Minor software update on 10/23/14

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
just got the update noticed and said later, with all of you posting issues its not worth doing it to see if it happens to me. why can't these companies produce a good "patch" or update? we all have "STOCK" phones only difference I figure is we all us different apps but I would guess at least 75% of us have facebook and other social apps in common. Maybe we will get Android L without bugs soon and I'll do that update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
just got the update noticed and said later, with all of you posting issues its not worth doing it to see if it happens to me. why can't these companies produce a good "patch" or update? we all have "STOCK" phones only difference I figure is we all us different apps but I would guess at least 75% of us have facebook and other social apps in common. Maybe we will get Android L without bugs soon and I'll do that update.

I just got the update. Facebook is running fine, Google+ is running fine - all of my apps are running fine. The update does do a cache wipe, that's for sure.

My thought is that android lollipop won't be coming for a while. Motorola will want to update the 2014 Moto X, the two Moto G phones, and Verizon will want to update the droid turbo first. I suspect it will be updated sometime in 2015.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, one problem so far. My moto skip wasn't unlocking the phone. I had to choose another unlock method and then set skip up from scratch. It was only then that I noticed that nfc was turned off.

It's all good now, but you soak testers, whoever you are, are really falling down on the job... ;)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's all good now, but you soak testers, whoever you are, are really falling down on the job

Honestly, I don't think Moto actually fixes many of the bugs the testers find. They just want to make sure the phone doesn't become inoperable after the update.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Got the update this morning. WTF is EAB Application? It's kept my phone awake since the update installed.

Also, my 360 seems to stop giving new notifications every once in a while now. Had to reinstall Wear after the update...

Attachments

• 1414717953684.jpg
    1414717953684.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 46

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Got the update this morning. WTF is EAB Application? It's kept my phone awake since the update installed.

I don't know, but that looks like the contacts app icon. Do you have an Exchange account on the phone? EAB - could that be "Exchange Address Book"?

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, but that looks like the contacts app icon. Do you have an Exchange account on the phone? EAB - could that be "Exchange Address Book"?

Nope. Only email I use is Gmail. I thought something similar based on the name and icon...

I rebooted and it seems to have stopped that app from waking the phone. Have to charge it overnight and keep an eye on it tomorrow.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that's why I put the smiley.

I've forgotten - what's the "new messages bug"?

I've got a new voicemail icon that will not go away. There are no messages in my inbox. It's been this way since 2 updates ago now. I can't get rid of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got a new voicemail icon that will not go away. There are no messages in my inbox. It's been this way since 2 updates ago now. I can't get rid of it.

Oh, I don't think this is a Motorola problem but a general android issue. I've read two fixes for this that might work:

Call from another phone and deliberately leave yourself a voice mail. Listen to it and delete it on your phone. See if that clears it.

Settings / apps / all / contacts. Tap it and then then tap clear data. Restart the phone. See if that helps. (If you have any contacts that are phone only make sure you back them up first. Synced contacts will sync back down a few minutes after the restart.)

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've noticed with the update is that my phone seems to have gotten faster. I've noticed faster browsing. Unfortunately it didn't my help my 4G signal. I still have a hard time getting a signal in my work bldg. It seems to be hit or miss.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure this is because Verizon enabled Basic Visual Voice-mail for everyone (free) with the previous update. You need to go into the voice-mail app and set it up, or the icon won't go away. You also get a free trial of the premium VVM for one month, but you can end that as soon as you finish the setup.

The app gives you an inbox for your messages that you can manage rather than having to call in to get them. Sort of how voice-mail is on an iPhone if you've ever used that.

It's a nice feature IMO, but you do have to set it up. I think that if you don't, people can't leave you messages, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

RivertonPaul

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
After the update I disabled the Kindle app (which I never used anyway) because it inexplicably drained my battery. The joys of updating.

Posted via Android Central App

Jake Zeitz

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Got this update today. I've been on t-mobile for a while but now I don't get signal. Well, it shows the bars but doesn't show h+ or anything. Can't connect to the internet at all. Turned it off and on a bunch of times hoping that would work. It has done this before when rebooting the phone, but after turning it off and on it usually fixes itself. That's not working anymore =( Anyone have any ideas?

eddied80

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
This update seems to kill the Active Display "hand wave" feature. I thought it was just me, but people are talking about it on the Motorola forums as well.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What hand wave?

Until this new update, if the phone was sitting face up on a level surface, and the screen was dark, and you had active display turned on, when you waved your hand a few inches above the proximity sensor (to the left of the earpiece), it would immediately turn on active display. Due to what I assume is a bug, this feature was lost with the new 23.3.24 update that added VoLTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1