Possible to send from multiple email addresses?

anon(114490)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have my work email forwarded to my gmail account and using my computer I can send from my work email through gmail. I was wondering if this is possible on the Droid Pro or just on Android in general using the Gmail app. I am considering switching to Android but wanted to see if this is possible. Thanks for any feedback.

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have my work email forwarded to my gmail account and using my computer I can send from my work email through gmail. I was wondering if this is possible on the Droid Pro or just on Android in general using the Gmail app. I am considering switching to Android but wanted to see if this is possible. Thanks for any feedback.

(This information does not apply if you are using corporate sync)

You have a couple of options with gmail and your corporate email. Gmail has a function called fetch. Fetch will retrieve your email from your work email account and forward it to your phone automatically (again, this is assuming that your work email is not tied to an exchange system). With fetch, you can respond to email sent to your phone and your email address will appear as if you sent it from your computer (your work email address will not be changed to xxxx@gmail.com). Fetch performs this function depending on how active your work email account is, but not less than once an hour. The other option is to have your work email forwarded to your gmail account which will in turn push that email to your phone.

anon(114490)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
(This information does not apply if you are using corporate sync)

You have a couple of options with gmail and your corporate email. Gmail has a function called fetch. Fetch will retrieve your email from your work email account and forward it to your phone automatically (again, this is assuming that your work email is not tied to an exchange system). With fetch, you can respond to email sent to your phone and your email address will appear as if you sent it from your computer (your work email address will not be changed to xxxx@gmail.com). Fetch performs this function depending on how active your work email account is, but not less than once an hour. The other option is to have your work email forwarded to your gmail account which will in turn push that email to your phone.

Thanks for the feedback. Will I need to use Fetch since I already have my work email forwarded to my gmail account? Just to clarify, I have my gmail setup to send from my work email if I want to. I just want to make sure I can create an email using the Gmail app and send it as "my work email address" instead of from my gmail address.

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Will I need to use Fetch since I already have my work email forwarded to my gmail account? Just to clarify, I have my gmail setup to send from my work email if I want to. I just want to make sure I can create an email using the Gmail app and send it as "my work email address" instead of from my gmail address.

Now that is a good question. I too have my work email forwarded to my gmail account...that works fine. However, when I respond from my phone to the work email, the recipient sees "xxxx@gmail.com" forwarding email from xxxx@workemail.com", or something like that. There are some settings in gmail that manage how your email is addressed, I just haven't had time to play with the settings to see if I can get rid of the xxxx@gmail.com. I do know that if you use fetch you don't have that problem (if it is a problem).

anon(114490)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Now that is a good question. I too have my work email forwarded to my gmail account...that works fine. However, when I respond from my phone to the work email, the recipient sees "xxxx@gmail.com" forwarding email from xxxx@workemail.com", or something like that. There are some settings in gmail that manage how your email is addressed, I just haven't had time to play with the settings to see if I can get rid of the xxxx@gmail.com. I do know that if you use fetch you don't have that problem (if it is a problem).

That is how my emails show up when I send from my computer also. It says sent by gmail.com or something like that also. I'm not worried about that. I just want to be sure that if I do send one from the gmail app on my phone that when the person I'm sending to replies to it it will send it to my work email address. I guess it's not a big deal but I do appreciate the feedback and help.

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That is how my emails show up when I send from my computer also. It says sent by gmail.com or something like that also. I'm not worried about that. I just want to be sure that if I do send one from the gmail app on my phone that when the person I'm sending to replies to it it will send it to my work email address. I guess it's not a big deal but I do appreciate the feedback and help.

There is a work around that I sometimes I se if I don't want the "gmail" stuff on the email. I just go to the work account I have set up in the email app on the Pro and respond from there. Since the email is forwarded from that account, a copy of the email remains on the server even if it has been forwarded, so I can always go back to the original email and respond.

anon(114490)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There is a work around that I sometimes I se if I don't want the "gmail" stuff on the email. I just go to the work account I have set up in the email app on the Pro and respond from there. Since the email is forwarded from that account, a copy of the email remains on the server even if it has been forwarded, so I can always go back to the original email and respond.

That's true. I guess you could also setup the work email to sync with the phone separate from gmail and use some sort of unified inbox to just reply using the non gmail sync account which would take care of it too right?

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That's true. I guess you could also setup the work email to sync with the phone separate from gmail and use some sort of unified inbox to just reply using the non gmail sync account which would take care of it too right?

Yep, you could do that also...good idea. I'm going to play around with gmail and see if I can figure out how to eliminate the "sent by gmail" stuff. If I find a "cure" I'll send you a message letting you know what I found out. But like you said...it's no big deal. Gmail works pretty good.

anon(114490)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yep, you could do that also...good idea. I'm going to play around with gmail and see if I can figure out how to eliminate the "sent by gmail" stuff. If I find a "cure" I'll send you a message letting you know what I found out. But like you said...it's no big deal. Gmail works pretty good.

Very true. Can't go wrong either way. Thanks again.