Droid Pro Forum Member Initial Thoughts and Reviews

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Played with it again while my car was being fixed. This phone is trash.....period. I just can't say how bad it is.....wait, yes I can. It's really bad compared to the other choices.

Do yourself a favor before buying, play with it at the store. You won't come home with it. Trust me.

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Played with it again while my car was being fixed. This phone is trash.....period. I just can't say how bad it is.....wait, yes I can. It's really bad compared to the other choices.

Do yourself a favor before buying, play with it at the store. You won't come home with it. Trust me.

Can you specify what makes it so terrible? I would appreciate your take on it and what aspects made it terrible to use. Thanks.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
What's everyone's experience with the DP's earpiece and reception. Usually these are Motorola's strongpoints but I've read worrisome reports about call quality on this device.

jb20

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What's everyone's experience with the DP's earpiece and reception. Usually these are Motorola's strongpoints but I've read worrisome reports about call quality on this device.

The volumne on the ear piece is loud. The Droid X controls background noise much better. In comparison to the blackberry devices that I have had (9550-9650) it has been much better . No complaints on the receiving end.

I have the X as well but I have been missing the smaller form factor in addition to a keybord.Multi media devices are great but I came to realize I use the device foremost as a comminication device and the DP while giving the goodies that android has to offer :D.meets. As far as the battery is concerned no major issues thus far. As long as you have the device set up with the correct settings you should be fine!

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you specify what makes it so terrible? I would appreciate your take on it and what aspects made it terrible to use. Thanks.

1: The keyboard is average at best.
2: Call quality is average at best but not bad by any means.
3: Battery life is horrid.
4: The display is really bland compared to other androids.
5: GPS is not spot on.

Just to be clear on my impressions of the phone. For being a 99 dollor phone( at Best Buy), this phone is very good for the price. It's just not a glamerous phone compared to an X or Fasinate. At the end of the day, it's your call on what you need and what you think is important. And yes, I am showing more love for the phone today then I did yesterday or the day before. Since I have an X, I have no need or desire to go to a phone like this. If I just didn't care about the fluff, I would go with this phone in a heartbeat because it does the basics as good as the other phones. If price, call quality, good browsing/ decent camera/camcorder/decent signal is all that you care for, then go for a phone like this. You can't beat the price.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
. Since I have an X, I have no need or desire to go to a phone like this. If I just didn't care about the fluff, I would go with this phone in a heartbeat because it does the basics as good as the other phones. If price, call quality, good browsing/ decent camera/camcorder/decent signal is all that you care for, then go for a phone like this. You can't beat the price.

Tough call on trading off on the screen to gain the physical keyboard.I'm sure typing on the X's 4.3" screen helps alot though. BTW fernie, did you used to have a Nokia 6256i on Verizon? :D

jimpilot

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Love it

I am a hevy business user coming from a BB 9650.

I love this phone. The key board works as well as the 9650 did for me and I am loving all the stuff android has vs the blackberry.

My company doesn't allow active sync so I am using touchdown without any problems, it gives me all I need (email and calandar).

It's not as good at multi media etc. as the other droids I assume, but for me it is a business tool that gives me business and more.

flash24

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Long time BB user here...I gave this device a shot and I am very happy with my decision. Keyboard is not as good as BB but it is definitely better than the Droid 2 Global keyboard. I love how snappy and responsive it is. The screen is not the best, but it is still better than most BB's out there.

Only thing I am not liking is the battery life, but I got my the extended batter life from Verizon so that should solve this problem. Call quality is mediocre, hope a new update will take care of this.

Overall, Droid Pro is a fantastic device. If you are a BB user and would like to give Android a shot, this is the device right here.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
*My apps don't import contacts pictures, and that includes my SMS app (chomp), So I'm pretty pissed about that. on the BB I could simply link it and it adds the picture as well as contact info. I must be missing something.

Use Handcent SMS, much better than Chomp. Handcent uses all of the contact pictures that are linked to the actual contacts.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I saw this on YouTube. Its a hidden menu where the vocode can be changed for improved call quality. I have no idea if the Pro even supports this menu or if it works on only certain devices. Its worth a shot to see if call quality is improved.

YouTube - How To Access Droid Hidden Menu and Improve Call Quality HD

******Not responsible for damage to your devices....:)*****

In between all the F-bombs being launched in the Comments section there's one that states that this Audio Menu cannot be accessed after OS 2.1.Another post seems to imply that it's only available on the original Droid. :p

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just tried out that menu on my Pro which just arrived today and that option isn't listed. Oh well. Hey does anyone have any problems downloading gmail attachments? My brother sent me a .apk file and I can't download the attachment.

Last edited:

Lyric#AC

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was a BB user for 3 years. The BB was my first and only smart-phone, and I loved it.

I switched because RIM had the audacity to bring the BB Torch to ATT only. I just had to have business smart-phone with a touchscreen & a keyboard that is easily accessible. for one handed use. So when I saw the Droid Pro it was like angels singing "Ah". I've had it since Nov 23rd.

I love the customization, and multiple home screens.
I also enjoy how fast it moves.
The social network integration has kept me from loading all the different social apps.
The keyboard is good, however it is not an equal with my former BB curve 8530. However I no longer miss the BB after my hands adjusted to the cramping. (I type using the corners of my acrylic nails, and you have to press harder on the Pro)

I do miss the track-pad. You have to be so precise when you touch while you text, you cant just scroll to the end of a word, because there are no arrow keys on the Pro keyboard.
I also miss the voice mail dialing dedicated to #1 on the keypad.
I miss mostly the sound profiles of BB, there are none on the Pro and I'm hoping there is some app that does this.
I miss my BB battery. I have to charge in the middle of the day with the Pro and NEVER had to do that with my BB.
I also miss the auto on and off feature BB had, which also saved your battery.
Lastly there is no physical key that lets you take a picture with your camera. Being the queen of the self pic I'm not happy about that.

Overall I will try to find apps that give me the comparable features i had on the BB. But even without them I'm sold on the Pro for now.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store to play with it extensively. The call quality sounded decent. The person on the other end was easily legible. I got to use the Verizon employee's phone because he was using it as his work phone. For some reason, the one they had on display wasn't turning on (lmao).

Anyways, I love the feel of the phone. It is light and feels great in the hand. The keyboard is a little cramped though but I am sure I can get used to know.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
My wife might get this phone today but needs to know if the email is better and or worse then other android phones being that this phone is more like a blackberry. She really likes how blackberry handles email she likes the folders.

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My wife might get this phone today but needs to know if the email is better and or worse then other android phones being that this phone is more like a blackberry. She really likes how blackberry handles email she likes the folders.

Droid Pro handles email a little differently than Blackberry. When you first activate the Pro it is going to require you to open a gmail account...don't let that bother you...you don't have to use it as your primary email account. After opening a gmail account, and you can do that right from the phone, you can establish other POP or IMAP accounts on your phone using the menu options available on the phone. You just enter the information asked for, user name, incoming server, outgoing server, email address (name@account.com) and the password associated with that account. You can then select how often you want the Pro to check that email account and download any new email to the phone. gmail does provide an option called Fetch. Fetch behaves like the Blackberry BIS with one exception...the frequency that it "fetches" your mail is random...could be every 5 minutes now and later it could be once an hour". I haven't figured what the criteria is for when it checks your mail and sends it to you...but it works well. Fetch will do more than one email account, not sure how many you can set up, probably 5 or 6. When fetches the email from your other than gmail accounts it sends to you through gmail, but the email retains its identity in terms of what account the email was sent from and to. You can reply to an email received via Fetch and have the "from" address appear as if you really sent it from your aol or comcast or whatever account. I'm a converted Blackberry user myself and have not experienced any problems with email, business or personal.

cecdroid

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
As another BB 8830 convert, it took me awhile to figure out the D-Pro keyboard's shape.
Typing has become sooo much easier since i noticed the kp is split down the middle and all I need to do is nudge the keys from each side. QWERT with my left thumb and YUIOP with my right. Granted this makes one handed texting while driving more difficult, but apparently I should stop that anyway.

I have only had this phone 4 days and really like it a lot! Much more interesting than the BB. I set a weekend profile up, but it doesn't switch automatically. (must be my over-expectation of the tech - or under- comprehension)

I am looking forward to shutting down our BES! and saving the licensing expense.

Cheers,
Cecil