Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICE or emergency calls from locked screen

I tried to figure out a way to link to a thread in the KitKat 4.4 forum, but couldn't. I'm pretty sure that my issue is KitKat related, not just limited to the Droid Maxx.

Forgive me if this has been answered, but my search-fu might be weak today.

I'm nearly certain that in the recent past, you could designate a set of ICE (In Case of Emergency) contacts, and those contacts could be called as an emergency call, even if your screen was locked (like mine almost always is unless the phone is in my hand.)

I don't know when that feature disappeared. I'm somewhat sure it was available on my Motorola Droid Maxx from Verizon, when I got it back in April. I'm nearly certain that it was on my Motorola Razr Maxx.

I think, maybe, that the feature disappeared with the upgrade from 4.4 to 4.4.4.

I don't see an ICE group listed in my contacts. Clearly I could create one, but would it be recognized as an In Case of Emergency group, and thus available from the emergency call link on a locked screen.

What is your experience? Do you remember this feature? Do you still have it?

In addition to the obvious utility in an emergency, the feature is useful if a good person found your lost phone, and could use it to call one of your contacts.

Default Re: ICE or emergency calls from locked screen

That was never on the Droid Maxx. You can put owner info on the lock screen though. Settings / Security & lock screen / owner info
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You certainly could be right, but we no longer have any phones in the house that are not Droid Maxx for me to check.

Putting owner info on the lock screen can help, but isn't as useful as ICE contacts.

This sounds like an issue to escalate with Verizon (I think only Verizon has the Droid line, correct?)

I doubt it will help to call Verizon about it, but it won't hurt, either. I think there are third party ice apps in the app store that can provide that functionality. I think this was discussed recently here (search the forum) and I recall somebody who actually is an emt or emergency room employee who said that they never check phones for ice contacts anyway.