Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hgouck
  • 1 Post By Zorro1
  • 1 Post By Umass021
  • 1 Post By nocaldawg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default Droid Maxx still a good phone?

Hey guys I have a G2 with dead spots on the screen. Looking to either replace it with another one or with a Maxx. Had the Razr Maxx for 2 years with out much problems. Would you still recommend a Maxx after you had it for awhile?

Default Re: Droid Maxx still a good phone?

I have the ultra and it is still going strong, but I would wait. Rumors are swirling about a newer version coming.

-Jason

Global Posts
    1,173 Global Posts

The Maxx has been one of the best phones I have owned. With what is on the market now it still ranks high. This is the time of year where new phones are in the pipeline. But you will not go wrong with getting a Maxx. If you can purchase it straight up without contract you will have the best of both worlds with the flexibility to change in 6 months

Posted via Android Central App
    jesta192 likes this.

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

I haven't seen one better, yet. Moto's quality when it comes to the radios is without equal. And the Moto stuff that's hardware related you cannot get elsewhere, the 'breathing' notifications, the flick of the wrist and shoot camera!, the 'touch it or move it to see the time'. Amazing stuff. Just upgraded my wife's a few months back and picked this one.
    jesta192 likes this.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yes, still a good phone. Unlike my Thunderbolt, my Maxx has not developed a case of "lag." I don't have too much running in the background - I don't have active wallpaper, for instance, and I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

I am waiting on the Moto 360 to see what that offers. I think they will make a great pair.

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Still a great phone. There is probably nothing out there I would trade it for as of now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
    dea0002 likes this.

Best phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of flagship phones. Nothing else comes close in real life you-will-use-them features.

I bought into the G3 mania and have been using one for a few days. Very nice device, but no always listening is a turn off.

Still, the Maxx is getting a bit long in the tooth if you're the kind of guy who needs the latest and greatest. With the next version due soon, might want to hold off another month.
    Last edited by Distorted Loop; 07-28-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: 7

That's a silly question. It's less than a year old. Of course it's still a good phone.

I posted some comparo questions on the maxx vs all of the new stuff that is out there. While each might have a sweet feature that beats the maxx (Like the qHD screen on the G3), none of the new units come close to the whole maxx package. I might be tempted to move for a newer moto, but the maxx has me quite content almost a year in.
    jesta192 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nocaldawg View Post
    I posted some comparo questions on the maxx vs all of the new stuff that is out there. While each might have a sweet feature that beats the maxx (Like the qHD screen on the G3), none of the new units come close to the whole maxx package. I might be tempted to move for a newer moto, but the maxx has me quite content almost a year in.
    I love my maxx and the latest update really helped the camera. ive tried all the flagships and overall nothing really beats the maxx . that being said ive not had great luck with the always listening feature . ive tried lots of time to use it in my daily use and it just never works properly. its easier to just touch the search button. that being said I love active notifications . I cant wait to see the new maxx and I pray it continues where this one leaves off.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

The battery life alone on this thing is amazing. It's great only having to charge my phone every other day and I like that I can charge my phone on Friday and have enough battery to get me through Monday. I've had many high end phones, and I really enjoy the Maxx. I've experienced no lag, no unexpected stops, it just works.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I loved the G2 till this screen issue. Co worker had It for about a month and went back to an Iphone. Bought it used so no warranty. Noticed the sim cards are different. How would I change it over to a different sim?

Quote Originally Posted by fantic View Post
    I loved the G2 till this screen issue. Co worker had It for about a month and went back to an Iphone. Bought it used so no warranty. Noticed the sim cards are different. How would I change it over to a different sim?
    You'll either need to cut your SIM, use an adapter, or easiest to just get a proper SIM from your carrier.

If you go the cutting route, don't try to do it by hand, buy a cutter from Amazon.

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread 2.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Umass021 View Post
    Still a great phone. There is probably nothing out there I would trade it for as of now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
    It's a great phone, easily the best I've had and the first to cure me of my serial upgrade desire. Occasionally I'll have an impulse to jump on the G3 bandwagon, but I just live the battery life and smooth, dependable delivery of the Maxx.

Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Well I ordered a Maxx off of Gazelle and It came as an Ultra. So mad. Just returned it. Still rocking the Razr Maxx. Maybe I'll wait to see what the next batch of phones will be.

Droid maxx 16gb versions sell for under 300 on swappa.com and eBay. The 32gb, especially if dev edition or consumer edition with unlocked bootloader, sells for more, even used.

If you're gonna root, make sure it's 4.4. Although there is a new exploit waiting to be released that will change that.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.