ART vs Dalvik - Worth it?

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it worth the switch to ART at this point? I have been toying with a factory reset, which would be the time to do it. Also, can I go back to Dalvik if ART doesn't work well? Has anyone seen any major improvements that would make the switch the best way to go, or was performance, and mainly, battery, improved so negligibly that it isn't worth the hassle?

Cheers!

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Unless you are a developer I would also say no. But if you choose to you can switch back.

Posted via Android Central App

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why the consensus seems to be no in this thread. ART is basically stable for most users, especially on the new 4.4.4 update. The only problem I have is that MLB At Bat videos are still not compatible with ART and thus don't play. Other than that absolutely no problems and it is noticeably smoother and snappier. At least give it a try, if you come across problems you can easily switch back. The only downfall is that the reboot to ART takes a while (15-20 minutes depending on how many apps you have installed). Reboots after switched to ART are normal, and a reboot to DALVIK takes only a few minutes.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why the consensus seems to be no in this thread. ART is basically stable for most users, especially on the new 4.4.4 update. The only problem I have is that MLB At Bat videos are still not compatible with ART and thus don't play. Other than that absolutely no problems and it is noticeably smoother and snappier. At least give it a try, if you come across problems you can easily switch back. The only downfall is that the reboot to ART takes a while (15-20 minutes depending on how many apps you have installed). Reboots after switched to ART are normal, and a reboot to DALVIK takes only a few minutes.

Does the change not wipe the data? I thought it was like a factory reset, or required it to get started? Maybe I will test it out. Unfortunately, this is my only device, so no backup while down. Thanks copywrite!

Cheers!

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Does the change not wipe the data? I thought it was like a factory reset, or required it to get started? Maybe I will test it out. Unfortunately, this is my only device, so no backup while down. Thanks copywrite!

Cheers!

No, you're safe. The switch to ART from Dalvik definitely does not wipe data, nor is there a wipe involved with switching back.

On 4.4.4, the Droid MAXX definitely feels like it has a new lease on life. The visual animations and scrolling are noticeably smoother, performance has ticked up a notch, and I am seeing better battery life.

ART is touchy on 4.4 as it's still in the experimental phase with that code. But if you already have 4.4.4 installed, it's refined enough to take over full-time. There's no reason not to try it, and you can always go back any time you want.

=/\= Kaptain75329

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
No, you're safe. The switch to ART from Dalvik definitely does not wipe data, nor is there a wipe involved with switching back.

On 4.4.4, the Droid MAXX definitely feels like it has a new lease on life. The visual animations and scrolling are noticeably smoother, performance has ticked up a notch, and I am seeing better battery life.

ART is touchy on 4.4 as it's still in the experimental phase with that code. But if you already have 4.4.4 installed, it's refined enough to take over full-time. There's no reason not to try it, and you can always go back any time you want.

=/\= Kaptain75329

Thanks Kaptain! I won't say with certainty, but, I may not have to wait to try it on 4.4.4... ;) Turned in a survey from a friend this morning. I may try to switch tonight when I get home. One of my complaints since the May update was the horrible battery life compared to earlier in my ownership. I could got 2 full days with 4 hours of screen on time. Now I can only go maybe a day and a half with half the screen time.

Cheers!

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
As previously mentioned, it does not wipe your data. It is really not a big deal to switch back and forth, and as I mentioned you should have minimal, if any, issues. If you don't have 4.4.4 yet, you may wanna just wait for it as it shouldn't be much longer. Otherwise, give it a try.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Got too impatient, the process has started, 288 apps to optimize... Stupid bloatware is about half that I think... Will report back once it's finished.

Update: Done. Cleared cache from recovery, though, admittedly, that's likely Dalvik cache, so probably didn't do much, if anything. Phone got quite warm in both processes, since it's doing a lot of work and screen is on for nearly an hour straight with both back to back. Clearing cache took a while, as others have noted in another thread about recent activities. Will report back after some use.

Cheers!

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After switching back and forth, which do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?

To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Right now I'm on art on 4.4.4 and will go back to dalvik at some point to see if there's a difference on 4.4.4. One thing that should be better on art is scrolling through lists. There should be less noticeable stutter. But, I wasn't noticing things like that on dalvik anyway.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Right now I'm on art on 4.4.4 and will go back to dalvik at some point to see if there's a difference on 4.4.4. One thing that should be better on art is scrolling through lists. There should be less noticeable stutter. But, I wasn't noticing things like that on dalvik anyway.

Cool. I am trying ART on 4.4.4 now. Switched 2 nights ago. I guess apps load a tiny bit quicker, but it's barely noticeable. I'm not seeing any differences in battery life. Bottom line is in my really noticing Amy differences between ART and Davlik on 4.4.4.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
After switching back and forth, which do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have not been able to use ART at all - too unstable. Even simple things like navigating settings, using SwiftKey, etc are either not working or crash. I use Nova Launcher Prime so that might be the problem, but not sure -- I haven't had time to isolate what is causing issues yet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have not been able to use ART at all - too unstable. Even simple things like navigating settings, using SwiftKey, etc are either not working or crash. I use Nova Launcher Prime so that might be the problem, but not sure -- I haven't had time to isolate what is causing issues yet.

Wow, that's weird. I use Nova as well, and Swiftkey, and ART ran fine. I just switched back to Dalvik for today and tomorrow so I can see if there is a battery difference. For me, at least, I don't think there is, but I've had a few days on ART and we'll see what a few days on Dalvik does.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's weird. I use Nova as well, and Swiftkey, and ART ran fine. I just switched back to Dalvik for today and tomorrow so I can see if there is a battery difference. For me, at least, I don't think there is, but I've had a few days on ART and we'll see what a few days on Dalvik does.

Wow..

Just to make sure it's not user error - all I do to enable is turn on developer options, enable ART, and wait for the apps to be processed & the reboot, right?

I'm trying to think through what else I have running all the time - Muzei, HD Widgets, Nova does have some custom actions (swipe up from dock, etc) plus TeslaUnread on, Voxer, Silence, not much else..

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow..

Just to make sure it's not user error - all I do to enable is turn on developer options, enable ART, and wait for the apps to be processed & the reboot, right?

Yes, that's it. I've done it several times.

It may be one of the widget apps you're using. I use chronus for clock/weather, I have muzei installed but not activated, and I don't have those others you've listed. I think there's a site that tracks which apps are not art compatible.

http://www.androidruntime.com/list

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've ran ART for a while on 4.4 and, in my opinion, it does provide noticeable speed improvements and longer battery life (although I have not measured the actual improvements). The main reason I went back to Dalvik is that by definition ART pre-compiles all your apps so they dont have to be JIT (just-in-time) compiled as with Dalvik, which resulted in about 4Gb being occupied by those pre-compiled apks. This again was not a problem as I was not desperate for space until my travels required to keep most of my music on the device - that 4Gb became crucial

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463