DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update News

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic192

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Ive heard it may actually be Verizon holding it up. The turbo guys said it probably had to do with AC(Advanced Calling) and how it runs in lollipop. The one question I have though is, could Motorola take the first Gen Moto X lollipop and recode it for the Maxx since I think they both use the X8?. David announced that they want as many people as possible who own the Droid turbo to try the Droid Turbo's Lollipop update just released couple of days ago.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon was not going to update the Maxx before the turbo and moto is not going to before the 2013 X. The turbo now has it, the X is in Verizon carrier testing; when that gets the update, hopefully they will then work on the 2013 Droids.

Steve Blanco

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Heard that Maxx/Mini/Ultra will receive update before August.Hopefully sometime this week because turbo update seems to be going really good and maybe they think Maxx will do a excellent job running Android 5(Lollipop)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Heard that Maxx/Mini/Ultra will receive update before August.Hopefully sometime this week because turbo update seems to be going really good and maybe they think Maxx will do a excellent job running Android 5(Lollipop)

Everyone hears things like this, but they are rarely from sources that are reliable. The droids won't see the update before the older X does, in my opinion. Maybe it will be before August. Hopefully you're right. I'm doubtful that will happen myself.

Jason Orton

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still ammused by the whole situation. Before lollipop (hell its the same with all major updates) you'd get on the boards and all the phone geeks would be drooling at the mouth about how great this update will be. How it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. How your phone will be able to do everything up to being able to make a perfect martini. Then the update is released to the world and it works as well as "hair in a can " spray on hair.

Steve Blanco

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Sucks thoe cause I dropped my droid Maxx and I have a warranty but I'm rooted so its void unless I unroot but I was under the impression that OTA updates will solve the unroot problem but I'm still rooted mabye because it wasnt a whole OS upgrade it was just the small bug fixes update....Owell I heard that RSD lite can unroot but you have to flash a firmware to the devices to wipe it clean and if automatically wipes root. I was also gonna get my bootloader unlock code from Motorola website to flash roms. I have the developer edition of the Droid Maxx but the commands are complicating for me I still a noob when it comes to adb flash commands 😒

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Sucks thoe cause I dropped my droid Maxx and I have a warranty but I'm rooted so its void unless I unroot but I was under the impression that OTA updates will solve the unroot problem but I'm still rooted mabye because it wasnt a whole OS upgrade it was just the small bug fixes update....Owell I heard that RSD lite can unroot but you have to flash a firmware to the devices to wipe it clean and if automatically wipes root. I was also gonna get my bootloader unlock code from Motorola website to flash roms. I have the developer edition of the Droid Maxx but the commands are complicating for me I still a noob when it comes to adb flash commands 😒

Do a search for "house of moto", which will allow you to flash without losing your data.

anon(9533742)

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I went to the iOS darkside in February. I'd been contemplating turning my Moto back on for the last month and due to a mishap with the iPhone, I returned to Android 2 days ago. Hope you enjoy the switch more than I did.

edit: I replied to one of the above posts, before registering, system brought me back to where I left, but dropped the quote, sorry.

Fruban

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Updates for all the motorola phones except this generation and previous generations to the maxx have been slow. KitKat came out VERY quickly for the Maxx. Since Lenovo took over, things have been slow for Droid, but also because 5.0 was very buggy. however, the Moto X and Nexus 6 got updates quickly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Updates for all the motorola phones except this generation and previous generations to the maxx have been slow. KitKat came out VERY quickly for the Maxx. Since Lenovo took over, things have been slow for Droid, but also because 5.0 was very buggy. however, the Moto X and Nexus 6 got updates quickly.

They're getting slower. 5.1 came out in March to aosp, and it still took months to update the new X and G. Now the update for the OG X on AT&T had to be pulled. It's just not looking good for moto updates anymore.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Just to throw another post (bump) into this thread I'd like to add something, that I've mentioned here before. As I check the internet everyday to see if there's any news of Lollipop for the Maxx I see a lot of people saying they're not looking forward to it because they're either worried about bugs OR they're sooooo happy with how well KitKat is working for them.

For me, though, KitKat isn't working out that well. Not with the KitKat update, but with the mini update we got before the last one (so that would be, I think, 4.4.2 maybe) my wifi broke and my reception went to hell. Before that I got great reception everywhere all the time. Now I'm dropping down to 1x on a regular basis on I can't log onto WiFi in a lot of places. Related, I don't know? Perhaps the two antennas use the same chip or code. For example, I can log on at my house, I can log on at Target's free wifi, can't log on at my parent's house, can't log on to the Wireless Access Point I just added on, couldn't log on at the VZW store when I asked them to figure it out.
And what's really strange is that in those problem spots it sees the network, it says "Saved, Secured with WPA/WPA2" (or Saved, Secured with WEP), so I know it knows the network is there. But it won't connect. If I type in the password incorrectly, it won't know it, so I know it's not even getting that far. And, before anyone says it, even turning off all the security, I still can't hop onto the network. I'm really crossing my fingers that Lollipop will fix that because I know I'm not the only person with the issue.

The VZW store has swapped out the Sim card twice, I've done a FDR and I've played with every setting I can think of, but it's getting old. I can deal with not being able to hop on some networks here and there, but I consider myself very lucky that I can get on my home network and wonder how long that'll last. Also, I added that WAP to cover some dead spots in my house and it bugs me that I can't get on to that.

I'm thinking of just throwing in the towel and getting a new phone, but other than that it's a perfectly good phone and I'm, more or less happy with it (though I don't like how the phone/phone book works, but I can deal with that).

I've started a thread on it and I tried what people suggested, however, if anyone has any more suggestions, I'm happy to try them out.

So, that's why I'm looking forward to L. Don't get me wrong, I love the cutting edge, but this is something I quote/unquote need.

Oh, and Windows 10 made it so I can't scroll with my trackpad.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is not a Windows forum, but I had the same trackpad issue after upgrading. Uninstall your trackpad driver in Device Manager, then it should automatically find the right one after you restart. It worked for me anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've done that a few times now, I've done everything I can think of and tried all the suggestions I've found on the internet. All I can do now is hope a Win10 driver is released soon.
(FTR, I'm not asking for help with that here, I was just complaining about it)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw, the radio firmware didn't change with the last small update. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a coincidental hardware failure if you're having issues with both radios and an fdr doesn't fix it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I know that the battery isn't as good. I'm just tired of the Maxx. No updates. No accessories. Persistent wi-fi notification bug. Google spying on me.

Regarding the iPhone being flimsy, everyone I know who has one loves it. And there are advantages when everyone you care about is already using one.

Apple is going to spy on you too, so no help there. The only way to keep your head down even a little would be to buy a windows phone or blackberry. I've kind of taken an I don't care attitude with updates. I like KitKat somewhat better than Lollipop honestly, and I'm fiine with the Maxx being a 4 machine.

I also use an S6 and while it's a great phone, I'd rather use my Maxx. It's just as well made and does all the phone stuff exactly the way I like it. Battery is way better too.

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Every time I see an update to this post I get excited thinking it will be someone posting they're in the soak test.

Posted via Android Central App

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, the radio firmware didn't change with the last small update. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a coincidental hardware failure if you're having issues with both radios and an fdr doesn't fix it.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but it wasn't 4.4.4, it was 4.4.2, I think, that caused the problem. I've read of other people having nearly identical problems as me, not necessarily tied to the update, but still same problem(s).

Either way, I'm still holding out hope that 5/L will fix it. If it was a coincidence, it was really coincidental, I mean, it happened that day.
I know Lollipop really is due out any day (read: sometime in the next 6 months) for the Maxx, but I'm starting to think about upgrading to the Turbo, it's only $99. Of course, with the Turbo at $99, it means there's something new and shiny around the corner...OTOH, I always buy the new phone (got both the Droid and the Maxx the day they came out) and I always seem to get burned.

Luckily, it's just an annoyance, I can live with it, it just bothers me that it's not working the way it should be. I hate waiting to pick up my kid from school and having to wait minutes to for a website to load (try buying/selling stocks with that kind of lag). Try fixing dead spots in your house with a WAP only to find out your phone can see it but won't connect to it. It's getting old.

And just to be clear I've done an FDR and I tried unstalling the flashlight app, both common fixes/recommendations for this problem.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it makes a difference, but it wasn't 4.4.4, it was 4.4.2, I think, that caused the problem. I've read of other people having nearly identical problems as me, not necessarily tied to the update, but still same problem(s).

The Maxx never had 4.4.2. It was released with 4.2.2 (jellybean), went to 4.4, then 4.4.4 last July.

but I'm starting to think about upgrading to the Turbo, it's only $99. Of course, with the Turbo at $99, it means there's something new and shiny around the corner...OTOH, I always buy the new phone (got both the Droid and the Maxx the day they came out) and I always seem to get burned.

Take a look at the turbo forums and search for wifi problems. Some people have issues with wifi that they never had with the Maxx.

If you can live with it, it might be smarter to wait for the new Moto X pure edition next month, if you can deal with the size, as it will be getting updates directly from motorola without going through Verizon. (Verizon won't be selling it right away so no edge plan for it, though, probably.)

Luckily, it's just an annoyance, I can live with it, it just bothers me that it's not working the way it should be. I hate waiting to pick up my kid from school and having to wait minutes to for a website to load (try buying/selling stocks with that kind of lag). Try fixing dead spots in your house with a WAP only to find out your phone can see it but won't connect to it. It's getting old.

And just to be clear I've done an FDR and I tried unstalling the flashlight app, both common fixes/recommendations for this problem.

Well, one idea (if you have a shared data family plan) is to add a Verizon mifi type device to your plan so you'll always have WiFi.

Also, have you tried changing some of the settings on settings / wifi, tap the menu control bottom right, and tap advanced? Things like setting avoid poor connections off, turning frequency band to 2.4 ghz (or 5,if you're using that?)

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The mifi plan is a micocell, right? That would sort of defeat the purpose of trying to get wifi to work. I mean, when I'm in a dead spot in my house, it just hops on to 4g anyways (even if I have to turn off wifi if it's being annoying) and when I'm in a place with shoddy 4g coverage (where it used to be good), a microcell wouldn't help anyways.

As for the various wifi settings, I think I've tried every setting I can think off, on the phone and on the router. I checked the 2.4/g ghz, it's set to Auto

As for the updates, I'm sure I'm wrong on the numbers, I just know it worked for a while, then there was a miniupdate and I that's when I started having all the problems. It was more than a year after I got the phone because I couldn't get it swapped out under warranty at that point (and some of the VZW guys were really rude to me about it too).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
A mifi is a portable wifi device, like the verizon jetpack. Couldn't think of the name before.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....verizon.com/internet-devices/&token=U1GwOTio

Usually they get better mobile data than a phone. I could be wrong about that - I've never used it.

The last update was a minor update that fixed a rare bug with emergency dialing from the boot up screen of an encrypted phone. Those phones could hear a dispatcher but could not be heard.

See https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/105254

It was still 4.4.4. It was very small, and, like I said, the radio firmware was not updated, so it should have had no effect on wifi, Bluetooth, or mobile networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.