Contacts app crashing after OTA update 23.3.24

wyrenth

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm having an annoying issue where Contacts crashes whenever I try to open it (the general, "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped" message). I often have to retry it multiple times before it cooperates. It happens in Safe Mode as well. This started not long after the last OTA update. It will sometimes happen when opening the Dialer as well.

Short of a factory reset, is there anything I can try to troubleshoot this? Are there any tools that check the integrity of a system app and re-download it if necessary? The phone is not rooted, so I'm limited in regards to utilities that require it.

Motorola support was unsurprisingly not helpful, but I was probably chatting with someone on the lowest tier.

Corey Spell

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm having an annoying issue where Contacts crashes whenever I try to open it (the general, "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped" message). I often have to retry it multiple times before it cooperates. It happens in Safe Mode as well. This started not long after the last OTA update. It will sometimes happen when opening the Dialer as well.

Short of a factory reset, is there anything I can try to troubleshoot this? Are there any tools that check the integrity of a system app and re-download it if necessary? The phone is not rooted, so I'm limited in regards to utilities that require it.

Motorola support was unsurprisingly not helpful, but I was probably chatting with someone on the lowest tier.

wyrenth

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
That may have done the trick, thank you! I'll know for certain in the long run. The only painful part is that, now that it's downloaded my contacts back from cloud storage, I have to replace the portraits with high-res copies (for some reason, Google stores the crapiest version possible on the cloud).

I'm fairly certain it was the Contacts Storage, as I had tried clearing data on Contacts earlier. Didn't even know Contacts Storage was an app! :)

newbeginning828

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This didn't work for me :/ Still having the same annoying issue when I try to open up the contacts app. It actually almost seems worse after clearing the data.

Anyone else have any ideas, short of a fdr?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hgupta#CB

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Deleting contact storage data worked for me.

It did end up clearing out some of the pictures that I had as well and replacing them with miniature portraits. Is there a good way to fix that?

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Deleting the contact storage data, did work for me. But the problem did return. What works for me is that after opening the contacts icon and getting the error message, I close it out, then open up the dialer and issue is resolved. But I'm starting to think the problem comes back as soon as a call is received. Might be coincidental however.

tbcurtis

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see this problem until I switched to ART. Has this been the case for the rest of you? Clearing Contacts and Contact Storage helps but it does come back. I believe it might be an issue with the people app and not so much the dialer.

tbcurtis

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I had it crash again. More and more I look at it I believe it might be caused by Advanced Calling aka Video Calling. When mine crashed I was unable to use Advanced Calling until after a reboot.

newbeginning828

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine continues to crash as well. I haven't ever switched to ART though. I had enabled Advanced Calling but turned it off due to different issues with calls.

Clearing cache helps but after a while it just starts crashing again. It's really annoying but I really don't want to fdr.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

awl_bidness

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same problem for several months. Clearing the cache seems to help, but not for long. The behavior is the same with either Dalvik or ART. Contacts will eventually work, but it may take 6 or 8 attempts before I can see my contacts.

tbcurtis

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
After further investigation. Disabling Google+ seems to be the ultimate fix!

Open Up App Drawer -> Long Tap Google+ -> Drag to App Info -> Tap Disable (If asked to Uninstall Updates, Tap Ok)

For you loyal Google+ Fans. I have a found a fix for you to!
Open Up App Drawer -> Long Tap Google+ -> Drag to App Info -> Tap Clear Data -> Launch Google+ -> Tap Next until you get to Your Contacts -> Uncheck "Keep My address book up to date" and Uncheck "Improve Suggestions"

I have still seen crashes from Google+ being enable but not as bad with the options unchecked...The best thing to do is disable Google+.

I believe the issue stems from lack of internet service. If Google+ can't update the contacts it will crash the contacts application. The best way to confirm this is reboot your phone and try to access the dialer or contacts. Hope this helps!

Now if only we could get Lollipop we'll be set!