What happens when the OTA GB update comes out...

clarinethero214

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm usually good with tech stuff, but I just got a Droid Pro the other day. I manually updated the OS to GB since there's still no OTA update available. I have a question though, and I'm sorry if it's silly. When the OTA download comes out for GB for the Droid Pro, should I be trying to obtain that update and install it on my Droid Pro? I don't know if, in the timespan between the June release of the manual update and the whenever release of the OTA download, a few bugs would be fixed or not. If so, how would I do this? Would I try to manually download THAT update over my current GB OS? I'm not even sure if that'd work. Would I try to manually install Froyo and downgrade my OS to upgrade it once more via OTA download? I'm not sure if I can go backwards either. I'm not having any problems with the manual GB, but I'm just curious as to if it'd be safe or wise to try to obtain the OTA download over the manual one in case any improvements of some sort were made. Thanks for the help! I don't care about being rooted by the way, so that's not something to worry about.

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm usually good with tech stuff, but I just got a Droid Pro the other day. I manually updated the OS to GB since there's still no OTA update available. I have a question though, and I'm sorry if it's silly. When the OTA download comes out for GB for the Droid Pro, should I be trying to obtain that update and install it on my Droid Pro? I don't know if, in the timespan between the June release of the manual update and the whenever release of the OTA download, a few bugs would be fixed or not. If so, how would I do this? Would I try to manually download THAT update over my current GB OS? I'm not even sure if that'd work. Would I try to manually install Froyo and downgrade my OS to upgrade it once more via OTA download? I'm not sure if I can go backwards either. I'm not having any problems with the manual GB, but I'm just curious as to if it'd be safe or wise to try to obtain the OTA download over the manual one in case any improvements of some sort were made. Thanks for the help! I don't care about being rooted by the way, so that's not something to worry about.
nothing will happen...your phone has GB and will not be looking to obtain in...nor can you search for it...when you manually search for a new update it will say you are up to date.

jaydee311

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
nothing will happen...your phone has GB and will not be looking to obtain in...nor can you search for it...when you manually search for a new update it will say you are up to date.

Incorrect. It's highly possible that the ota build release will include revisions to the June release. And yes, you will be able to easily update through your system settings normally. (Settings > About Phone > System Updates)

clarinethero214

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that information as well. Yeah, I was thinking that there might be some revisions since the June release. 2 months is a long time to have the same software without changing it one bit. If we can update to it, that'd be nice. I guess time shall tell. If they ever release it OTA...

bigj1985

May 11, 2011
Visit site
how did u get GB on ur pro ? my wife has that phone and ive been looking to update hers.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that the upgrade path to the "new" GB might not install over the "old" GB (ie would have to go from Froyo to "new" GB).

If that's the case, you just simply SBF from the leaked GB back to Froyo, then install the new GB OTA. I did this several times on my old DX with no issues whatsoever.

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that the upgrade path to the "new" GB might not install over the "old" GB (ie would have to go from Froyo to "new" GB).

If that's the case, you just simply SBF from the leaked GB back to Froyo, then install the new GB OTA. I did this several times on my old DX with no issues whatsoever.
That is exactly what you have to do according to Moto. I had to do that (sbf back to 2.26 and apply the two updates) before I could download and install the Verizon update to Gingerbread 2.3.3 that is in the process of being pushed out.