Moving on from the Maxx

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Grabbed a Moto Nexus 6 64gb in white for $259 on Amazon's Black Friday sales. I'd been eyeballing the Nexus 6P and Droid Turbo2, but for the price, the Moto Nexus 6 easily won. I'd hoped for a fingerprint scanner on whatever new phone I got, but again, for the price I can't complain.

I'll be keeping my Droid Maxx as a backup phone. Maybe I'll find some fun side service it can perform for me, like PocketMine (Minecraft PE server app) if they ever update it for the newer versions of Minecraft PE. It's been a very good phone, but has started getting laggy, and I look forward to some of the features newer Android software will allow for, as well as hardware with double the benchmark score.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I seriously considered the nexus 6. Ultimately I found a strong battery too big of a feature to give up. I went with DT2. With a crappy phone trade in it was $124 after the black Friday/upgrade promotions.

Enjoy those fast OTA's!!

Posted via the Android Central App

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
If you had a Maxx and I assume you were a Verizon customer, how were you able to get $500 off a DT2? I had the impression that was only for new customers, especially with the "switch" language.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
There was a black Friday deal on the dt2. It was like this:

$200 off promotion
$200 trade in (it's 300 for new customers)
$100 upgrade promotion with payment plan

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
There was a black Friday deal on the dt2. It was like this:

$200 off promotion
$200 trade in (it's 300 for new customers)
$100 upgrade promotion with payment plan

Ok. I'm assuming you don't have an unlimited data plan then. Those deals wouldn't go into effect for us until the end of our current billing cycle which hasn't come for most of us. These deals will have all expired by then except maybe the $100 upgrade one. I'm sure verizon planned that all out to stick it to us unlimited customers. They want us to go away.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I'm assuming you don't have an unlimited data plan then. Those deals wouldn't go into effect for us until the end of our current billing cycle which hasn't come for most of us. These deals will have all expired by then except maybe the $100 upgrade one. I'm sure verizon planned that all out to stick it to us unlimited customers. They want to go away.

I do not. Even when I was unlimited I rarely used more than 4gb. I'm on WiFi most of the time anyhow - better speeds and battery life on phone.

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I do not. Even when I was unlimited I rarely used more than 4gb. I'm on WiFi most of the time anyhow - better speeds and battery life on phone.

For me, it's a whole different situation. I often stream news sites like Fox news or Cnn from my U-verse app and generally run about 20gb per billing cycle. Even more during heavy news cycles like the recent CA terrorist attack. My company wifi is locked down, so that's not an option either. I prefer to have my LTE available and unlimited wherever I am and not needing to fall back on wifi, which is often much slower than LTE.

fuddster

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I also moved on from the Maxx. While upgrading my wife's phone in the Verizon store over BF weekend, I discovered that Big Red had given me an early upgrade (I wasn't due until February). I wound up getting a 64 GB Turbo 2 with the Moto Maker option. It just got delivered the other day, and aside from an activation glitch, I've been enjoying my new toy. I used my old Droid 4 for the trade in, and am keeping the Maxx for now.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I also moved on from the Maxx. While upgrading my wife's phone in the Verizon store over BF weekend, I discovered that Big Red had given me an early upgrade (I wasn't due until February). I wound up getting a 64 GB Turbo 2 with the Moto Maker option. It just got delivered the other day, and aside from an activation glitch, I've been enjoying my new toy. I used my old Droid 4 for the trade in, and am keeping the Maxx for now.

I went from the Maxx to the turbo 2 as well. It's awesome! My only complaint is, I think, it has a very weak vibrate. The battery isn't lasting as long as i would like, but I'm assuming it will get a little better with time. I still get through the day. I would recommend the flexible glass screen protector and the incipio case from Verizon.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it's much of a downgrade either...

Well, it might qualify as an upgrade if it were available with anything other than 16gb of storage. In fact, it might be the perfect phone if you could get a 32gb or 64gb version. But as it is, it's useless.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it might qualify as an upgrade if it were available with anything other than 16gb of storage. In fact, it might be the perfect phone if you could get a 32gb or 64gb version. But as it is, it's useless.

Oh yeah, and no Qi charging. Useless.

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the turbo 2 as well. It's awesome! My only complaint is, I think, it has a very weak vibrate. The battery isn't lasting as long as i would like, but I'm assuming it will get a little better with time. I still get through the day. I would recommend the flexible glass screen protector and the incipio case from Verizon.

This is becoming redundant...I too am moving on to the Turbo 2. It should arrive this coming Tuesday. The packaging for the $200 trade-in is also on the way. The Maxx was a great device, but it's time to move on. My battery was barely making it through early afternoon and this Lollipop business did not help matters. Plus, I got a great deal that rivaled the Black Friday deal.

I'm not counting on Verizon/Motorola improving their update schedule, but who knows? I'm hearing rumors of a soak test. Could it be??? .....here we go again.....sucker!!!

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I too have finally moved on from the Maxx. I've spent weeks researching alternatives, only to find that my ideal phone simply doesn't exist, but I couldn't take the random restarts any longer. It was getting to the point where this was happening 3-4 times a day and really interfering with my ability to get things done.

At some point I read an AC post making the point that the poster had never owned a phone with the latest Android OS. I'm pretty much in the same boat, and I'm tired of it. I was a happy owner of both the Razr Maxx and the Droid Maxx, but I'm just sick of not having regular updates, especially as security becomes more and more of an issue.

So, I ordered a Nexus 6p on Tuesday night last week, and it arrived on Christmas Eve. So far so great. The specs of the Droid Turbo 2 are pretty close to the Nexus 6p, but if I had gone with the Turbo 2 I'd be stuck wondering when/if Verizon would push the Marshmallow update, and then after that I would be obsessing over the question of whether Verizon would ever update the phone to the next version of the OS after Marshmallow, which, let's face it, probably won't happen. That's nuts. Now that the carriers aren't subsidizing phones, it just doesn't make sense to stay locked into a Verizon-only Android phone. The 6p is a completely beautiful phone in both its build quality and its functionality. The 6p stands toe-to-toe with the iPhone 6s Plus, and that pleases me.

I just wish the 6p had wireless charging and Active Display. Then it would be perfect. USB Type-C charging is at least better than that stupid Micro-USB plug that needs to be positioned just so, but I do miss my wireless charging cradle. If the 6p would have needed to be as big & bulky as the Nexus 6 in order to have wireless charging, then I'm happy that they chose NOT to include it. As for Active Display, well, the ambient display of the 6p is simply not as responsive or intuitive. The 6p's finger-print sensor is just great, and it makes waking the phone and getting right to business fast & easy, but Motorola's Active Display is, IMHO, the best mod to Android that any manufacturer has created.