Maxx roaming all the time
11-13-2014 08:57 PM
- This started about 3 weeks ago. I noticed my Maxx was roaming quite a bit. I brought it into the VZW store and they quickly noticed that the wireless setting were set for Global instead of CDMA/LTE and switched it back, he assured me that roaming didn't cost any more. He said that sometimes that setting gets reset after an update and will cause roaming issues since Global will allow the phone to grab any tower instead of looking for a VZW tower first. A few days later it was clear that that hadn't fixed the issue so I went back in, this time someone reset the phone (soft reset or maybe just turned it off and back on, I'm not sure). He did this hoping that maybe the phone was 'stuck' on one tower. While he did that he asked me if I was losing calls and noticing any quality issues. I said I wasn't, but I don't make a lot of voice calls. He said that that was all he could really do and if I had any more problems I could call their network guy. It didn't help. Both times I felt like they were brushing me off.
About a week ago I went to a different VZW store. This time they swapped out the SIM card and said that should solve everything. It actually got worse. It still roams about half the time, but now it drops into 3G or 1X as well which causes the internet to slow down considerably.
Today I stopped in and explained the problem to the guy that grabs you at the front door to check you in. He basically said that they did everything they could do and that the antenna is probably broken. He asked me if I had a warranty and when I said I didn't he said "oh, too bad, if you did we could just swap out the phone for you, that's probably the next step". What was really aggravating is that when it became clear to him that I wasn't going to buy a new phone, as we were talking he walked me to the front door and held it open. Mid conversation, he literally ushered me out the door. He wasn't rude or anything, it was just that all of a sudden I realized that I was outside. He could have at least let me talk to a tech or called their network support guy for me instead of telling me I could call them.
Anyways, my questions are:
Has anyone else heard of this happening with these phones? If this is a known problem I can push harder for them to replace it. I have a business plan with my own rep so I really don't have to deal with the stores, that's just usually easier/faster. I understand that the phone is under warranty, but it shouldn't break through no fault of my own when it's 16 months old. I've never dropped it, gotten it wet or abused it in any way.
Is this likely to get worse?
This really sounds like a hardware issue, but is it possible is software related? 4.4.4, as I recall, just came out about a month ago on this phone, I have to wonder if that caused the problems. If that's the case maybe a patch will be released, if it's not just me.09-03-2014 12:35 AM
- The phone came out last August, so it's not 16 months old. I've seen reports that people are having problems with data since the 4.4.4 update and suspect it's am issue with the new broadband firmware that was included with the last update, but, so far, my phone is fine. (I have seen this issue reported on the Motorola support site, see this thread: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5d67186a89)
I think that the person who told you that global would make a difference didn't know what they were talking about.
I believe the phone has a 12 month warranty so if you bought close to launch day it may be just out of warranty but I would just pursue this issue with your business contact. Explain what has been done so far and ask for a replacement. However, if it has something to do with the broadband software provided with 4.4.4, the issue may not be fixed in the new phone. If it's a hardware issue, though, it should be.09-03-2014 06:19 AM
- Depending on when you bought the phone, you may still be under manufacturer warranty. Call Motorola and ask them for a replacement. You may get a replacement for free or you may have to pay a little bit. I had bought my Maxx in May, I don't have the Verizon insurance, mainly because I rarely keep a phone pass 12 months, and I dropped my phone. The screen cracked underneath the screen...never had this happen ever. I spoke with Motorola, they said was still under a 12 month warranty and sent me a replacement for free. I had to mail my broke phone to them. Good luck to you!
Posted via Android Central App09-03-2014 11:23 AM
- Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this (had shoulder surgery a few days ago). Looking around online, it looks like a lot of people (even on this board) are having similar issues with KitKat. Even doing a FDR isn't solving anything.From what I can tell, the only way to 'fix' it is to beg for a new phone and then not upgrade to KitKat.
My hope is that there's enough noise about it that Moto puts out a patch soon. Either that or Android L get released sooner rather than later. It's getting to the point where I'm having issues with phone calls now.
Here's two links, I know there's more forums out there with more people complaining about it.
A few Droid Maxx issues since 4.4.4 update
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/83166809-08-2014 05:47 PM
Posted via Android Central App09-08-2014 10:54 PM
- I only noticed the roaming (at first) because when my phone connects to my car, the roaming status shows up on my dashboard along with signal strength/battery level etc. On the phone itself, it's not displayed at the top, you have to pull down the shade to see it. Just looking at my phone normally it will, often, show that it only has 1 or 2 bars, and say 3G or 1x. When the signal is that low, if I pull down the shade it'll usually say Voice Roaming or Voice and Data Roaming.
For example, right now it says 4GLTE and shows two bars, pulling down the shade it says "Voice roaming" Up until recently, it's never roamed in my house, now it goes drifts back and forth between roaming and not roaming, 1-2 and 4-5, 4G and 3G. I can't hear callers (but they say they can hear me).
Also, now, just a minute later, it still says 4GLTE and shows two bars, but it no longer says "voice roaming", that's how quickly it changes.09-08-2014 11:55 PM
- 10-16-2014 09:34 AM
- I'm up in Vermont and *have* had this issue, as a matter of fact it became so aggravating that I switched to an old blackberry to get by hoping Google would bring out a fix. I really miss my Maxx so I fired it up to see if anything had changed . . nope, no updates and no change in performance. I have not gone to Verizon because this very clearly and definitely started right after I took the 4.4.4 update . . I came back to the forums to see if anyone had figured this out in the meantime but I'm not seeing anything there either. Lollipop seems like a long way off from here but I guess I'll wait and see . . .
I would consider going into Verizon anyway. I just drove to Burlington, VT and back last week and I never noticed my phone roaming. Maybe changing out the SIM card will help?10-16-2014 11:17 AMLike 1
- Well, it's been a while so I thought I'd update this. My phone roams (either Voice, Data or both) better than 50% of the time if I had to guess. The mini update we had a few weeks ago didn't make any difference at all. Just to address what doogald said about the SIM card, mine was changed out before I even started this thread and it didn't help, if anything it made it worse. I'm really hoping that Lollipop clears up this issue. I can deal with the voice roaming. All it really means is that I have to add area codes and that I drop a call here and there, but when I'm data roaming I effectively don't have internet access. A web page that should take 10 seconds to load can take several minutes.
If Lollipop doesn't clear up the issue I may try to get them to give me a new phone. IMO, it shouldn't matter that I don't have a warranty since I didn't break my phone, their update broke my phone and I really had no control over it.
Also, keep in mind that this phone doesn't make it obvious that it's roaming. It won't say it at the Icon Bar at the top, you have to pull the shade down to see it. The only reason I noticed it at first is because it says RM on my radio when it's connected to my car. If I didn't use bluetooth I probably wouldn't even be aware of the problem and never even know the phone was roaming.11-13-2014 08:57 PM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid Forums
- Motorola Droid MAXX
Maxx roaming all the time
- By adriantc_ro in forum Android AppsReplies: 12Last Post: 05-03-2016, 12:50 PM
- By acimag in forum HTC One M7Replies: 1Last Post: 09-03-2014, 07:10 AM
- By TheAutoMomma in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 2Last Post: 09-03-2014, 03:05 AM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-03-2014, 12:45 AM
- By DL2000820 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 ActiveReplies: 1Last Post: 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD