Camera app not working

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Update 2: Inspite of ok google disabled, camera app only works 40% of the times, any help how to make sure camera works?

Update: Turn off OK Google detection in any app in the settings of the Google search app. With touchless controls on the Droids, this feature isn't needed anyway, and the feature blocks the video camera from working by holding the microphone open.

Two Droid Maxx, pretty much the same complain. After 4.4.4 update camera was working fine and dandy for few days. After that I started getting error messages, "restart camera app" when ever I would launch the camera app. On launching there would be a BLANK screen with two NON-WORKING buttons on the bottom (one for swaping front-back camera and other for movie). Initially restarting the phone helped but now even that is not helping. After 3 days of camera not working, suddenly the camera worked for 20 minutes and replaced again with the BLANK screen.

Anybody having similar problems? What should I do? I cleared the camera cache but havenot gone through full wipe. These are TWO droids having similar problems after the 4.4.4 update. No new app have been downloaded for last one month or so on both phones. Looking into running and cache apps. there is just the usual google and motorola stuff, facebook, some amazon and verizon stuff but nothing related to camera. These stuff have been running for a long time before the update unless something got added OTA with the last update.

Please Help!

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If wiping the cache partition doesn't help, back up all of your photos and videos and do a factory data reset. I've not had the camera issues you're describing on my phone, so, if a cache wipe doesn't help, and a full reset doesn't help, then it's time for a warranty replacement.

king_of_lakemoor

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue and nothing would resolve it. Sent the phone in for a warranty replacement and I am no longer getting the camera issue, but now I am getting a video camera issue. The video camera will not work at all.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue and nothing would resolve it. Sent the phone in for a warranty replacement and I am no longer getting the camera issue, but now I am getting a video camera issue. The video camera will not work at all.

Turn off OK Google detection in any app in the settings of the Google search app. With touchless controls on the Droids, this feature isn't needed anyway, and the feature blocks the video camera from working by holding the microphone open.

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Any help? I have disabled OK google now and camera app only works 40% of the times. Anyway to make it better?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Any help? I have disabled OK google now and camera app only works 40% of the times. Anyway to make it better?

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, you don't have to disable "ok google now" (which is Touchless controls on the Maxx). Go into the google search app, or open google now (it's the same thing), scroll down to the bottom of the screen. There is a menu control bottom right. Tap that. Hit settings. Hit voice. Hit "ok google" detection. Turn off the setting "from any screen". You can probably disable all of the other items, too.

That's what blocks the video camera from capturing audio.

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes everything turned off, here is the screen shot

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 6537.jpg
    6537.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 109

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Any othe rsuggestions for this? I'm having the exact same issue on my Maxx and have tried the suggestions above.

You can try starting in safe mode to rule out an app that may be using the microphone in the background or something. Long-press power like you would to shut power off, but instead of tapping power off, long-press it and a dialog will come up offering to restart the phone in safe mode. If the camera works fine in safe mode, then it's likely some app that is preventing the camera from working.

Otherwise:

If wiping the cache partition doesn't help, back up all of your photos and videos and do a factory data reset. I've not had the camera issues you're describing on my phone, so, if a cache wipe doesn't help, and a full reset doesn't help, then it's time for a warranty replacement.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, you don't have to disable "ok google now" (which is Touchless controls on the Maxx). Go into the google search app, or open google now (it's the same thing), scroll down to the bottom of the screen. There is a menu control bottom right. Tap that. Hit settings. Hit voice. Hit "ok google" detection. Turn off the setting "from any screen". You can probably disable all of the other items, too.

That's what blocks the video camera from capturing audio.

I just tested this. I have detection from any screen turned on and video records with audio, no problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Cmel38

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
The message saying my camera is busy keeps popping up randomly when I try and use it and when i try to open up other apps like snap chat

paullackey

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a droid turbo with the same problem. The problem was that I had a ton of applications running in the background that I did not know I had running. The button on the bottom right opens up a rolodex of all the apps that were open. After swiping them all closed the camera began to work perfectly. Hope this helps some of you that are having the same problem.

paullackey

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Press the bottom right button which opens a rolodex list of all the apps you have running in the background. Swipe them all closed and then try the camera.

krnlueck

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: Camera app not working on Droid Maxx 2

Every time I try to take a photo with my Droid Maxx 2, I get a message "Unfortunately, Camera has stopped.

Please help. I'm not tech saavy.