A few Droid Maxx issues since 4.4.4 update

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Running ART with 4.4.4 update and have worse battery life than jelly bean, when I make a call and then end the call, I have to back out the phone number to dial a new number, 4g signal much worse. Yes, I have done factory resets, wipe cache, etc.. Phone worked much better on jelly bean.

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Running ART with 4.4.4 update and have worse battery life than jelly bean, when I make a call and then end the call, I have to back out the phone number to dial a new number, 4g signal much worse. Yes, I have done factory resets, wipe cache, etc.. Phone worked much better on jelly bean.

everyone knows jelly bean was better. we just can't go backwards and it sucks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Battery seems a little better under 4.4.4 compared with 4.4, though I probably need a little more time to be sure. I don't make many phone calls, so haven't noticed any dialer problems, though the few I've made since the update had no problems. Signal definitely has not changed since I bought the phone 10.5 months ago.

I was in a no signal area last Saturday with the phone and tried to send an mms (I hadn't noticed there was no signal) and sending the message failed, of course. But the phone, despite having a mobile signal later in the day, would never re-send or receive any mms messages that I missed (I had several with one if those "tap to download" messages.) Once I restarted the phone, the message that was queued sent and tap to download worked. That's the only weird thing I've noticed so far.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I also am running ART and will throw in that something is bad with the battery life. I was on my second day without charging, trying to see how long I could go, and was at 20% by 6pm. I went to a restaurant and by 6:30 was down to 2%, and had barely touched my phone. I don't know if it was a one off issue, but if the battery tanks like that after a particular point, that is unacceptable. I turned on battery saver and in the next half hour only lost 1%, so made it home to plug in before complete death.

Cheers!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I also am running ART and will throw in that something is bad with the battery life. I was on my second day without charging, trying to see how long I could go, and was at 20% by 6pm. I went to a restaurant and by 6:30 was down to 2%, and had barely touched my phone. I don't know if it was a one off issue, but if the battery tanks like that after a particular point, that is unacceptable. I turned on battery saver and in the next half hour only lost 1%, so made it home to plug in before complete death.

Cheers!

That may have been a bad signal issue in the restaurant. If the signal is bad the phone boosts the power to the antenna to try to maintain connection, and that can drain the battery faster than anything else.

It could also be a slight battery calibration issue. I tend to think these things are old wives tales, but many people suggest draining the battery down until it won't power the display and then plugging in to full charge to calibrate the battery pack once a month or two months. I think the calibration is done anytime you charge to full from any point, but once every couple of months won't hurt.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
That may have been a bad signal issue in the restaurant. If the signal is bad the phone boosts the power to the antenna to try to maintain connection, and that can drain the battery faster than anything else.

I had great signal, and in the hour before that, on wifi at my house, I had lost 10%. I would agree that if the signal was bad I would see some extra drop, but ~20% in 30 minutes is way more than I have seen in the mountains where I have no signal, or 1x. I may test it again this weekend and see if the behavior repeats. This is definitely the lowest it's gotten for me in probably 6 months, so maybe it did just need to recalibrate.

Cheers!

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that signal strength is worse, and more that it correctly displays the signal. Before 4.4.4, in places where my phone has said to have 4G, it would be slow. Now, in those places, I drop to 3G, because I really didn't have 4G to begin with. I feel that the radios with this new update are more accurate. I also have noticed that my WiFi is faster, and displays correct strength as well. Overall, I feel that 4.4.4 is much more polished than the previous OTA. Thank you Motorola for making the decision to skip 4.4.3 and give us am update that will last us till the Droid Maxx EOL.

Posted via Android Central App

rockdiesel

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
After updating to 4.4.4 I have noticed improved performance and battery life. RAM seems to be used more efficiently. I am using Dalvik for runtime. Android System and Kernel usage are way down in battery usage when the device is sleeping. Signal strength seems to be the same. It also seems to charge faster.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Constantly (like every 2-3 minutes) getting a "data loss" notification, no 4g at home where it used to be strong . . been such an annoyance I came here to see if its been a problem for others since 4.4.4 and voila . . :-(

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think its something with your phones. im running art . im at 4 hrs 8 min on battery with 21 min screen time and 18 min call time. ive got 98% battery left. I did a full factory reset before I installed the update. ive had no problems or issues at all . camera is better, battery is as good or better . signal is the same. one thing I will say is I don't keep a bunch of apps stored on my phone that I don't use. I think these issues people are having is all app related. keep in mind im not on wifi or using the battery save feature

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think its something with your phones. im running art . im at 4 hrs 8 min on battery with 21 min screen time and 18 min call time. ive got 98% battery left. I did a full factory reset before I installed the update. ive had no problems or issues at all . camera is better, battery is as good or better . signal is the same. one thing I will say is I don't keep a bunch of apps stored on my phone that I don't use. I think these issues people are having is all app related. keep in mind im not on wifi or using the battery save feature

@chevyman29 I used your recommendation and did a full factory reset before updating my phone. I also cleared the cache partition after the update and did another full factory reset. This is my first time doing an update this way. It's a pain having to add all my apps and get my phone back to the way I had it, but so far the update seems to be doing pretty good on my phone. My signals are good, if not better in some areas than they were before the update. I'll get a better test of the battery life once I recharge my phone. So, thank you very, very much @chevyman29!!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
@chevyman29 I used your recommendation and did a full factory reset before updating my phone. I also cleared the cache partition after the update and did another full factory reset. This is my first time doing an update this way. It's a pain having to add all my apps and get my phone back to the way I had it, but so far the update seems to be doing pretty good on my phone. My signals are good, if not better in some areas than they were before the update. I'll get a better test of the battery life once I recharge my phone. So, thank you very, very much @chevyman29!!

im glad its working for you !nothing worse than having phone issues.
Im not saying a full factory rest is nessesary for every update but sometimes its a good idea to do one if the update is large.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I changed to Art about 1.5 days after the update to 4.4.4, so I was on Davlik for the first 1.5 days after the update . Once I changed to Art, I noticed a significant decline in battery performance. One day my phone died in less than 10 hours and my screen time was a little over 2 hours. This lasted for about 3 days until I switched back to Davlik to see if it would make a difference. Now my battery is running as good as ever. Got 6 hours screen time yesterday.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Same here. Art on 4.4.4. Better battery life, better connectivity, and the phone feels much faster. Loving it! Just wish I could get rid of the voicemail icon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Finally got some decent battery time yesterday. 1day 5 hours with 1:30 voice and 5 hours screen time. Went to Verizon store about signal and they changed my Sim card. Still poor signal.