Won't download OTA

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So I was having a battery issue with my phone and got a replacement from Motorola. Luckily it came with the original software. Thought great I can get it to 4.4 then use the towelpieroot to get root access. Unfortunately I can't get it to update. I get a message that says turn on wifi to resume download even if wifi is on and connected. I tried connecting to my pc and using the moto program to push the update, but that says update already in progress. I tried rebooting the phone a few times and wifi off/on and nothing. I tried to wipe cache only to find out that doesn't work either. Every time I select to wipe it goes to the screen to start wiping then immediately boots like normal. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. Thought I remember reading a forum about this a while back, but can't find it. I really don't want to reset the phone so if nothing works I'll just deal with the old software

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd contact Motorola and tell them the replacement phone you got is defective. You should be able to wipe the cache partition from the Recovery Menu--if that isn't working correctly, I'd wonder if there's something fundamentally glitchy in the system.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. Was hoping there might be another option. Just got the phone 4 days ago and really don't feel like setting up the phone all over again lol

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you get a replacement you'll be setting everything up again anyway.... So maybe try a reset, do the update right away (rather than take the time to set it up again) and then ask for a replacement if it's still not working.

That said, odds are a replacement will be 4.4.4 and unrootable.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This was a replacement and it was on original software. Plus if i get phone from them i can use Moto migrate to save everything as far as messages and all. Reset loses everything. Thanks for the responses though

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Do a search for house of moto. It can flash firmware while keeping your existing data. I wonder if you have a phone that was already rooted once?

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This was a replacement and it was on original software. Plus if i get phone from them i can use Moto migrate to save everything as far as messages and all. Reset loses everything. Thanks for the responses though

Sunshine will unlock your bootloader, and make rooting easy, while House of Moto will do just as doogald said.