Droid Maxx still a good phone?

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have a G2 with dead spots on the screen. Looking to either replace it with another one or with a Maxx. Had the Razr Maxx for 2 years with out much problems. Would you still recommend a Maxx after you had it for awhile?

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the ultra and it is still going strong, but I would wait. Rumors are swirling about a newer version coming.

-Jason

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The Maxx has been one of the best phones I have owned. With what is on the market now it still ranks high. This is the time of year where new phones are in the pipeline. But you will not go wrong with getting a Maxx. If you can purchase it straight up without contract you will have the best of both worlds with the flexibility to change in 6 months

Posted via Android Central App

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen one better, yet. Moto's quality when it comes to the radios is without equal. And the Moto stuff that's hardware related you cannot get elsewhere, the 'breathing' notifications, the flick of the wrist and shoot camera!, the 'touch it or move it to see the time'. Amazing stuff. Just upgraded my wife's a few months back and picked this one.

And why do I keep forgetting the 2-3 day battery for normal folks? You just take it for granted.

Last edited:

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, still a good phone. Unlike my Thunderbolt, my Maxx has not developed a case of "lag." I don't have too much running in the background - I don't have active wallpaper, for instance, and I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

I am waiting on the Moto 360 to see what that offers. I think they will make a great pair.

Posted from my XT1080M

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Still a great phone. There is probably nothing out there I would trade it for as of now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Best phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of flagship phones. Nothing else comes close in real life you-will-use-them features.

I bought into the G3 mania and have been using one for a few days. Very nice device, but no always listening is a turn off.

Still, the Maxx is getting a bit long in the tooth if you're the kind of guy who needs the latest and greatest. With the next version due soon, might want to hold off another month.

Last edited:

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I posted some comparo questions on the maxx vs all of the new stuff that is out there. While each might have a sweet feature that beats the maxx (Like the qHD screen on the G3), none of the new units come close to the whole maxx package. I might be tempted to move for a newer moto, but the maxx has me quite content almost a year in.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I posted some comparo questions on the maxx vs all of the new stuff that is out there. While each might have a sweet feature that beats the maxx (Like the qHD screen on the G3), none of the new units come close to the whole maxx package. I might be tempted to move for a newer moto, but the maxx has me quite content almost a year in.
I love my maxx and the latest update really helped the camera. ive tried all the flagships and overall nothing really beats the maxx . that being said ive not had great luck with the always listening feature . ive tried lots of time to use it in my daily use and it just never works properly. its easier to just touch the search button. that being said I love active notifications . I cant wait to see the new maxx and I pray it continues where this one leaves off.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The battery life alone on this thing is amazing. It's great only having to charge my phone every other day and I like that I can charge my phone on Friday and have enough battery to get me through Monday. I've had many high end phones, and I really enjoy the Maxx. I've experienced no lag, no unexpected stops, it just works.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I loved the G2 till this screen issue. Co worker had It for about a month and went back to an Iphone. Bought it used so no warranty. Noticed the sim cards are different. How would I change it over to a different sim?

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I loved the G2 till this screen issue. Co worker had It for about a month and went back to an Iphone. Bought it used so no warranty. Noticed the sim cards are different. How would I change it over to a different sim?
You'll either need to cut your SIM, use an adapter, or easiest to just get a proper SIM from your carrier.

If you go the cutting route, don't try to do it by hand, buy a cutter from Amazon.

dea0002

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Still a great phone. There is probably nothing out there I would trade it for as of now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

It's a great phone, easily the best I've had and the first to cure me of my serial upgrade desire. Occasionally I'll have an impulse to jump on the G3 bandwagon, but I just live the battery life and smooth, dependable delivery of the Maxx.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I ordered a Maxx off of Gazelle and It came as an Ultra. So mad. Just returned it. Still rocking the Razr Maxx. Maybe I'll wait to see what the next batch of phones will be.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Droid maxx 16gb versions sell for under 300 on swappa.com and eBay. The 32gb, especially if dev edition or consumer edition with unlocked bootloader, sells for more, even used.

If you're gonna root, make sure it's 4.4. Although there is a new exploit waiting to be released that will change that.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I have a G2 with dead spots on the screen. Looking to either replace it with another one or with a Maxx. Had the Razr Maxx for 2 years with out much problems. Would you still recommend a Maxx after you had it for awhile?
I am a first responder, and my phone simply has got to work. The Droid Maxx is so good that I believe it should be the industry standard for public safety officials.

My Droid Maxx is by far the best phone that I have ever had. Also, the best Android device that I have ever run across. Battery life sets a new standard (about three solid days of full connectivity), I would not even CONSIDER a phone in the future that was not on par. Reception and sound quality are superb. The phone is quick, force close issues are non-existent on Motorola software (even rooted and modified).

The memory limitations initially concerned me, since this is my first phone without a micro SD card. In realty, the 32 gigs have been more than enough. It's actually just a big buffer cache for my online storage, which is now virtually seamless.

Screen clarity is the best of any phone (of any brand) that I have ever seen. Pixel density is part of the total equation, but seeing is believing. Touch responsiveness is excellent.

Sound.... This phone is amazingly LOUD. There, said it, mean it.

Unlocking the bootloader is a pain, if that is important to you. But once resolved, the device is easily modified. If you are not very, very brave then you should purchase an unlocked model.

Lots of ROMs for the Maxx. I tried them all, then went back to Moto and built my own from that base (4.4.4) and I love it. The shake cam and the active display far surpass anything that the after-market apks offer.

WiFi snaps to attention instantly when available. I read in somebody's review that the Maxx isn't able to act as a tether - HOGWASH!! I use it all the time as a hot spot for my tablet and laptop. Range is good, speeds are acceptable.

Bluetooth connectivity is outstanding. My Honda loves my Maxx, scooping up the Bluetooth connection anytime I get near my car. I don't like the automatic driving settings, because I spend lots and lots of time in my car at a dead standstill. But that is just a button push fix.

This is a very well designed phone. It is tough, reliable, and very high quality. I paid cash for mine, off contract, and I am happy with every penny spent.

I am eager to see what battery and performance improvement come with the Android L update.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I am a first responder, and my phone simply has got to work. The Droid Maxx is so good that I believe it should be the industry standard for public safety officials.

My Droid Maxx is by far the best phone that I have ever had. Also, the best Android device that I have ever run across. Battery life sets a new standard (about three solid days of full connectivity), I would not even CONSIDER a phone in the future that was not on par. Reception and sound quality are superb. The phone is quick, force close issues are non-existent on Motorola software (even rooted and modified).

The memory limitations initially concerned me, since this is my first phone without a micro SD card. In realty, the 32 gigs have been more than enough. It's actually just a big buffer cache for my online storage, which is now virtually seamless.

Screen clarity is the best of any phone (of any brand) that I have ever seen. Pixel density is part of the total equation, but seeing is believing. Touch responsiveness is excellent.

Sound.... This phone is amazingly LOUD. There, said it, mean it.

Unlocking the bootloader is a pain, if that is important to you. But once resolved, the device is easily modified. If you are not very, very brave then you should purchase an unlocked model.

Lots of ROMs for the Maxx. I tried them all, then went back to Moto and built my own from that base (4.4.4) and I love it. The shake cam and the active display far surpass anything that the after-market apks offer.

WiFi snaps to attention instantly when available. I read in somebody's review that the Maxx isn't able to act as a tether - HOGWASH!! I use it all the time as a hot spot for my tablet and laptop. Range is good, speeds are acceptable.

Bluetooth connectivity is outstanding. My Honda loves my Maxx, scooping up the Bluetooth connection anytime I get near my car. I don't like the automatic driving settings, because I spend lots and lots of time in my car at a dead standstill. But that is just a button push fix.

This is a very well designed phone. It is tough, reliable, and very high quality. I paid cash for mine, off contract, and I am happy with every penny spent.

I am eager to see what battery and performance improvement come with the Android L update.
Any phone can tether on Verizon as long as you're not in am unlimited plan. For those of us who are, unless we root, we can't tether.

The Maxx was the best phone I've ever owned for just shy of a full year, but it's starting to feel a bit long in the tooth. In its defence, I'm comparing it to my LGG3, which is much faster, snappier, and blows away the Maxx's display.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
But you don't have the hardware. You don't have a 2-3 day battery for normal folks. You don't have an active display where a jiggle brings up time and notifications. You don't have active listening so that you can just talk to it many times. You don't have the fastest from thought to picture camera in the universe. And you don't have the best radios.

Other than that, cool screen on those LG's and Sam's. :confused:

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
But you don't have the hardware. You don't have a 2-3 day battery for normal folks. You don't have an active display where a jiggle brings up time and notifications. You don't have active listening so that you can just talk to it many times. You don't have the fastest from thought to picture camera in the universe. And you don't have the best radios.

Other than that, cool screen on those LG's and Sam's. :confused:
I own both. It's a tough call. I found myself with more battery than I ever needed. The maxx display was just fine for me. Only reason I got the g3 was to do one last alternate upgrade legit. The g3 charges super fast even without smart charge 2.0.

I desperately miss active notifications. Assist and gestures too.

This g3 has a good radio in it but nothing beats a motorola.

I'm having a hard time letting my maxx go. I unlocked the bootloader. It's in mint condition. My partner has the 16gb version. I'm thinking we need to trade and I should just sell hers. That way if I ever want it back I could get it quickly.

I hope sunshine works for the droid turbo. I am also praying the display is bigger than 5.2"

I would give my left testicle for a functioning padfone on verizon with a motorola radio....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk