Noob question about rooting-- please help!

sardine314

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still very new to all this rooting business. Nonetheless, I've successfully rooted my Motorola Droid (actually, technically it's the Milestone since it's the European version), and I read somewhere on this forum that rooted phones cannot receive pushed OS updates. I'm still running Android Version 2.0.1 (didn't think it was worth upgrading to 2.1), however, I DO receive the notification on my phone telling me to update the OS.

Basically, I'm wondering whether updating the OS on a rooted phone will cause it to become bricked or some such thing. I have not installed any custom ROMs (I can't, I've got a Milestone) and like everyone else, I'm anxiously waiting for Froyo. I don't want to do anything to my phone to destroy it for the time being. Also, if I update, will I lose my rooting capabilities (which have only just now become worthwhile since we Milestone folk can finally overclock our CPU's)? Your help is much appreciated.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It won't brick your phone, but you will lose root access. There is however a method you can do where you can upgrade to 2.1 and keep root though. I'm not well versed in it, but some of the expert rooters on here will chime in, I'm sure

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Rooting for 2.1

The method I used which may differ from the Milestone.

I used the actual program SPF or whatever it is called to flash a new recovery image to the Droid.

With the new recovery image in place I simply booted into recovery and flashed a rooted 2.1 rom...Bugless Beast v1.1 to be exact.

Easy and took maybe 15 minutes tops not including flashing a new kernel later and such.

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Toro do you have a Milestone or a Droid? If a Droid, you can root from 2.1 you just have to flash SBRecovery with RSD Lite and then flash a custom rom (MUCH easier than it sounds)

toroman

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Pipester, I have a Droid, and i am already rooted at 2.0.1 What i am asking i guess is does it make any difference between rooting one over the other? (more stable etc.)

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Pipester, I have a Droid, and i am already rooted at 2.0.1 What i am asking i guess is does it make any difference between rooting one over the other? (more stable etc.)

It shouldn't matter if you root from 2.0.1 or 2.1. Since your already rooted i see no reason to unroot to 2.1 and re-root. Just be sure to wipe data and cache if you flash a 2.1 based rom. (Also if you go back to a 2.01 rom from a 2.1) I usually flash everytime anyways unless i'm just upgrading the same rom to a newer version.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
yes the post above me is completely right. if your roooted and want 2.1 just flash a 2.1 based ROM that's all. It's got the 2.1 source in it. there is nothing you will gain by unrooting upgrading to 2.1 then rooting again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals40