Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jfriend33
  • 1 Post By T-Rob
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dan rosenberg has found an exploit to unlock the moto x (and other devices) bootloader!!!

I first saw this announced here:

Confirmed: Bootloader unlock Exploit found!… | Droid Ultra | XDA Forum

Now we just need to wait for a usable package/instructions/app.

Default Re: Dan rosenberg has found an exploit to unlock the moto x (and other devices) bootloader!!!

Yes sir! The awesome Dan Rosenberg! Because of him I was able to unlock my bootloader on my previous droid razr maxx hd.

This will be a wonderful thing for our other newer 16gb maxx.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
    CrazyRussian007 likes this.

Default Re: Dan rosenberg has found an exploit to unlock the moto x (and other devices) bootloader!!!

Looking forward to not having to decline an update every morning to keep my tethering...
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Looking forward to not having to decline an update every morning to keep my tethering...
    You know what's funny? Before I decided to upgrade to KitKat, I had rooted my phone and done the entitlement mod to be able to tether. I went ahead and upgraded...I lost root as I had expected, but for some reason, the entitlement mod stuck and I can still tether. Weird.
    FastKatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    You know what's funny? Before I decided to upgrade to KitKat, I had rooted my phone and done the entitlement mod to be able to tether. I went ahead and upgraded...I lost root as I had expected, but for some reason, the entitlement mod stuck and I can still tether. Weird.
    Which particular entitlement mod? And which version of kitkat?

I've read a few posts claiming they maintained root, but lost WP off.

Not sure what to do at this point. I want the camera fixed, but don't want to lose full root. I'm on 4.4 with root and WP OFF just for entitlement app.

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Loop View Post
    Which particular entitlement mod? And which version of kitkat?

I've read a few posts claiming they maintained root, but lost WP off.

Not sure what to do at this point. I want the camera fixed, but don't want to lose full root. I'm on 4.4.2 with root and WP OFF just for entitlement app.
    When I was on 4.2, I was rooted and had done the entitlement mod. When I upgraded to 4.4, I knew I was gonna lose my root and figured that meant I would lose my tethering mod. Well, I did lose root, but I didn't lose my ability to tether.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    When I was on 4.2, I was rooted and had done the entitlement mod. When I upgraded to 4.4, I knew I was gonna lose my root and figured that meant I would lose my tethering mod. Well, I did lose root, but I didn't lose my ability to tether.
    Hmm..I didn't lose root updating to 4.4. I used SuperSU survival mode.

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Really? Never heard of that app. Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Loop View Post
    Hmm..I didn't lose root updating to 4.4. I used SuperSU survival mode.
    What method did you use for root before the upgrade? I used MotoRoot, and when I go into SuperSu Pro, it has Survival Mode greyed out & says "this feature not supported in xbin mode".
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    What method did you use for root before the upgrade? I used MotoRoot, and when I go into SuperSu Pro, it has Survival Mode greyed out & says "this feature not supported in xbin mode".
    Pieroot and then the WP off hack.

I'm confused, do we or don't we have the ability to unlock the bootloader? I read that thread and it seems to me that they have a theory that they can use the unlock codes multiple times but nothing is posted on how to use them or available codes.

Sent from my Droid Maxx by Motorola with Tapatalk.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    I'm confused, do we or don't we have the ability to unlock the bootloader? I read that thread and it seems to me that they have a theory that they can use the unlock codes multiple times but nothing is posted on how to use them or available codes.

Sent from my Droid Maxx by Motorola with Tapatalk.
    A vulnerability has been found which could be exploited to unlock bootloaders - now we need to wait for someone to create a tool that will use that vulnerability. So, to directly answer your question: the ability to unlock bootloaders exists but no user friendly tool yet.

Any more news on this? Has anything been produced?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silverback View Post
    Any more news on this? Has anything been produced?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Nope. The silence has been deafening. You can bet it will be big news that you won't miss if it does ever actually happen.