Why No Love for Front QWERTY Phones?

GenTsoChicken

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of Android powered front facing QWERTY phone and the support it gets?

As a previous Blackberry owner and a current Android bar owner I certainly miss a physical keyboard. I can?t type for s*** on a virtual keyboard. Maybe a sliding keyboard would be better but I rather not. It seems that Motorola is the only OEM making this type of phone. If only there was a Bold 9900 quality type Android phone. I?d be there in a second.

I know there?s a market for it. Tons of Blackberry users are clinging to their BB just because of their physical keyboard.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i agree 100% with you, which is a big reason why I sold my Droid Pro and went with Galaxy Nexus. There is hardly any support for it. I can't blame anyone really since it is not a popular phone, I doubt a developer would spend time making a ROM for it. But it sucks cause that phone with CM7 would have been very smooth.

I also agree with you on typing, which is why I left my Incredible for the Droid Pro. But I have to admit, typing on the Nexus is pretty nice. Might be because of the bigger screen and better auto correct functionality. I actually don't mind it anymore on a touch screen.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of virtual keyboards either and the BB's keyboards were one of the best things about the phones. The more I use a smartphone the more I realize I'm using email and sending texts 90% of the time. And that makes a keyboard very important to me. Everybody wants a giant screen too which brings up another thing I like about the Pro, it's size and form factor. Some of the other Android phones are just too big for me.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
i agree 100% with you, which is a big reason why I sold my Droid Pro and went with Galaxy Nexus. There is hardly any support for it. I can't blame anyone really since it is not a popular phone, I doubt a developer would spend time making a ROM for it. But it sucks cause that phone with CM7 would have been very smooth.

I also agree with you on typing, which is why I left my Incredible for the Droid Pro. But I have to admit, typing on the Nexus is pretty nice. Might be because of the bigger screen and better auto correct functionality. I actually don't mind it anymore on a touch screen.

I feel the same way. I had a Droid X, which I loved, and Swype was a great replacement for a hard-keyboard. Currently using SwiftKey X on the Galaxy Nexus, and it's good until Swype releases a GN version.

If they release a front, portrait keyboard phone that it at least on par with current phones or better, I'd strongly consider it. I'm not fond of landscape keyboards (e.g. Droid 3).

Couck#WN

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I am right there with u as well. I am a former Palm Treo lover! I still miss the way that phone felt in my hand and typed.

If an android phone came out that was a lil bigger than the droid pro, had decent specs and not a mini battery. I would be all over it. I do love my incredible but I can only imagine that with a smaller screen that battery life should be better. But that's just my ignorant mind hoping for something ill never have

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

pcpilot309

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from the original Droid to the DROID Pro. I love the qwerty keyboard compared to the heavy slide out of the original Droid. I got 2 Pro's free, and have since learned they are discontinued. Hoping mine will be problem free. :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
and have since learned they are discontinued. Hoping mine will be problem free. :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Oh no, my wife's has been acting up lately. And she likes it. Hope they still have some refurbished for when I call and ask for a replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
She will press some buttons and the calendar will pop up.. or camera, or some other app while she types. A simple restart fixes it. Sometimes She will do her unlocking pattern and it will freeze up on her. I've told her I will need to do a hard reset. But she is now bugging me to get her a new phone. But she wants a similar phone. Haha. There isn't. :-( on Verizon that is

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of Android powered front facing QWERTY phone and the support it gets?

As a previous Blackberry owner and a current Android bar owner I certainly miss a physical keyboard. I can?t type for s*** on a virtual keyboard. Maybe a sliding keyboard would be better but I rather not. It seems that Motorola is the only OEM making this type of phone. If only there was a Bold 9900 quality type Android phone. I?d be there in a second.

I know there?s a market for it. Tons of Blackberry users are clinging to their BB just because of their physical keyboard.

I am with you. I used to have a Blackberry and enjoyed it's keyboard. Quick, precise and always reliable! I tried a Droid Pro, but after some time with it, I noticed a few factors with the keyboard:

1. Form & size: It was styled after the Bold series, but unfortunately, it can feel a bit cramped. I just could not type as fast as I could on my previous Blackberry.

2. Sensitivity: It may just be the model I had, but over time, the key sensitivity became poor. For instance, if I typed "the red fox", it would show as "the red fox". But after some months, the sensitivity of the keys changed, so when i typed "the red fox" it would become "ttthe rrred fooox". On my previous Blackberry, the key sensitivity of the phone always stayed constant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed