Droid Maxx Future Android L Update

jkslater3

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if there has been any other discussion about this, but I'd seen that the X and G are slotted for an update to the next iteration of Android when that drops later this year. I spoke with a customer service rep at Moto today who implied (but didn't say outright) that we should expect Android L to make it to the Droid Maxx too. Here's the relevant excerpt from the conversation:

Joe: OK thanks - so are you saying that it [Android L] will become available later this year, but just hasn't been announced for release yet? I know that the final product is still underdevelopment and that Motorola has committed to updating the G and X, I was just wondering if a similar commitment to the Droid Maxx is out there
Joe: *under development (i.e. Google hasn't released it and published it to the AOSP yet)
Arrianne: We are always looking into improving our devices through Android Software updates, as of now we cannot provide an exact date yet, but for the improvement of the Droid Maxx an update will be sent you for sure.
Joe: Great, thanks for letting me know! Have a nice day

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if there has been any other discussion about this, but I'd seen that the X and G are slotted for an update to the next iteration of Android when that drops later this year. I spoke with a customer service rep at Moto today who implied (but didn't say outright) that we should expect Android L to make it to the Droid Maxx too. Here's the relevant excerpt from the conversation:

Joe: OK thanks - so are you saying that it [Android L] will become available later this year, but just hasn't been announced for release yet? I know that the final product is still underdevelopment and that Motorola has committed to updating the G and X, I was just wondering if a similar commitment to the Droid Maxx is out there
Joe: *under development (i.e. Google hasn't released it and published it to the AOSP yet)
Arrianne: We are always looking into improving our devices through Android Software updates, as of now we cannot provide an exact date yet, but for the improvement of the Droid Maxx an update will be sent you for sure.
Joe: Great, thanks for letting me know! Have a nice day

IIRC, nothing has been officially stated for Android "L" updates to the Moto X and Moto G.

But Punit Soni did pledge two years of support for the Moto X, 2013 DROIDs, and Moto G. I fully expect the DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX to be updated to the Android "L" base.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the 2012 Droids received an update to KitKat recently close to the end of their two year windows is, I think, a hopeful sign that the 2013 Droids will see at least one more Android version update. I can't believe that closing the sale of the company to Lenovo will change that; I guess we will see.

RexMaximus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Not only a two-year support commitment, but if the L rollout will be anything like KitKat's was, we should see it on our Droids by year's end, or early next year, I hope, given how fast Moto and VZW handled updates early on (the first camera update, and KitKat).

The only reason that went off the rails a little i think was because 4.4.2 was supposed to fix bugs in 4.4.0, then 4.4.3 was out when .2 was ready to roll, but was stricken with a major security hole.

Posted via Android Central App

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I saw the L review and I am willing to embrace the new "design language" lighter themes material design etc. .the one thing that I really disliked was the design change to the three main nav keys... They look over designed to my eye. Then I realized its not gonna affect me...my capacitive keys will not change..one more reason to keep MAXX

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

dwheeler5680

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
They do hold the two year commitment to the device support as known. But, they've only told of three devices to get android L (moto X, G, E) An only those. they've also been known to abandoned phones as well do to lack of money, Their devices don't sell well do to the builds an it being bare android. So, honestly it's still up in the air. But, don't get your hopes up for sure. LG hasn't even confirmed anything yet either. So, It's hard to say anything in relation to either one of the companies devices.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would bet money on the 2013 Maxx getting L. There's near zero bloatware to update, and it's 99% the same as the software in the Moto X, so the cost & effort of the update is very low. Plus Google wants people on the latest update as much as possible, and they still have some say at Moto until the sale is final. Not saying it's impossible that we'd get left out, but I'd say it's darn near a sure thing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The major difference between the Moto X and the 2013 Droids is that Motorola has the power to decided whether and when they work on updates to the Moto X - it is their phone - but the Droids are Verizon's phones, and it is really up to Verizon to decide whether to ask Motorola to work on upgrades for the phones.

But, they will. They had Motorola upgrade the 2012 Droids to KitKat 4.4.2 in May/June, and I'd say that this is a good sign that Verizon will want at least Android L on the Droid Maxx. I'd bet, though, that Android M, likely due in fall 2015, isn't going to make it to these phones.

I'm ok with that...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The major difference between the Moto X and the 2013 Droids is that Motorola has the power to decided whether and when they work on updates to the Moto X - it is their phone - but the Droids are Verizon's phones, and it is really up to Verizon to decide whether to ask Motorola to work on upgrades for the phones.

But, they will. They had Motorola upgrade the 2012 Droids to KitKat 4.4.2 in May/June, and I'd say that this is a good sign that Verizon will want at least Android L on the Droid Maxx. I'd bet, though, that Android M, likely due in fall 2015, isn't going to make it to these phones.

I'm ok with that...

Agreed, I would probably expect updates through Q1 or Q2 of next year. There's a chance it'll go beyond that, as the OS isn't advancing in complexity as quickly as it used to, and the hardware isn't getting outdated like it used to, but there's still a cost and effort to doing updates, so they're bound to stop at some point. There's probably a good chance that folks will figure out how to make M or other updates work on rooted phones, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo