Why is my Droid Maxx rebooting itself?

A

AC Question

Why is my Droid Maxx rebooting itself

My droid maxx is less than 6 months old. And in the last 4 days it has been intermittently rebooting itself. I have erased the cache, and it continues to do it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is my Droid Maxx rebooting itself

Hi. It could be a problem with the power button. Have you tried banging it on a table on the power button side?

mral300

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine for 15 months and it just started to reboot itself a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why but I am glad to find that it's not just me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep, thus happens occasionally. I think it's caused by third party apps that have a memory leak.

One solution is to restart the phone occasionally, before it has a chance to restart. It could be that an app has some corrupted data. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling some apps to see if that helps.

One other weird solution: try settings / apps, slide to all, open Motocare, tap force stop and clear data (when the figures are down computing, which cab take a while.) I do this occasionally when I restart the phone because the app actually makes my list in settings / battery sometimes and the data use seems to climb and climb, and I'm not convinced I want Motorola tracking me anyway.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

Does the screen freeze before it restarts? Mine does. Driving me crazy, no solutions!

Posted via the Android Central App

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Does the screen freeze before it restarts? Mine does. Driving me crazy, no solutions!

Yep, I've been getting this same behavior recently. I tried an FDR last weekend. It seemed to help initially, but after just a couple of days I started getting the screen freezing followed by a restart behavior again. Aarrgghh....

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yes, screen is unresponsive for a few seconds, then Android restarts. By the way, the whole phone isn't rebooting - I have encrypted my phone, and a cold boot requires unlocking the phone as a first step, and these spontaneous restarts don't ask for the PIN to unlock the encryption. Basically, it's Android itself crashing and restarting.

I restart my phone at least once a week and it hasn't happened in a while.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I had been using 3G and the Maxx would shut down whenever it lost a signal for an extended period of time, like in the subway. Switched it to 4G and, touch wood, no more issues.

avsrock78

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Here's an added bonus question.

My Droid Maxx was restarting about once a week for the last month or two until yesterday afternoon when it just started rebooting, sitting for about 30 seconds and rebooting again. I tried the safe mode and it did not help, however I was able to just put the phone in Airplane mode and it has stopped rebooting completely. WTF?!

I tested the phone off airplane mode and BAM, back to rebooting.

Any ideas?

My build:
System Version: 24.13.2.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 4.4.4
Baseband: MSM8960PRO_BP_23255.132.81.00R
Kernel: 3.4.42-GDB5A4C6
Build Date: 4/30/15

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You have an app with corrupted data that only runs when there is a network connection. It's could be something like calendar storage or Gmail or contacts storage - something that syncs all of the time maybe. (I don't know what it is.)

You can look in settings / Google and see if your account (or one of your accounts) is reporting a sync error. Otherwise, I have to be honest, probably the best solution is to back up all of your photos, go into any app that offers backup and restore to storage and do so, and go through a factory data reset and set up the phone again. I think you can connect to a computer and copy storage on airplane mode. That sounds like the best plan to me.

avsrock78

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, not seeing any issues in the sync's under my Google account.

I'll try the hard factory reset if I can get all my stuff off my phone. I have a few apps that have data that I'm not sure will allow me to backup, so I'll have to fitz around with it for awhile.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The only other thing I can think of is to uninstall and then reinstall some apps, in bunches of a few at a time, to see if you can find the one that's causing the issue. But, then you'll lose data in the apps anyway.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone is doing the EXACT same thing, avs. What you are describing is precisely what happened to me. It started yesterday right before 5pm. If my phone is in Airplane Mode, it's fine. I can turn on Bluetooth and NFC and the phone is fine. As soon as WiFi or mobile data is turned on (or if Airplane Mode is disabled), the phone reboots.

My system build is identical to yours, too.

I've not installed any new apps recently, nor have I had any updates in the past couple days.

So frustrating. But it appears we are in the same boat.

Gerbust

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Mine Too! Its completely fine in airplane mode, but soon as I allow data or connect to Wifi, it does a partial reset. It doesnt go all the way dead, but it crashes!

avsrock78

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Well I backed up as much data as I could and performed a hard factory reset. So far the phone is functional, however it is currently re-downloading all the apps I had previously loaded. Guess we'll see what happens when finished.

Wallace, mine started restarting around 3pm MDT, which if you were on the East Coast would have been the same time.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
There has to an app we all have in common that is causing this.

I have so many apps I don't even know where to start. Argh.

Federico de Alvear

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Since yesterday 21/09/2015 my phone (Droid Maxx) began to restart itself without stopping , only when I turned off the wiffi worked right, I was solved only when you turn off the automatic sync of wiffi .
I could and performed a hard factory reset, but the problem persist
Why ? I have no third-party app installed and have the updated Android 4.4.4
anybody can help?

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, my Maxx has stopped endlessly rebooting.

I did nothing to fix this, honestly.

Since yesterday, I have had the radios (WiFi and mobile data) turned off. The phone was fine like this. Today, I made a few phone calls (which worked fine) and that was it. I turned on WiFi only to see what would happen, and the phone didn't reboot. I went to the Play Store and I now have a new version of the app (5.9.12). I updated a few apps without incident.

Since then, I have re-enabled mobile data and all appears well.

The phone is a bit stuttery, but I assume that's because I cleared the cache partition yesterday.

Maybe a borked Google services update or something? I've no clue.

Federico de Alvear

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
yes i detect the problem when are active the Auto Sync (in WiFi and mobile data) for check the gmail emails automatic. I turn off the auto sync and The phone was fine like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000