Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP!!...Droid MAXX sync w/Mac

New to droid & not a techie per se, have 4.4.4 version. Did some research of apps to sync my phone w/my Macbook pro. Went w/SmoothSync for iCal and for contacts...either I m doing something v wrong or, as usual, SDW (sh!t don't work)..sync not permanent, must reinstall daily...any help greatly appreciated...

Posted via the Android Central App

Default Re: HELP!!...Droid MAXX sync w/Mac

What exactly are you trying to sync? I sync my calendars and contacts to Google Calendar and Google contacts and I can count on one hand the number of times that I connect my Maxx to my Mac in the last year.

So, just calendars, contacts, or something more?

I guess I should clarify... You can set up iCal to sync with google calendar directly, which then syncs with your phone from Google instead of by connecting cables, etc., using a protocol called CalDAV. The Mac contacts (or address book, depending on the Mac version) supports something similar called CardDAV.

See https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/99358?hl=en for google calendar/iCal sync instructions, and http://email.about.com/od/macosxmail...-OS-X-Mail.htm for CardDAV instructions.

Do you need anything else to sync?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you for your help.

Honestly, I don't know...I downloaded SmoothSync which supposedly is designed to seamlessly sync Mac contacts and the Mac calendar to the Android environment, two separate pay downloads. What I can tell you is that neither is contiguous nor seamless and I have to create a new account daily for them to work, which is BS.

Posted via the Android Central App

Right, ok, so I think follow the directions to add Google contact sync with CardDAV and Google Calendar sync with iCal using CalDAV and you'll stay up to date with your main Google account. It works great for me. You may have some duplicate contacts (or contacts that need to be merged) after the first sync, but I think it's easiest to take care of them on Google contacts on a web browser on the Mac. Go to google.com/contacts and on the "More.." button there is an option "Find and merge contacts" that works better than trying to do it on the phone or in the contacts app on the Mac, in my opinion.