Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigmatt503
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Removing/moving google bar from home screen

Hi there,

Just picked up a droid mini and love it! I wanted a new phone without the huge size of most new ones. I moved from an HTC Incredible 2 and found it to be a smooth transition. However, the google bar across the top of the screen is driving me crazy. Has anyone figured out how to move it or get rid of it? I have everything set how I like it except that one huge annoyance.

Thanks!

Default Re: Removing/moving google bar from home screen

Welcome to the forums.

After some quick research (I don't have that phone) it appears it's not a widget on that phone, so you have to **sigh** go into settings->apps->all and disable google search, which will remove it from the screen (it won't free up the real-estate though, but it won't show on the screen). But that would disable Google Search and Now and stuff....

I wish I knew more about the phone. I would imagine switching to a different launcher like Apex or Nova would also get rid of it without having to disable Search (and give you your screen real-estate back). That's my assumption anyways.

I know on Nova launcher it will let you get rid of the search bar up top

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk 4
    rkeenan likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Smile Re: Removing/moving google bar from home screen

Unfortunately that didn't work. It just removed the "google search" icon from my apps. It also removed the word "google" from the bar, but the white bar is still there...weird. Thanks though!

I don't really care about loosing the google search voice controls and such, I hate talking to electronics. I just want my screen to be clean and minimalist.

I had the same question (I own a MAXX). You need to use another launcher if you don't want the Google search bar. The phone is pretty much stock and the Google search bar can't be removed in the stock launcher. Just download Nova or another launcher of your preference to remove the bar or keep your stock launcher with the bar.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX