Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default Disable "Droid" sound during bootup

    Any way to disable the welcome sound of "droid" when the phone first turns on....this is annoying and embarrassing!
  2. #2  

    Default

    The way I did it is by rooting with the app "Z4root" located in the market and then I downloaded "root explorer" from the market. In root explorer go to system>media> then I renamed the "droid.ogg" file to "droid.old"....NO MORE annoying droid sound )
  3. #3  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    You can change it without rooting the phone, too.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    You can change it without rooting the phone, too.
    How ???

    I really don't want to have to root my phone just to do such a simple thing...
  5. #5  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Just go to menu, settings, sounds, notification, and un check droid.
  6. #6  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    If you don't want sound, put a sound less fine in the notification folder. Astro file manager is great for that.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Just go to menu, settings, sounds, notification, and un check droid.

    Well if it were that simple I could've figured it out. Not sure what android you're running im on froyo 2.2 and those options don't exist.
  8. #8  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwgraves62 View Post
    Well if it were that simple I could've figured it out. Not sure what android you're running im on froyo 2.2 and those options don't exist.
    What? I am running the same software, on a droid X. What options do you see under sounds.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm on an Android Pro. I have the following:

    Menu/Settings/Sound (not Sounds)

    Under Sound I have and an entire screen of options:
    Silent Mode (on)
    Vibrate
    Volume
    Phone Ringtone
    Notification Ringtone
    Audible Touch Tones (on)
    Audible Selection
    Screen Lock Sounds (on)
    Media audio effects
    Haptic feedback (on)
    SD Card notifications
    Emergency Tone
    Call connect
    Network Lost tone
    Roaming tone
    Software update alert
    Battery full notification
  10. #10  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwgraves62 View Post
    I'm on an Android Pro. I have the following:

    Menu/Settings/Sound (not Sounds)

    Under Sound I have and an entire screen of options:
    Silent Mode (on)
    Vibrate
    Volume
    Phone Ringtone
    Notification Ringtone
    Audible Touch Tones (on)
    Audible Selection
    Screen Lock Sounds (on)
    Media audio effects
    Haptic feedback (on)
    SD Card notifications
    Emergency Tone
    Call connect
    Network Lost tone
    Roaming tone
    Software update alert
    Battery full notification
    Perfect. Change the notification ring tone. That works on the X, don't know why it would be diffrrent on the D2. let us know if that works on your particular device.
  11. #11  

    Default

    It does work. I just changed mine on the D2. Thanks for the tip.
  12. #12  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Glad it works on the D2 also. The drooooooid sound does get old after awhile
  13. #13  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    And pro, lol!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    No such luck on my Pro. I have the notification ringtone currently set to pixiedust, so this setting doesn't appear to be the bootup 'droid' notification.
  15. #15  

    Default

    You can go into the market or app brain and use Silent Boot.
  16. #16  

    Default

    thanks, tucsonstan for the tip ... like jwgraves62 i do not see that one.....i downloaded the silent boot app, turned off the phone then power up, and the sound is still there :-(
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patotong View Post
    thanks, tucsonstan for the tip ... like jwgraves62 i do not see that one.....i downloaded the silent boot app, turned off the phone then power up, and the sound is still there :-(
    yep, silent boot doesn't work...
  18. #18  

    Default

    Maybe a battery pull would jump start it, don't really know why it would not work for you guys. Sorry about that
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    Well I successfully ran Z4ROOT, twice. It says I have root access. I have installed Astro file manager but when I try renaming droid.ogg it tells me 'insufficient access'. I have also downloaded Droid Explorer to my PC (amazing program) and it also will not allow me to rename this file.

    How can I confirm that I do or do not have root?
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwgraves62 View Post
    Well I successfully ran Z4ROOT, twice. It says I have root access. I have installed Astro file manager but when I try renaming droid.ogg it tells me 'insufficient access'. I have also downloaded Droid Explorer to my PC (amazing program) and it also will not allow me to rename this file.

    How can I confirm that I do or do not have root?
    If you have the app "superuser" then you are rooted. You have to download "root explorer" from the market and system>media>and then rename the droid.ogg file....I changed the name to droid.old (also at the top make sure you click "mount R/W" or you won't be able to change the name) Hope this helps
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    I do have a superuser icon, but no idea how to use it. I really don't want to pay for a piece of software like root explorer, especially since there are other's (like Astro and Droid Explorer) that are supposed to do the same thing.

    Am I supposed to do anything with Superuser? When I run Astro, it never requests superuser access. Do I need to grant superuser access to specific applications?
  22. #22  

    Default

    I sent you a PM
  23. #23  

    Default

    So was this fixed? I just got a Droid Pro and would love to shut the boot sound off. I am rooted but really do not want to purchase Root Explorer when I already have Astro. Any help?
  24. #24  

    Default

    I used z4root and have superuser access and still can't delete or rename the. Ogg file. I think us Pro users are getting advice from people who don't have Pros and have probably never even seen them. Ill prove it:

    Can we have even one poster confirm that they 1) have a Droid Pro AND 2) successfully eliminated the droid boot sound?

    $20 says none responds with a yes
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Dilbert's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default

    I have a PRO and successfully renamed the droid.ogg file. I used Z4ROOT to root my phone and then RootExplorer to rename the file. Voila! No startup 'droid' sound.

    So where is my $20?
    Last edited by jwgraves62; 02-02-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B