Factory Reset question

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am still on 4.2.2 in order to retain my free hotspot. I am also rooted with MotoRoot, although root is not important to me. If I were to do a factory reset what operating system would it be restored to?

To me a factory reset implies that it would be restored to the way the phone was when I bought it. Then the updates would begin. But I am sure this isn't the case because if it were anyone could easily go back to a previous version and that isn't happening.

So what version of the operating system would I be on IF I were to do a factory reset? Would I be on 4.2.2 since that is what I am on now or would it force me into Kitcat?

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset will not "download" any system updates - the reset performs its operation solely based on the local files: if you are currently on 4.4, after factory reset you will still be on 4.4 - it will not automatically upgrade you. The reset wipes data and cache partitions, also, sdcard if specified.

If you have your bootloader unlocked then it does not really matter for your - you can always install a custom recovery and root from it, even the latest 4.4.4. As of today, there is native tether hack available for all versions - so, you are good there too.

IF you don't have your bootloader unlocked - I would recommend you do that first and the easiest way for you it will be using the Sunshine app.

My recommendation would be:
1. Unlock your bootloader, if not already unlocked
2. Factory reset
3. Get all updates
4. Install TWRP which on the first reboot will ask you if you want to install root - install it
5. Use this MOD to get native tether [MOD][4.4.4]Native Tether for Build 23.3.23

This way you'll be on the latest version with free tether.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Too technical for me to do all that. I don't even need root. I only have it to use Titanium Backup and I am sure I can get other backup apps that don't require root.

So you are saying that if I do a factory reset (I am on 4.2.2) that I will still be on 4.2.2 after a factory reset?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech