1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Default How does the Droid Pro stack up?

Hello, ne android user here. Longtime BB abuser but im now on a htc icredible. I like it but i seem to be drawn to the droid pro because it's like the blackberry ive always wanted. I am hesitant to get it because spec wise i have a few questions. I know the screen is smaller but are there any drawbacks on the device compared to the droid x? Is it slower, does it have a limited app market, will it be etting the gingerbread update? Is this a high end smartphone or is it just a entry level device to introduce bb users to android?
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    Hello, ne android user here. Longtime BB abuser but im now on a htc icredible. I like it but i seem to be drawn to the droid pro because it's like the blackberry ive always wanted. I am hesitant to get it because spec wise i have a few questions. I know the screen is smaller but are there any drawbacks on the device compared to the droid x? Is it slower, does it have a limited app market, will it be etting the gingerbread update? Is this a high end smartphone or is it just a entry level device to introduce bb users to android?
    Although it doesn't have as high of resolution as the droid x, you can't really tell a difference. Slower? Hell no. This thing is lightning fast! The 1Ghz processor seems like an overkill with the smaller and lower resolution screen.

Not sure if and when it will be getting the Gingerbread update, though.

...and it definitely isn't an entry level android device. If you are looking for entry-level, try the Motorola Citrus.
    Thanked by:
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Agreed. Definitely check out our review. http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-pro-review
    Thanked by:

I looked at the Pro in the VZW store when it came out and was disappointed in the screen resolution. Have had the original Droid since January and the screen is so much nicer than the Pro.

With that said I will be waiting on release dates of new HTC and Motorola devices at CES to decide how to use my 1 year upgrade.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Thanks. Im not looking for a entry level phone. I just really like the droid pro but needed to know if it was as powerful as the droid x.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

My first smartphones were Blackberries. The Droid Pro is my second Android device. My first was a Droid Incredible. While the Pro doesn't have the screen size or resolution of the Incredible, I find I can message and email so much faster on my Pro than I did on my Incredible. And this thing really flies. Very responsive. And one can assign actions to the physical keys as well as the side convenience key. No regrets here at all.

The screen resolution is disappointing. The keyboard is a little cramped. Even though the keyboard was copied from the BlackBerry design, it isn't as good. The phone is lightning fast though and has a lot of capabilities. It feels more solid than any BlackBerry smartphone I have ever used. I would definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 12-28-2010 at 11:34 PM.

"lugtbubg"? I assume you meant lightning! Using swype of 16oz Budwiesers?

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post
    My first smartphones were Blackberries. The Droid Pro is my second Android device. My first was a Droid Incredible. While the Pro doesn't have the screen size or resolution of the Incredible, I find I can message and email so much faster on my Pro than I did on my Incredible. And this thing really flies. Very responsive. And one can assign actions to the physical keys as well as the side convenience key. No regrets here at all.
    Exactly.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    ROMulan. Kernel...Sanders

Default My large a-- is still on the fence.

My new every two is coming up in March, and unless I'm wowed by another carrier's Android offerings, I'm going to get the Droid Pro.
    Feels great in the hands (that's what she said) and the device really is responsive. When I was playing with it at the VZW store, I downloaded LauncherPro from the market and installed it just to see what my Droid Pro would look like. I wonder if that was wrong though because I know for a fact store employees aren't trained on how to clear defaults

I will definitely get used to the keyboard, but my X's screen really has spoiled me. And now for the real reason for posting this comment: are there any Droid X users out there who wouldn't mind sacrificing their 4.3" screen and 8mp camera for the Pro? Maybe this is the definitive push I need..
    4 Blackberries-->HTC DROID Incredible-->Motorola DROIDX-->Motorola DROID2 Global-->Blackberry 9650-->iPhone 4.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Thanks all, im enjoying the droid incredible but once i saw the droid pro and seeing that i have a upgrade coming up, i began thining. The thunderbolt and droid x are nice but the keyboard is huge for me. A blackberry keyboard on a droid OS just seems too good to be true. Throw in the fact that it's fast almost has me sold on it.

Thanks all, im enjoying the droid incredible but once i saw the droid pro and seeing that i have a upgrade coming up, i began thining. The thunderbolt and droid x are nice but the keyboard is huge for me. A blackberry keyboard on a droid OS just seems too good to be true. Throw in the fact that it's fast almost has me sold on it.
    It's a good device but it isn't as good as the other high end Droids on Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    It's a good device but it isn't as good as the other high end Droids on Verizon.
    Says the guy that doesn't have one. No regrets here.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,921 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It seems that the deciding factor is whether or not the form factor is for you. If you need a portrait keyboard then get it. If screen size/resolution is more important than get a Dinc/X/Thunderbolt.

Processor is the same on the X and the Pro so that isn't an issue.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts

I would trade the "so so" resolution for a keyboard any time of the day.

The Droid Pro is my first Android phone and I am very pleased with it. I pre-ordered it from Verizon and so I got it when it first came out. I used a Blackberry for many years and so this phone with the front keyboard appealed to me even more. It comes with Quick Office installed and I can edit any MS Word, Excel or Powerpoint files. I have not yet worked with Powerpoint, but I have the other and it is so much more useful than the Blackberry for doing office things on the go. Since this is my first Droid, the screen size is much bigger than my Blackberry although not as big as other android phones. I like the Voice button on the front keyboard to do voice commands very easily. Speed? I am very satisfied. Nothing I have had can compare to it. I did consider returning it within my 30 days to get something with a bigger screen, but I really liked all of the features this phone offered that no others did and so its a keeper.

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Moving to any device is going to bring compromise. I went from a BB to Droid Inc for the speed, apps and screen, but sacrificed the physical keyboard. Gave that to the wife and got the dpro because I just had to have the keyboard back. Smaller screen is a compromise, but well worth it in my opinion.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Droid Pro

Thanks. Im not looking for a entry level phone. I just really like the droid pro but needed to know if it was as powerful as the droid x.
    If you left your BB for the touch screen experience (and that includes touch typing), then the Pro will not measure up to any of the larger touch screen devices. The Droid 2 might be a good middle option, with a decent screen and very good physical keyboard.

I have the Droid 2 and was eyeballing the Pro because it's keyboard is portrait mode. I like the idea of using my phone almost all the time in portrait mode. Unlike the BB Torch, the screen doesn't make it top heavy, and the hardware will be unlikely to disappoint. The phone is plenty large enough, unlike the Palm Pre. If you really enjoy the portrait typing experience and prefer a physical keyboard, then this is one of the few options for you that actually competes performance-wise with the likes of the DX, D2 and DInc.

I have had them all from the Evo to the Charm. This is my favorite Android phone second Android wise to the My Touch 4g. That includes Epics and Droid X's

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    It seems that the deciding factor is whether or not the form factor is for you. If you need a portrait keyboard then get it. If screen size/resolution is more important than get a Dinc/X/Thunderbolt.

Processor is the same on the X and the Pro so that isn't an issue.
    This is a key point. I just switched from the Palm Pre on Sprint (skip the jokes, please!) and I'm very happy with the Droid Pro. I needed a global capable phone that wasn't a BB (goodbye Sprint) and I'm very much attached to physical, portrait keyboards. Wanting to get an Android with that criteria really left me only one choice. And after every smartphone I've owned being a Palm, I'm very happy with the Pro.

I came from a BB and have been wanting them to come out with a phone like the Pro. This is a great phone for former BB users. It is great for browsing the web, has a larger screen and has a good keyboard. It syncs perfectly with my Galaxy Tab via gmail etc. I think that I have a phone that I can be happy with for a while. RIM, are you listening?
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CSI Guy View Post
    I came from a BB and have been wanting them to come out with a phone like the Pro. This is a great phone for former BB users. It is great for browsing the web, has a larger screen and has a good keyboard. It syncs perfectly with my Galaxy Tab via gmail etc. I think that I have a phone that I can be happy with for a while. RIM, are you listening?
    Glad the pro has worked out for you. I think RIM's response is going to be the QNX OS. We shall see. It will take one heck a a device to pull me back from android

You are right Smitty. With the Pro, I can sit back and see where the chips fall. The Pro will do me fine until a wonder machine comes out.