Saying I have no data connection when I clearly do

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So, I heard the update was out today and I have tried to check for an update but my phone keeps saying I don't have a data connection when I am clearly on and doing other things. GRRRR....

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Before your reply I had turned off the wifi connection and I got the same message that there was no data connection. I then restarted my phone (for about the third time) and now I am just getting a spinny wheel while checkingl when I am either on the wifi or off the wifi.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I checked mine and get the same thing. I assume its because an update is available, but Verizon is throttling the throughput and not allowing every device at once.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I saw on another thread that this has been showing up on other phones as well.

I wish the message would just say what was really going on, instead of me thinking my phone was cracking up and worrying that I might have to do a factory reset.

And it's twice as annoying because my fiancé got the update this morning and I have owned my phone a month longer than he has (got mine in September) and I was even part of the initial KitKat soak test.

Dumb!!

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 01.30.01.png
    2014-07-16 01.30.01.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 38

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I get this before the last couple updates. Eventually you will get connected and be able to download the update.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 9096.jpg
    9096.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 9187.jpg
    9187.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 82

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And it's twice as annoying because my fiancé got the update this morning and I have owned my phone a month longer than he has (got mine in September) and I was even part of the initial KitKat soak test.

It's basically just completely random. I didn't get the minor May update until about 4 or 5 days after everybody was first reporting it being available. It will come.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So yes, I got my update early this morning. I have not yet noticed anything different. What about the rest of you. Have you noticed any changes?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So yes, I got my update early this morning. I have not yet noticed anything different. What about the rest of you. Have you noticed any changes?

• On the stock launcher, the status bar is now transparent rather than black.
  • There is no more home key double bug.
  • I haven't tried it yet, but USB OTG connectivity supposedly works again.
  • BT is slightly different. It used to be that the volume buttons on my headset controlled BT volume on the phone under 4.4, but that is not the case on 4.4.4. Everything else BT seems the same
  • Battery seems just a little better. Android OS is never the first on my battery use list - now it's always Display.
  • Verizon Visual Voicemail cannot be disabled and is re-enabled if it was disabled already.
  • There are now a "Cloud" and ISIS apps
  • The power control widget is slightly changed. The GPS toggle used to toggle locations services off and on. Now it switches between High accuracy and Battery Saving, but doesn't turn location off

That's all I've noticed so far... I assume the Android 4.4 share control getting stuck on one app is fixed with 4.4.4, but that happened to me only a couple of times and I could not replicate it. This update should also fix the Google authentication error when some people's phones go into no signal areas (that also happened to me once, but I could never replicate it.)

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Concerning Visual Voice Mail, what I noticed concerning this is that now it wants to activate free Basic Visual Voice Mail, nagging you to upgrade to the extra-charge premium version, which allows voice-to-text transcription, more stored messages, and caller-specific announcements. Perhaps the non-visual version is simply no longer available, and the "Visual" form is now the standard version.

And concerning ISIS, I don't know why they say this is "new". I have had ISIS at least since 4.4.

Maybe the GPS toggle is referring to the fact that you cannot turn off the 911 location reporting (which is the case on all Verizon phones, not just smart phones).

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Concerning Visual Voice Mail, what I noticed concerning this is that now it wants to activate free Basic Visual Voice Mail, nagging you to upgrade to the extra-charge premium version, which allows voice-to-text transcription, more stored messages, and caller-specific announcements. Perhaps the non-visual version is simply no longer available, and the "Visual" form is now the standard version.

There are now three versions of voice mail - the standard, free, non visual; the new free visual vm, with limited storage and features; and the old premium vvm. It seems to be a coincidence that it happened with the update, maybe?

And concerning ISIS, I don't know why they say this is "new". I have had ISIS at least since 4.4.

What's new is that it's now a pre-installed system app.

Maybe the GPS toggle is referring to the fact that you cannot turn off the 911 location reporting (which is the case on all Verizon phones, not just smart phones).

You can still go into settings / location and toggle location services off. It's just the power control widget that now cannot, and that is a change - I think. (It definitely changed looks.)