Droid Mini - T-Mobile

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Like the older razor m do you think I can get the new mini unlocked to work on T-Mobile?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

jjfad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It will be exclusive to Verizon so it will most likely be CDMA. Even if it is a worldphone it will not activate on local GSM.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just read on droid life that they trimmed up a SIM from att and it worked in the droid ultra. Can anyone try this with a T-Mobile SIM

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey anthony - replying from the other thread. It didn't realize I'd need to chop up the SIM until I tried swapping in my friend's tmo card to test..haha. Suffice to say, he's not too keen on me puting his sim under the knife. I remember I do have an old t-mo prepaid SIM somewhere..if I find it I'll chop it down and give it a go. If I had to guess, I would bet that the Mini picks up tmo just fine - it has the requisite frequency support for their new PCS HSPA/HSDPA as well as their AWS LTE (verizon's rolling out LTE on AWS as well now) so unless VZW decided to block them, I would think this could be a full-featured phone on their network.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, where have you read this? I didn't have much luck with the Razr M as far as reception goes, and I was hoping the Droid Mini might be better.

Since the RAZR M utilized the S4 Plus MSM8960 and the Droid lineup utilizes the MSM8960DT, it's very likely that the radios are the same. The baseband, however, is obviously different (see supported bands), not to mention the antenna configuration. Anticipating reception quality based on the radio alone is well..wrong.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So then maybe all we'd need to do is use r*dio-c*mm software(not sure if that is one of the names we cant say on here) same as the RAZR M radio edit

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, where have you read this? I didn't have much luck with the Razr M as far as reception goes, and I was hoping the Droid Mini might be better.

Sorry I should have worded that better. They probably don't share the same radio software. But the radio frequencies are the same as each other. Meaning they are both capable of receiving shared GMS frequencies that other providers utilize. This has nothing to do with cell reception to say, not ("more bars in more places?)

@brianbrian. Yeah I kinda forgot that it uses a micro SIM like the iPhone 5. Let me know either way. Thanks.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Anthony - Just tested my prepaid tmo SIM (had to cut it down, btw, so I'm hoping that didn't affect my results).

The SIM comes up "emergency calls only" and a full screen alert notifies me that a "sim card has been inserted from an unknown source". Something then informed me that my phone was being "locked down".

So it appears Verizon may have something in place to make it even more difficult to pop new SIM cards in when traveling..awesome..either that or I ruined the TMO sim..haha.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Anthony - Just tested my prepaid tmo SIM (had to cut it down, btw, so I'm hoping that didn't affect my results).

The SIM comes up "emergency calls only" and a full screen alert notifies me that a "sim card has been inserted from an unknown source". Something then informed me that my phone was being "locked down".

So it appears Verizon may have something in place to make it even more difficult to pop new SIM cards in when traveling..awesome..either that or I ruined the TMO sim..haha.

Thanks for the assistance. Is your phone running normally after u put the Verizon SIM back in? The way u described it sounds like you were hacking into the NSA. Haha.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I had to re-enter my gmail account settings afterwards, but other than that it was back to normal...I'm sure they're going to tout this as some kind if anti-theft feature, but we all know the real reasoning..hah.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 4

ksalado87

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
can someone help me, brand new to this site and want to ask a question. how do i do that? all i figured out was how to reply to stuff, thanks

Visser Labs

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This notice comes up when you insert a U.S. based non-Verizon SIM in the device. This restriction is set by Verizon and is limited to U.S. carriers only, if you insert a non-U.S. SIM abroad it will work as expected (assuming you have unlocked your device prior...). What I am eager to know is whether I can insert a 3G or 4G LTE SIM from here in Denmark and still get a functioning phone (voice, data, etc.) or if the radio and/or baseband will work in European and Australian 3G/4G LTE regions. This is holding me back from puchasing one from an eBay seller/freight forwarder.

GnatGoSplat

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't usually necro old threads, but this is one of the first hits that comes back when searching for this info on Google.
The Droid Mini is GSM unlocked. I popped in a genuine T-Mobile Nano SIM (not cut) and it worked immediately. It does say "Unknown SIM", but you can get rid of that popup by freezing com.motorola.setupwizard.phoneservice (may need to be rooted to freeze apps).

APN needs to be added manually, but data works after that.

Mrniceguy633

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I actually PM'd gnatgosplat, but not sure if it went through. So I tried putting in my old sim in the Droid Mini and all seemed to work except calls and mms. It shows that I'm connected to Tmobile LTE. I can't seem to add or edit any APNs as it is completely blank. Any ideas or apps that'll set up apns for you? Any help would be great

Mrniceguy633

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok just for future reference I was able to get it working on tmobile. LTE does not work for Tmobile as far as network/mms, but data does. Setting network mode to LTE/GSM/UTMS and then setting "select network" to UMTS(hspda+ only) works for everything even without an APN listed

GnatGoSplat

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Glad you got it working!
I am in a non-refarmed area so I already knew it wouldn't work with anything faster than EDGE. For EDGE, I just left it on global (default) and I did have to add an APN before it would get data.

Mrniceguy633

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. And thanks for replying to my PM, I appreciate it. Yea it's weird, when I put it on global mode(in an area that has edge, h+ and LTE) it will soley try to do everything in LTE. And won't let me add any APNs. And because I guess it is not compatible with Tmobiles LTE calls and messaging will not work. That's just my guess anyway. I'm glad h+ at least works, it's more than fast enough for my needs. I'm one of the few that are not happy with how big the phones are getting. This droid mini is perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol