DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update News

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguyatx

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Lollipop for Droid Maxx?

Yeah same here but my google maps crashing notices started happened after I switched from Dalvik to Art

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update?

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

ADDITION COMMENT:
With respect the 2013 DROID Ultra family of devices... we are running into some "partner support" issues for the Lollipop upgrade. We are actively trying to work through these issue and I will update you guys as soon as I have more information. Sorry about not having clearer direction for you but my hands are a little tied at the moment until we work through the issue with our partner.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Alright, the Moto X 2013 is running lollipop 5.1, since it's basically the same phone, we should be very close to next in line.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

mcaples

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I watched a video on Youtube from Brazil that showed the Moto Maxx (international Droid Turbo) with Lollipop...the girl in it was speaking Portuguese, but it was still cool to watch...that was a few months ago...so it seems it *is* VZW...but thats cool...not like waiting for ICS stuck with GB...KitKat is pretty cool...so waiting is not that bad

Posted via the Android Central App

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I hope to see the update before my phone upgrade August 20. Not holding my breath.

Posted via Android Central App

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I hope to see the update before my phone upgrade August 20. Not holding my breath.

I'll be very disappointed if it's not updated to Lollipop by that time. My upgrade is in October, so if this phone doesn't get upgraded then I'll probably move on from the Droid line. I've been very happy with the Maxx other than the slow updates and bad 4G/Wifi signal. I might go with the Samsung Note or Galaxy next time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm done with the Droid brand for sure, sadly. But the last few editions have had too many issues that went too long being updated while other phones did receive them. It's clear that Verizon doesn't care so much about fixing issues on the Droid brand as fast as I would like.

I'm pretty sure that I am going iPhone this fall after my upgrade date (Aug 20).

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm done with the Droid brand for sure, sadly. But the last few editions have had too many issues that went too long being updated while other phones did receive them. It's clear that Verizon doesn't care so much about fixing issues on the Droid brand as fast as I would like.

I'm pretty sure that I am going iPhone this fall after my upgrade date (Aug 20).

I've tried using iphones of some of my family members and I don't like it. Androids are easier to use. Also, they lag behind Androids. That iphone 6 came a year or two too late. Other better phones were already out.

Andy88488

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Interesting... I'm thinking the same thing. I'm tired of not getting updates, and I'm tired of feeling like my phone is spying on me. With iPhone 6 and IOS 8, Apple fixed the two things that were real deal breakers for me: tiny screen size and lack of customizability.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... I'm thinking the same thing. I'm tired of not getting updates, and I'm tired of feeling like my phone is spying on me. With iPhone 6 and IOS 8, Apple fixed the two things that were real deal breakers for me: tiny screen size and lack of customizability.
The problem is the iPhone 6 is a junk phone. It's flimsy and easy to break. The battery is smaller than what's in the Droid Maxx. If the iPhone 6 would've came out two years ago, maybe then I'd get it. It would be taking a step backwards from the Droid Maxx. I'd rather get the newest Samsung.

Sent from my XT1080

Andy88488

May 20, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the iPhone 6 is a junk phone. It's flimsy and easy to break. The battery is smaller than what's in the Droid Maxx. If the iPhone 6 would've came out two years ago, maybe then I'd get it. It would be taking a step backwards from the Droid Maxx. I'd rather get the newest Samsung.

Sent from my XT1080

I know that the battery isn't as good. I'm just tired of the Maxx. No updates. No accessories. Persistent wi-fi notification bug. Google spying on me.

Regarding the iPhone being flimsy, everyone I know who has one loves it. And there are advantages when everyone you care about is already using one.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I love android, but I also have an iPad and everyone else in my family has an iPhone, so I am well aware of the strengths and weaknesses.

I'll tell you one weakness of Android, though. When I connect headphones, wither wired or bt, or connect by bt to my car, and press play, 9 times out of 10 nothing happens and I have to fiddle with my phone. With an iPhone, that never happens - it remembers what media/apo was playing last and picks up where it left off.

There are weaknesses to both platforms, but I've grown tired of Android's, so it may be time to try out the other side.

Ios9 is supposed to dramatically improve battery use, just as android m will, but I'll never see m until next spring unless Verizon offers a nexus I like. People I know with iphones get through a day, and they definitely do with a Plus, and every car I have has an audio player that allows USB connection to an iPhone, but not to Android phones, so I'll find plenty of ways to top up charge if I really need to.

I used my wife's iPhone 5c for a day. Despite the battery being half the size of the Maxx, it lasted the same for me as the Maxx does. It's terrible how battery wasteful android phones are.

I haven't decided 100% yet - it will depend on whether this year's Moto x has a decent camera and battery. Otherwise there isn't a single current android phone now available that I'd buy right now. The S6 battery is too small, same with the HTC one, the Note 4 and nexus 6 are too big, and I'll never buy another phone from LG again, though I do think the g4 is too plastic for my taste, and the leather backs look terrible to me.

IPhones are not flimsy from the people I know with them. If anything their displays break, but I can go to an apple store and get it repaired or replaced while I wait.

Apple support is just too good compared to everyone else. I know I'll get by if that's what I choose.

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The Maxx has been a great phone, but I too won't be getting another Droid for many reasons. I LOVE Android and am very much immersed in the Google ecosystem, but unfortunately stuck on Verizon. That limits my options but there are still some excellent phones available now and I'm sure more to come this fall.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I still love about the Maxx is the fact that I can be on a phone call and use 4g data at the same time. That feature is especially useful when I need to use mobile hotspot while I'm on a call. This doesn't come up daily or even weekly; but when I need it, I really, really need it.

We're on Verizon, and my wife's iPhone 5s can't do any of this. I know that volte would theoretically solve this problem if I were to switch to an iPhone 6 on Verizon, but I can't stand the idea of losing a call if I'm driving and pass outside of a 4g coverage area, so I haven't enabled volte even on my Maxx.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I still love about the Maxx is the fact that I can be on a phone call and use 4g data at the same time. That feature is especially useful when I need to use mobile hotspot while I'm on a call. This doesn't come up daily or even weekly; but when I need it, I really, really need it.

You may have little choice with your next phone. It seems that's the direction Verizon wants to go - VoLTE only for voice and data, as evidenced by Motorola's latest phones. Even the Galaxy s6. I'm guessing that it won't be long before Verizon will be able to hand off calls to cdma or voip over wifi even.

My phone calls are almost always short and it's very, very rare when I need data access as well, and, if I do, I just say I'll call back and get to a spot where it's not necessary (driving while navigating, for example). But even navigation is coming close to having offline access for short periods, I think. And I think I've hotspot with my phone once since I've had it. If I need to use a hotspot, my iPad is much better anyway - better battery, and I think it holds an LTE signal better than the phone.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You may have little choice with your next phone. It seems that's the direction Verizon wants to go - VoLTE only for voice and data, as evidenced by Motorola's latest phones. Even the Galaxy s6. I'm guessing that it won't be long before Verizon will be able to hand off calls to cdma or voip over wifi even.

Well, that's assuming I stay with Verizon. I'm off contract now. Project Fi is looking pretty interesting...

jammocaz

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat of frustration. The motorola brand is terrible for updates. I was tired of waiting and I switched to a Samsung S5. Bought on craigslist for $150. It has lollipop. One of the reasons I went for the S5 was for the sd card capability. I have a 128gb sd card. I saw that someone was able to use a 200gb sd! I like the S5 because the size is similar to Droid Maxx. Interesting some of the comments about going back to apple. Personally I would not return to an iPhone for personal use. I have an iPhone for work the iPhone 6. Its battery is not as good as the Maxx. I put both devices through the paces and the battery just does not hold up most of the day as the maxx. The downside of the Samsung S5 is the battery as well. Doesn't hold up against the maxi. Perhaps the maxx spoiled us? The benefit of the S5 for me is that the phone has a removable battery. I purchased a spare battery on Amazon for $7 for the S5. Im good to go if needed. The other benefit of the S5 is the ability to store most of the apps on the SD versus on device storage. iPhone is a decent device be hard pressed to find any negatives honestly. Its a personal preference. Me I use it for work and I just find it a bore to use and it may have everything to do with the fact that it is a work phone and I cannot modify it ;-) At any rate I was tired of waiting for Lollipop and jumped to a samsung device on Verizon network. I think the delays are Motorola's issues more than a Verizon issue. Other devices on Verizon has lollipop and has had it for quite some time.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I know that the battery isn't as good. I'm just tired of the Maxx. No updates. No accessories. Persistent wi-fi notification bug. Google spying on me.

Regarding the iPhone being flimsy, everyone I know who has one loves it. And there are advantages when everyone you care about is already using one.
iPhones are very flimsy. My sister said she is on her 3rd iPhone 6. Her phones keep breaking.

Sent from my XT1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan