Watch ESPN

deray21

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have Directv and just now was able to get it. I emailed ESPN and they said my phone probably wasn't compatible. Still doesn't make sense because I know other Motorola phones older than this one that can use it. So it's not the brand or Verizon. It just seems odd and it's frustrating since I waited so long to be able to use the app.

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just posting to verify that I tried and it also doesn't work on my phone. I suspect it's an app problem, not a phone problem.

deray21

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I hope you're right. I already have been emailing ESPN technical people about the problem. Verizon also to see if there is anything that can be done besides get another phone. Halfway kidding about getting a newer phone.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a new problem because during the college football season I used it to watch some of the games live on my Maxx.

bs5283

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I just watched the watch ESPN app today at work on my maxx worked great. Although I also used the xfinity app as well

Posted via the Android Central App

deray21

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping it's a DirecTV issue since we just got the ability to use the app. Nobody on the tech side with ESPN, DirecTV or Verizon has been able to help yet.

zcap

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping it's a DirecTV issue since we just got the ability to use the app. Nobody on the tech side with ESPN, DirecTV or Verizon has been able to help yet.

The droid maxx "is no longer a supported device" according to "Beth" with ESPN customer care.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a new problem because during the college football season I used it to watch some of the games live on my Maxx.

I watched some college football on the Maxx using watchESPN as well and have noticed it no longer seems to work. I've tried using an xfinity account and a dish account with no luck.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The droid maxx "is no longer a supported device" according to "Beth" with ESPN customer care.

This is ridiculous. Why would the Maxx suddenly not be supported? I'd like to try to get more info on this. If anybody else finds out something please post it here.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Found a solution on another AC thread. Download the APK for the previous version (2.3.1) and sideload it. You'll have to go into the security settings and enable "unknown sources." Just click the downloaded file and it will ask you to install.

I found the file on a website called apk4fun. If you do a Google search for watchESPN 2.3.1 find the one from the apk4fun website. A lot of them looked suspicious (potential malware), but I took the risk and installed the one from apk4fun. I can confirm it works and so far I've seen no ill side effects on my phone.

After doing this you'll also want to disable auto updating for the app. Go to the play store and go to my apps. Click on the watchESPN app, then click the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner. Click the check box for auto update to uncheck it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After doing this you'll also want to disable auto updating for the app. Go to the play store and go to my apps. Click on the watchESPN app, then click the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner. Click the check box for auto update to uncheck it.

You also may want to disable side loading. Once the app is side loaded you don't have to keep that option open.

ktabel01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for this fix! The January update killed this app for me. Sideloading did the job. Will not be updating this app in the future

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I reverted WatchESPN to 2.3.1. It is working now. But how do you side load it?

Side loading requires two things. First, settings / Security & screen lock / turn on "unknown sources".

Second, after downloading the app to your phone, you tap it. It may be that the downloads from the app drawer works, but I always use a file Explorer app like astro or ES file Explorer. Tap the .apk file and it will wall through installing the app.

djb6

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Super old thread I know, but just so everyone knows this as well, I ran into the same issue on my Nexus 6P, had to hunt around for watchESPN 2.3.1, sideloaded it, and it works great now. Thanks for the idea to try this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech