimented with some of the different browsers and I still like Chrome the best. Chrome is probably the fastest. Firefox is the slowest. Even just typing words into the search box was delayed. I've noticed that firefox was slow on my computer too. I didn't have the typing issues on my computer, but it is slower than chrome.

I currently own the Droid MAXX I received last year through EDGE (previous was RAZR MAXX). While this phone is still fantastic and fast, my 1 year edge is coming up and I'm ready for something new and different.

The main reasons I am considering the G3 is the better camera and larger screen, plus I am just wanting to try something different.

I know I will dearly miss active notifications as I used it as my primary method for unlocking my phone. At the end of the day I'm usually at 35-45% battery life so I am confident the smaller battery will suffice for me.

If the G3 doesn't wow me I could easily see myself hanging on to the MAXX until I own it at the end of my EDGE contract.

Well, you can always wait a couple of months to see if Verizon and moto announce an update to the line. The ultra and Maxx were announced in late July last year. I do wonder if they'll delay this year's so they can release it with Android L when it's ready. I guess we'll see...
    Thanked by:

When I shell out my money for a new phone, I want it to be a clear upgrade. The G3 has advantages, but disadvantages. That's not really an upgrade in my mind, it's a trade-off.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:

I will not be "upgrading" to the G3.

I can't see any reason to switch. I love my Maxx.

Thanked by: