Battery over time

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My battery is getting worse over time. Not sure if it is physically degrading or I need a factory reset. Or, like some people feel it is Kit Kat.

I used to be able to work my battery hard for 16 hours. I could never do that now.

Still an awesome phone but I miss my workhorse battery.

Posted via Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I got about 28 hours with just under 5 hours of screen on time and 2 hours of calls. It had around 18% when I put it on the charger. I used to be able to make 36 hours, but I don't recall if I had the same amount of screen on time as I did yesterday. I find I'm using my Maxx more instead of using my Nexus 7 for most of my web browsing and saving my Galaxy S3's battery like I did before. But I've got my eye on the Droid Turbo now, so my Maxx will be relegated to backup.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wipe the cache partition on a regular basis. I actually had to charge my phone today during the day. Blah!!

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wipe the cache partition on a regular basis. I actually had to charge my phone today during the day. Blah!!

Have you had the phone since launch (just over a year)? I have and recently started noticing less battery life than I used to have, so I did a factory reset.

Things are a little faster, *** they always are after doing that, but the battery is about the same. Makes me think a year of hard, consistent use has taken it's toll.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you had the phone since launch (just over a year)? I have and recently started noticing less battery life than I used to have, so I did a factory reset.

Things are a little faster, *** they always are after doing that, but the battery is about the same. Makes me think a year of hard, consistent use has taken it's toll.

I still think that kitkat is causing a lot of this. My phone reduced battery life overnight after the kk update in December - it wasn't caused by a year's worth of charge cycles.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have had the phone now since early September 2013. I think the battery is just wearing down. It seems it has gotten a lot worse since the Advanced calling update. I wonder if that is going to be a battery sucker in general, even though it still says the highest percentage of usage is my screen time. I don't make a lot of calls and generally the screen goes blank after a minute.

I am glad you told me about the factory reset. I was thinking of doing one, but I didn't think that would help considering I have already wiped the cache partition and I can't find anything else running that seems to be sucking a lot of battery.

This is the first time I have not had a replaceable battery and I did worry about this at the time of purchase. All my other phones had batteries that started going bad and I replaced them. Maybe it is time for the dreaded Edge program.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree that there is a reduction of battery life since kit kat. But I average 2 1/2 - 3 hours talk time and 4-5 hours screen time daily and make it through the day.
You probably already know this and have checked for these conditions but just in case. Look for any app that is syncing to often (weather app, social media app, even auto back up apps). Also check that your screen is not set to high or not turning off in a timely manner . (I have mine set for auto brightness and times out in 1 min.) Also look at any apps that have updated and changed how you want them to perform.
I am probably preaching to the choir, but checking these functions has help me find the battery drainers.
Lastly, if you tend to be in areas where there is a weak signal you will have a major draw on the battery. That is when you find the Android OS and the top of your battery draw.

JMHO

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am glad you told me about the factory reset. I was thinking of doing one, but I didn't think that would help considering I have already wiped the cache partition and I can't find anything else running that seems to be sucking a lot of battery.

I thought the same thing about the factory reset and I was reluctant to go through the hassle of setting up my phone again. But I did my first one (hopefully only one) about a month ago when everything else I tried didn't work and it definitely worked.
Doogald helped me with some advice on what to do to prepare for doing one and how to recover my information. It wasn't hard just tedious.

JMHO

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same thing about the factory reset and I was reluctant to go through the hassle of setting up my phone again. But I did my first one (hopefully only one) about a month ago when everything else I tried didn't work and it definitely worked.
Doogald helped me with some advice on what to do to prepare for doing one and how to recover my information. It wasn't hard just tedious.

JMHO

I still may do one very soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol