Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Default How To: Update To Gingerbrad Manually

Original instructions from here Manually Install Android 2.3.3 Update in Motorola Droid Pro | Android Total with some corrections.

1. Download the update file (the file is zipped) Download Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP and extract the update.zip file from the file you download DO NOT SIMPLY RENAME THE FILE!!!
    * Download the file Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP
    * Use a program like winzip or aladin expander to extract it. This will create a folder Droid pro 2.3.3 update or something similar
    * Inside this folder you will find another zip file called update.zip
    2. Connect your phone to your computer with the provided USB cord
    3. Copy the update.zip file that you extracted from the download to the root of your SD card
    4. Disconnect the phone from the computer
    5. Power down the phone
    6. Hold down the R and M keys as well as the Power button
    7. When you see the triangle with an exclamation point inside of it and the little droid logo hit the @ key to pull up recovery options
    8. Use the volume rocker to scroll down to the option apply sdcard:update.zip
    9. Hit Enter
    10. Let the phone do it's thing
    11. When you get back to the boot-loader screen again navigate down to reboot the phone and again hit enter......don't worry about the phone taking longer to reboot when done this is normal

Enjoy

FAQ:

How is this different from the OTA?

The update.zip file is the same as the OTA download, so the only difference is that you are installing it manually as opposed to waiting for Moto/VZW to take their sweet time granting you access to the update.

I Am Rooted. Is This Update Safe?

Yes, it should still work for you, however their is less of a chance of issues with the update if you go go back to stock first.

Will I Loose Root?

Yes, most likely

As this rootable yet?

Not that I know of.

Will This Void My Warranty?

No, it is Moto and VZW's update. You are just applying it manually here.

Could this brick my phone?

Anytime you do an update there is that possibility, but if you update a STOCK phone the chance is minimal.

This isn't working. What should I Do?

Go back and read the instructions again. The most common mistake is to just rename the download file rather than extract that and remove the update.zip file, You can also try downloading the file again.

How do I get back into the bootloader post Gingerbread update?

The process has changed with the new firmare:

Quote Originally Posted by google123 View Post
    To get into recovery post GB, once at the triangle screen using power + R+ M, press volume up and volume down at the same time to get into recovery and be able to factory reset, clear cache, or install update.zip......
    Last edited by VZWRocks; 06-24-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added detailed instructions on how to extract the update file
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Just out of pure curiosity do you work for VZW??? All I have to say is wow I can't wait to try this!!! Thanks a Mill

ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Going to wait for the over the air update, but thanks anyway!

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gdoctor View Post
    Soooo.. why reply? lol! I'm just messin!

I tried to do the update but it didn't work on my pro.

Worked great for my DroidPro (which was rooted not sure that made a diff though), thanks a bunch! I am hoping to see some improvement in battery life...will report back later.

how did you had the extracted file to your sd card? maybe thats what im doing wrong.. I keep getting the error that the signature isn't valid...
    Last edited by steven521; 06-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    dlh

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG G2 stock

Tried DL the file twice - both times it says the archive has an error. Any ideas were else to get the file?
    Android Convert
    BB 7130e > BB Curve > BB Storm2 > Droid Pro > GNex > HTC One > LG G2
    Verizon > TMO

have been waiting for the OTA since the announcement last week and still no push, thank you so much for this post! took less than 10 min and my PRO is now on Gingerbread!!!!!!!!!

jbak21...how did you get it to work?

I figured it out...don't extract the update folder because when you do you lose the signature...put the update.zip folder right now ur sd card and it will work....
    dlh

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG G2 stock

YES!!!! 3rd time is the charm. i tried the DL link one last time and extracted the update.zip. Nor error reported with this archive file this time. Went into recovery mode and everything loaded in. Rebooting now, GB is now working!
    Android Convert
    BB 7130e > BB Curve > BB Storm2 > Droid Pro > GNex > HTC One > LG G2
    Verizon > TMO
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by VegaMcClintock View Post
    Just out of pure curiosity do you work for VZW??? All I have to say is wow I can't wait to try this!!! Thanks a Mill
    Nope, though a lot of people seem to ask me that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gdoctor View Post
    This IS the OTA update, exact same file that someone fished out of their cache folder before applying the update themself. It's perfectly safe and I have been running it about 14 hrs now with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by steven521 View Post
    I tried to do the update but it didn't work on my pro.
    What error did you get? Also did you remember to extract the update file (unzip the file you downloaded where you will find a file named update.zip and copied THAT file to the SD card) Most common mistake here is to rename the download file update.zip

You CAN NOT just download this file to your phone.

For those experiencing issues try re-downloading the file.

For those for whom it is working I an glad
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Thanked by:

worked great thanks

with astro, you can extract the file on the device and move update.zip to the root of the sd.

mine worked fine, go gingerbread

(now if samsung would ever catchup, my galaxy tab would be awesome

Gingerbrad...lol

how do you find the SD card root?

worked flawlessly thanks!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Krehz-1 View Post
    Gingerbrad...lol
    Well considering Icecream Sand-witch isn't available yet and Honeycomb wont work on phones, the fact that this phone is getting an update to Gingerbread is a huge deal.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by mazda101 View Post
    how do you find the SD card root?
    When you connect to the computer to your phone you should already be in the root of the SD card.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by smithsquared View Post
    with astro, you can extract the file on the device and move update.zip to the root of the sd.

mine worked fine, go gingerbread

(now if samsung would ever catchup, my galaxy tab would be awesome
    Yes you can but the average user may not be able to figure that out and I was trying to make it as simple as possible.

Samsung will never learn, the Tab got Gingerbread when it should have gotten Honeycomb.

Installed. Thanks!

Just tried this tonight with the wife's phone. Worked perfectly. Thanks for posting this on here. I do appreciate it.

Keeps saying installation aborted.

It's saying "Can't open /cache/recovery/command"
    Last edited by Stang68; 06-06-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Tried doing this twice.. can't seem to find the fix for the problem I am and the others are seeing. I don't see the "update.zip" file to remove. Help?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast