Droid Maxx battery barely lasting a day

solamarv

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I purchased this phone brand new a few days ago. After a few days I noticed the battery was not lasting anywhere NEAR 2 days even with very light use. I read through these forums and saw to power down the phone and let it charge....so I did. When I turned it back on, it wanted to update to 4.4.4 - so I let it. Then, I let the battery drain to 15% (didn't take that long) and powered down the phone and charged it again.

After 14 hours, my battery is at 67%. Location services are off, screen brightness is at the lowest setting possible. Wi Fi is on.

Screen time on = 1 hour, 20 min
Voice Calls = 34 minutes
Phone idle = 12 hours 26 minutes

I don't know how to take a screen shot, sorry.

Other than a few texts, and a few quick games of Candy Crush (I know thats a bettery hog but still) I have no uses the phone at all. No facebook, downloading, streaming, browsing. I know the battery meter is a rough estimate, but it showed a 2% drop after having the screen on (not using any aps, just screen on) for 23 minutes - again at the lowest brightness.

Why is my battery dieing so quickly? I took it to the Verizon store today and was told to turn off the mobile data, since I live in an area that has spotty service and the phone uses a lot of power trying to connect. I was also told that after an update the battery needs a few charge cycles to get the most out of it, but that the battery life I have now is normal for the Maxx.

Is this really normal? I have ready of people using their phones far more and getting far more battery life. Do I just need to give it a few more charge cycles? Should I pwer down and recharge again, or leave my phone on while charging? Is my battery defective?

I did the wipe cache parition today, so maybe that will help....

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks in advance!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I purchased this phone brand new a few days ago. After a few days I noticed the battery was not lasting anywhere NEAR 2 days even with very light use!

The advertised 48 hour battery life was for the original 4.2.2 Jellybean install with very light use and perfect mobile data connection. It was advertising BS compared to the way that most of us use mobile phones. If it gets you through a full day from wake up to back to bed without having to charge, it's better than just about any other phone you can buy now. Plug it in while you sleep and wake up with a full charge. Plug in while you're driving in the car.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am on vacation and not using my phone much. This has been the only time I have seen 2 days use out of the battery. Normally phone comes off charger at 5:30 am and goes back on at 11:00 pm with 20-30% charge left. This is the only phone that he lasted me a day without a battery swap or two.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 9297.jpg
    9297.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 9296.jpg
    9296.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 158

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
On a typical work day, after 17 hours, with about 3.5-4 hours of screen on time, I usually plug back in with 60-70% remaining. It's incredible, but keep in mind I have my screen brightness set to the lowest possible setting (I am usually indoors) and a good amount of my screen on time is relatively low battery consumption tasks, such as reading Nook books.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
After 14 hours, my battery is at 67%

Sounds pretty good to me. Follow that with 8 hours of sleep, where the phone will barely get used, and shouldn't lose too much battery life, and you could make it at least most of the way through day 2. The 2-day battery life is a claim based in fairly optimal conditions & usage, so the fact you can make it through a full day (day of being awake and using it, not 24 hour day) and still have well over half the battery left makes me wonder what you're upset about...

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Your stats are fairly normal and definitely don't point to a problem with the hardware or battery. 2% battery drop for 23 minutes of screen on time is perfectly normal, even with the brightness all the way down. What are the other usage stats in the battery screen? Is the android system, phone idle, or cell standby above 10% or so? You said wifi is on, but are you connected to a network? It may just be that your signal is poor, which causes faster battery drain.

You can try clearing the data in google play services, and as a last resort a factory data reset.

Dan Derp

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The screenshot is when I was playing two battery hogging games. I usually get 11hours of battery life(Minecraft, clash of clans, social media and chrome) with my maxx and I expected to get more with a large 3500 MaH battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-22-13-40-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-13-40-03.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 99

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty well back to where I was before last update. On wifi most of the time, I made three days and still had 30% left. (Not a gamer, no streaming of anything)

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was getting awesome battery life before 444. After updated it really sucked. I went in and deleted any App that i was nt using or needed and now it seems to have settled down to the former battery life. It always seems that it takes a week or 2 before the battery life returns to normal after an update.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It always seems that it takes a week or 2 before the battery life returns to normal after an update.

Yes this is nothing new. After every update it's the same old song and dance. People screaming about how their battery is OMG so horrible. And I mean literally within hours after they do the update. Just chill out for a week or so and do a few cache clearing sequences and chances are all will be right with the world.

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I had a major legitimate gripe. I was only getting 12hrs on a full battery charge for a few weeks. Noticed that my operating system in battery stats was always second highest besides screen time. Finally got upset enough to do a factory reset and cache clean. Apparently that did the trick as instantly the past few days have been like a new phone. The operating system all day is back to 5% where as before, it was at 16-18%. Whatever in the matrix that gunked it up seemed to have gone away with a truly fresh start. Worked for me anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App