Looking for Advice

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I will be receiving my Droid Maxx next week and I would like to know some of your thoughts on it running 4.4.4 compared to 4.2.2. I've done a lot of research and it's pretty much 50/50 as far as the pros/cons of each. I am almost certain I will receive it running 4.4.2. Any and all advice and/or comments are welcome.

Posted via the Android Central App

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The only issues I've read about on these forums relate to not having root anymore and battery life being worse. I used to root and rom the hell out of my thunderbolt and galaxy nexus but this phone works so well without it that I haven't even thought about rooting. The only reason to root that I've read about here is to get free tethering, but I'll bet most people are on share everything plans now which already come with free tethering. So basically, if you don't want to root, not being able to shouldn't be a big deal. And if you do, supposedly a bootloader unlock method may be coming soon.

Now about battery life... I personally haven't seen any change in battery life since going to 4.4.4. The key is to look at the average screen on time you get per charge. I check this frequently to see if my battery life is changing and I still consistently get about 6 hours screen on time on a charge which has to be way better than most phones available or at least as good.

I still contend that all things considered this is still the best phone on Verizon: amazing battery life, decent camera, not too small and not too big, near pure Google experience, and the awesome active notifications and touchless controls. I'm very satisfied, even on 4.4.4.

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It won't be running 4.4.2 - the Maxx went 4.4 - > 4.4.4. If it's a choice between those two, take the latter, unless you really want root.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The real issue isn't rooting 4.4.4, it's keeping write protection off status.

I've read several posts claiming that root was maintained updating to 4.4.4, but WP Off was lost.

As long as the phone doesn't come on 4.4.4 you should be able to root and then upgrade, but root is somewhat limited when you can't write to the system partition.

I would agree that the Droid Maxx doesn't needed root for most people. There are a few reasons for power users or unlimited data users, but I didn't root mine the first nine months or so of owning it.

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments & suggestions!! I definitely feel that I've made the right decision going with the Maxx. Only other question is does anyone know if it's shipping with either version of kitkat or jellybean?

Posted via the Android Central App