Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default browser issue

On the blackberry there was a way to change how web sites handle your browser. You could have it render like internet explorer or firefox or the bb browser. This was an easy way to stop sites from defaulting to their mobile sites.

Is there a way to do this in android on the pro?
    Thanked by:
    Zorro1 

Using the stock browser:

Go to the address bar and erase everything including the http://www
    Type about:debug and press enter or click on go (no page will load)
    Press Menu>More>Settings>
    You will now have a bunch more debug settings at the bottom of the list.
    Click on "UAString" and choose either Android, Desktop, or Iphone"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nice!!!! Worked beautifully! Thanks so much.

How did you figure that out, btw?

Global Posts
    3,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Or, you can also try a third party browser that is so much better than stock. I use Dolphin Browser HD and it's awesome. I love swiping right to see bookmarks and left to get to the add-ons and tools. The tabs at the top also make switching windows and pages much simpler. Also allows to switch between mobile and desktop web versions.

Rey, I remember having the same problem as you. I found a post on androidforums that had the instructions a while back. As kjj pointed out some browsers have a way of changing this on the fly. Skyfire browser has a button on the main interface, I believe, that allows one to switch between desktop/mobile User Agent. Perhaps a shortcut using activities shortcuts with one of the custom lauchers can be placed on one of your homescreens for quick access to that debug menu item.

What does the iPhone setting do? I don't see a difference from the android setting.

Default Re: browser issue

Fresh kudos! Kind of cool, set up stock browser as desktop, Dolphin is set for mobile...