Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: ART vs Dalvik - Worth it?

hey has anyone realized that ART resets some settings to default when you switch your phone off an on or just restart? I have a 512 MB RAM phone, and in developer options i set it not to allow background processes. It makes my phone waaayyy, snappier and smooth. but with ART, every time i reboot, it goes back to "standard limit" of background processes. This doesn't happen with Dalvik. And why do they give it such a cheesy name like Dalvik? ART is kinda cool. Dalvik shoulda had something like that too lol

Dalvik is a cool name. It's named after a town in Iceland. For some reason...

I switched from Dalvik to ART two days ago and haven't found anything that does not work. After choosing ART in developer options, I performed a cache clear and that took almost as long as switching to ART.

The first start up of some applications does take time, be patient and it will get there. Succeeding start ups may be slightly faster than Dalvik but not a major step forward.

My perception is that the display is quicker and smoother. The display looks brighter to me.....so much so that I checked to see if the brightness had switched from auto to max......and it had not.

I consume a lot of data during the day, and battery would usually be in the 40% range by evening, but today it is at 60%. No real measurements, but all additional battery life is welcomed.

23.3.24.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US

How do you switch from Dalvik to ART?
    I know you have to use the Developer options but cannot find info on how to get there.

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Picard88 View Post
    How do you switch from Dalvik to ART?
    I know you have to use the Developer options but cannot find info on how to get there.

Thank you for your help.
    Go into settings / about phone. Scroll down to the bottom and tap the "build number" field about ten times. It will tell you that you are now a developer.

This adds a new developer options to the settings app, and the default runtime option is in there.

Can I set my tab s 8.4 runtime to art? If so how?

Posted via the Android Central App

Hello every one,

I'm new to android and Motorola droid maxx is my first android daily driver and I don't know much about it. I have seen this ART and DALVIK but don't know what it is and if I want to change in between but where should I look to change between any of these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nazirshan87 View Post
    Hello every one,

I'm new to android and Motorola droid maxx is my first android daily driver and I don't know much about it. I have seen this ART and DALVIK but don't know what it is and if I want to change in between but where should I look to change between any of these.

Thanks
    Since you are new to Android I would recommend leaving this setting as the default. You really have no gain by changing it.
    If you choose to, first you have to activate the developer mode. Settings, About phone, tap the build number until the developer mode activates. Turn on developer mode and you will see it as an option to change the run time.

JMHO

I've tried both, multiple times, and I've seen little to no improvement from art. I'm on dalvik for good until lollipop myself.

Well, ART sucks, i recommend you don't use it. It almost screwed up my phone. It takes a lot of time to load it, and then you will probably get an error and your system will switch to Dalvik (if you are using Android 4.4.4). But my phone, just corrupted and said that Android System was not responding and I couldn't use the touchscreen, so I needed to pull out the battery etc... Its NOT worth it.

ART loads apps completely, using slightly more memory. Only downside I can tell. Battery slightly better and slightly faster/snappy working.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12